PDA

View Full Version : If you own an FS 100....look at this

alaskacameradude
09-22-2011, 02:29 AM
If you have a FS-100 or are thinking about buying one.....take a look at this. Looks very good for those of us who have screw in filters of any kind......very cool!

http://xumeadapters1.gostorego.com/

Osslund
09-22-2011, 02:50 AM
Great concept if you use filters!

Noel Evans
09-22-2011, 02:59 AM
Def. a good idea - but that promo vid made me laugh.

robster180
09-22-2011, 03:48 AM
Def. a good idea - but that promo vid made me laugh.

...Yup, funny how he struggled with attaching a normal filter but had no problems screwing the adapter on?

Chris Johnston
09-22-2011, 06:19 AM
I wonder how that would work if you wanted to stack 2 filters? (say a var ND and a diffuser)

Grug
09-22-2011, 06:19 AM
Having instantly grown to love the magnetic filters on my Z96 LED lights, this looks like a terrific idea - no more fumbling and almost dropping filters as I unscrew them.

The only question I'd have is how much distance the adapter put between the glass and the filter, and whether it increases the likelihood of vignetting.

Chris Johnston
09-22-2011, 06:24 AM
The FAQ says it about the same as a step up ring. so.....guess it depends on your glass and wideness. (is wideness a word?)

alaskacameradude
09-22-2011, 08:03 AM
Having instantly grown to love the magnetic filters on my Z96 LED lights, this looks like a terrific idea - no more fumbling and almost dropping filters as I unscrew them.

The only question I'd have is how much distance the adapter put between the glass and the filter, and whether it increases the likelihood of vignetting.

I had the same thoughts about vignetting. My guess, after my experience with step up rings, is that
on very wide lenses, it would introduce some vignetting. But the idea is pretty cool.....even if the
promo video was silly.

roblc12
09-22-2011, 11:59 AM
I went to the website and I could only find the adapter for 77mm lens, wtf.

eheath
09-22-2011, 12:27 PM
pro kit looks nice, i only need one filter holder (for fader ND filter) and 3 lens adapters, buying that stuff separately is expensive.

EDIT: definitely concerned that it will vignette on my 11-16 though

DM_rider
09-26-2011, 09:01 AM
Just ordered a set, I'll post up a quick review once I get them.

Rick Burnett
09-26-2011, 09:13 AM
I've been meaning to post a review on these as I now have a set of them and have been talking with the creator of these filters quite a bit, a great guy.

For me these work AMAZINGLY well for almost all my lens. This is definitely the solution I've been looking for as I can move my variable ND between things VERY quickly. The pieces are VERY thin, so I am very impressed with the concept AND the execution. I would recommend these in a heartbeat.

Now, with regards to the Tokina 11-16 mm, it does Vignette on the FS100 and not the 7D. In fact, given how small the piece is that you attach, I really don't see how ANY filter isn't going to vignette at 11mm with the Tokina on the FS100 that has to screw into the mount almost! I am sure some are okay, but wow, there is little room.

In any case though, I just did two shoots last week with these and everyone was loving how well they worked. How quickly I could move my ND between lens when using my FS100.

jambredz
09-26-2011, 10:05 AM
wow. HAVE to get these for my 7d!! Im staying away from matteboxes so this is perfect.

Rick Burnett
09-26-2011, 10:32 AM
Worked very well on the 7D as well.

eheath
09-26-2011, 10:55 AM
I've been meaning to post a review on these as I now have a set of them and have been talking with the creator of these filters quite a bit, a great guy.

For me these work AMAZINGLY well for almost all my lens. This is definitely the solution I've been looking for as I can move my variable ND between things VERY quickly. The pieces are VERY thin, so I am very impressed with the concept AND the execution. I would recommend these in a heartbeat.

Now, with regards to the Tokina 11-16 mm, it does Vignette on the FS100 and not the 7D. In fact, given how small the piece is that you attach, I really don't see how ANY filter isn't going to vignette at 11mm with the Tokina on the FS100 that has to screw into the mount almost! I am sure some are okay, but wow, there is little room.

In any case though, I just did two shoots last week with these and everyone was loving how well they worked. How quickly I could move my ND between lens when using my FS100.

my 77mm faderND doesn't vignette on my 11-16 @11 but i feel like with these rings it will. But, after hearing this review, i might have to buy a set. It sounds like the perfect solution to the fs100/dslrs not having a ND wheel.

alaskacameradude
09-26-2011, 12:15 PM
Rick,

Thanks for the review. I think I may need to pick up a set as well.

Rick Burnett
09-26-2011, 12:50 PM
I think the solution for the Tokina would probably be an 82mm version and using a larger ND. I know they are looking to do other sizes as well. I am VERY happy they picked 77 as that is my largest lens size.

I will talk with them about the Tokina and see what they think as well.