PDA

View Full Version : FS100 for Live streams?

JChang
09-20-2011, 05:15 PM
Hello fellow DVXusers! I am currently in the market for a new camera to use. I have been eyeing cameras like the GH2 and the 5Dmkii for quite some while now but my dad has also developed recent interest which would discard these cameras.

So here is my dilemma. I want a camera to make short videos/ music videos, and possibly even shoot some commercials for small start up businesses. However, my dad knows of my interest and says he would love to use the camera I am getting for his events that he is hired to work at. These are usually ballroom events that consist of 200 - 2000 people. He provides the whole a/v package, sound, video, projectors, lights. Since this is a hobby for him though the camera he is using is a very small handy cam from the late 90's or early 2000's. Very unprofessional and he has gotten a lot of crap for it.

My question ultimately is: Is the FS100 a camera that is capable of being on and streaming video every so often for around 5 hours at a time? No recording will be done via the actual camera. He wires it down and records it on his end.

Also does anyone think there is a better alternative than this camera? Remember I will use this for cinematography also, which is why I felt as if the HDV were not as capable.

Thanks!

tanega
09-20-2011, 09:09 PM
No more firewire...also see this thread....http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?259185-FS100-into-a-MacBookPro-for-live-shooting&highlight=streaming+fs100

JChang
09-20-2011, 09:27 PM
Hmm, well he has never used firewire. I was thinking something along the lines of running it through one of it's outputs?

edit: That post also seems to be targeted towards streaming into a computer for the web while I am looking for something an output to the projectors that he is using.

Jarrett P. Morgan
09-21-2011, 09:44 AM
First off, welcome to the forum!!

I think that the FS100 will work for this application, but I don't think it will be ideal.

Based on what you have said about your father, I am guessing that he is connecting the camera via a composite out, which the FS100 does have (though as an SD, interlaced signal, as a compositie signal has to be). So it should be able to plug and play, just like his old camcorder.

That being said, he may have issues with focusing (not as good autofocus, shallower DOF) and trying to do live zooms (they will not be as smooth as a servo zoom in a 1/4" or 2/3" CCD camera)

So there MAY be some things that aren't as user friendly for him, but if he is willing to work through them, the camera SHOULD work.

If you provide some more details about his live set-up and how he hooks the camera in, that would help immensely.

JChang
09-21-2011, 10:49 AM
Thank you for your reply JPM.

Focusing is an issue that totally slipped my mind! Thanks for that. Will talk to him about that.

Here is all I know, as of now, about his usual setup for video.
Camera > Video Mixer > Kramer Video Selector > Projectors

The video selector is used for the host who usually bring powerpoints on their laptops so it is possible for us to switch between them.
The video mixer is usually used to mix in an additional camera if he has one, or part of the karaoke music videos.

That is all I have until I get to him about it.

Also is there a way to change the title? I meant to put Live Feed as opposed to Live stream :P

photog3535
09-27-2011, 11:44 AM
Keep in mind that the FS100, like all large sensor cameras, gives you control of the DOF. You don't have to shoot shallow. If you want everything in focus, first make sure you are using either the stock lens or another Sony lens that gives you complete control of the aperture. You may need to stop it down to about f8 - f11 to get a wide depth of field (no blurriness). You'll have to compensate by boosting the gain in the camera. And believe me, the images still look great with the gain boosted. I haven't done extensive shooting with the gain boosted yet, but I've heard from other people that shooting at +21db still provides an excellent image.

If you are looking at the 5D, consider the FS100 instead. If your dad will want to use a camera for streaming, it's possible with the FS100. Not ideal as that really isn't the application it was intended for. It's an affordable cinema camera, not a video camcorder. But if you're going to be buying either a DSLR or the FS100, I recommend the FS100. I have two DSLR's, a 7D and a 60D. Was looking at the 5D and went with the FS100 instead. At times I wish I had the extreme shallow DOF that the 5D has, but overall the FS100 is much better. So many more professional features that make it worthwhile.