PDA

View Full Version : Need Broadcast quality shot gun mic for documentary work

jzw
05-08-2005, 03:16 PM
I am currently a student at film school where I have been borrowing their mics weekly to do my own work using the Sennheiser ME 80 Hypercardiod Mic Capsule with the Sennheiser K3U Power Module. Now that I am graduating I need to invest in somthing good. Any suggestions on a make, model, and best place to purchase this microphone? I am not looking for something decent, I want something that sounds fantastic and I am willing to spend as much as $500.
People have recommended the AT 407a and AT 897 ENG, but I want to hear other peoples opinions.
Any responses will be appreciated.
Cheers,
Joshua

Duct Tape Films
05-08-2005, 04:55 PM
I am currently a student at film school where I have been borrowing their mics weekly to do my own work using the Sennheiser ME 80 Hypercardiod Mic Capsule with the Sennheiser K3U Power Module. Now that I am graduating I need to invest in somthing good. Any suggestions on a make, model, and best place to purchase this microphone? I am not looking for something decent, I want something that sounds fantastic and I am willing to spend as much as $500.
People have recommended the AT 407a and AT 897 ENG, but I want to hear other peoples opinions.
Any responses will be appreciated.
Cheers,
Joshua

Depends on what you are doing. Are you looking to BE an soundman? The stuff I own is the stuff I use when I don't have soundman present, and I have to cover it as a one man band. In most of those situations, it's a "you get what you can get" kind of situation, run & gun. I use mostly A/T wired or wireless lavs, and an Azden SGM-1X shotgun, not because they sound great, but because they're more or less abusable and/or replaceable. So the question again is, what is your planned use?

thisiswells
05-08-2005, 06:33 PM
His plan is cross posting the same message across multiple boards.
See more responses here:

Need Broadcast quality shot gun mic for documentary work - V1
http://www.dvxuser.com/V3/showthread.php?p=213658

jzw
05-09-2005, 11:57 AM
I am planning to do it all myself, and I am looking to buy a good shot gun mic. Thanks for the suggestion of the sgm 1x, I just check it out on BHphoto and it sells for a little under $200. Have you used any higher quality shotguns and how do they compare? I have the budget right now to buy somthing a little more pricey.

thisiswells
05-09-2005, 12:06 PM
If you can spend $750--you could get a Sanken CS-1, which sounds more like a $1200 mic.
My $0.02

thisiswells
05-09-2005, 12:08 PM
. . . Otherwise for under $500 but more $$ than Azden,
your options are the AT mics or the K6/ME66.

Duct Tape Films
05-10-2005, 04:39 AM
Personally, for one man band situations, I might advise to not aim for the stars, because the audio you get isn't going to be the best in the world simply by the method of aquisition. What I would suggest is to spread out your $500 or so between a variety of mikes to handle a variety of situations. That said, the Azden is a great value for the money, especially when paired with a good lav, if your subject matter allows you to lav your subject. Some might hesitate to say it in the same breath as the A/T or the K6/ME66, as would I, if your use was strictly narrative uses on a boom pole - but if your main use is as a one mand band run & gun mike, there is simply not that much to be gained by using a "better" shotgun, as opposed to a "decent" shotgun & lav combo. You can even use your savings to get a belt clip mixer, and a furry friendly "dead cat" for those windy days. Alternately, you can use the money you save to get a ENG soundman for a few days who will have generally a K6/ME66, Sanken, or above, that is if you develop a relationship with a soundman who will cut you a deal - HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY ADVISED....