PDA

View Full Version : small / light slider?

Dermot
09-18-2011, 09:27 AM
I am heading to India in a few weeks, normaly for doco we travel with an Ex1 & Ex3 / 2 x 501's / G2's, Me80's etc, etc...

Was thinking of takeing the FS along for the ride, in ultra light mode... body, short VF, Zeiss short & midi zooms as they don't need support hanging on the LA adaptor, and Caleb's side and top handles with one rod to hold the handle

Now typicaly i pack a large backpack with the 501's heads taken off the sticks, the legs just fit in my bag diagonaly, so my question is.. is there a slider that i could stuff in there as well?

Has to be light enough to carry the bag through customs... it weighs just under 45 Lbs as set up currently

I have shot in India off and on for close to 25 years now, i'm kinda used to being there.. looking at the little peli case of 8 x 32gig SxS cards and remembering carrying 16 cases of Aaton gear and stock for a similar shoot in 1988..... now it's all in a backpack and two carry on bags

thanks

d

mrk177
09-18-2011, 09:49 AM
I just picked up a Konova slider which is the same size as my manfrotto 190XDB legs when broken down. The slider is probably 5-8 LBS and 31.5 inches in length, it comes with a nice carrying bag, very smallfoot print. It works great with the fs100. I posted a video you should be able to find it on the fs100 thread. I hope that helps.

scottmd80
09-18-2011, 08:37 PM
You might check this out, if you don't mind a little DIY.
http://www.juicedlink.com/diy-cookbook/8ft-slider

legrevedotcom
09-19-2011, 03:40 AM
I made a slider from rig wheels and 2 manfrotto Chrome lightstands. You can devide the lightstands into two so you'll end up with 4 x 120 cm tubes. Assembled youll have around 2.2 meters of slide.

cinevateluke
09-19-2011, 12:43 PM
Hi
I just had a fairly extended conversation on the topic with another user, focus on our Atlas 10 and Atlas FLT product
The thread is here http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?260980-Accessories-to-make-Atlas-10-FLT-quot-Versatile-quot

ZazaCast
09-19-2011, 12:51 PM
This is actually the smallest, lightest slider out there: http://www.indisystem.com/products/indiSLIDERmini.html

Phil1076
09-19-2011, 07:19 PM
That indislider mini is a complete piece....I mean, I know "you get what you pay for" but it doesn't slide smoothly at all (keeps jamming every 1-2 inches) and the legs are not even...when I place it on a flat surface one of the feet sits a few mm in the air and the entire thing wobbles -- I have to shim the legs. Also, I had to tighten 2 screws out of the box.

I wasn't expecting much for the price but the thing just doesn't work as advertised...period. Too much hassle and shipping cost to return so I'll just keep it and enjoy my nice $165 paper weight (taxes+shipping to Canada).

Total garbage.

Edit: I just wanted to throw this out there....got an email from Tim at indislider...Apparently (I haven't checked my account yet) they have refunded the price of the entire order and are sending me a new unit at no charge. Assuming the new slider works properly, this will be my best customer service experience with any company ever...