PDA

View Full Version : Custom FS100 Top Handle update- taking orders in a couple days.

plasticam
09-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Hey all,

It's here. The FS100 PistolGrip handle. Here's the link for info and ordering - http://calebcrosby.com/page10/

Adam Wilt's review on PVC is here
http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/awilt/story/caleb_crosbys_fs100_top_handle/

Thanks Adam!! The first 20 Handles ship in 2 weeks now. I have to hold 5 back as samples so right now we have 15 available in the first batch. About 3 weeks after that we will have 50 available and a full array of rods in all lengths for kitting and building. All products will ship black anodized (clamps too) and the base plate will be pierced and tapped for two 1/4 and maybe two 3/8 holes as well. Otherwise they will come as pictured here exactly. We will sell rods unfinished for people using it like mini speed rail.

The product has gone through 3 fully built prototype stages at a machine tool shop that was started by my father in Maine in the 1960's. It is still run by his design partner. (They make automated assembly machinery, all from their own patented designs.) So it's handmade in the USA by real tool makers.

40433 40436 40435
It's affordable. Intro price is $225 for our first 20 sales. It has unique 360 degree rotation and we also designed low profile 15mm stub clamps in 1/4 and 3/8 mounting- male and female to save real estate on your rails. Above shows you what they can do. I like putting the Sony hand grip on the right rail like an Aaton. It's better. The monitor or an EVF is just right on a 4 or 5 inch rod. An EVF will not slip back when you press your eye firmly- which is important.

40432 40434
And yes it has the sexy black walnut handle. Wood is natural, feels good and is easy on the eyes.

Here are the clamps in use. you can see I mounted my monitor on op side and both mics on the dummy side. The clamps are super low profile and do not move *at all* when tightened. Shipping versions will all be black finished. We are also including an extra set of locking screws with each clamp so they can be finger tightened when speed is more important than full locking. They actually still lock amazingly well with just a quick finger twist.

A full cheeseplate that mates to current handle is coming next along with "another cool thing".

Email me directly from the order page if you have a question, glad to help

Caleb Crosby
http://calebcrosby.com/page10/
boston

Dermot
09-16-2011, 10:28 AM
whooooo hoooo...

how handy that i still have not bought a top handle yet!

next a walnut side handle?

d

plasticam
09-16-2011, 10:32 AM
Actually yes, I have a drawing for a walnut side handle that we are going forward with after we get this running smoothly.
Right now you can use our new 3/8ths female clamp to mount the sony plasticam handle down onto your 15mm rods. It is a huge improvement.

Caleb Crosby

Dermot
09-16-2011, 01:47 PM
I'm thinking of the ACL/LTR form factor with the handle slightly ahead of the viewfinder, and highish, like chin height

Could be space squeeze with a short prime + FF on the rods, leaving the handle no where to go but further forward?

maybe in the interm i'm going to get a short extension from the Sony side location, and attach the handgrip from my old CP16

d

plasticam
09-16-2011, 02:16 PM
Dermot - you gotta see my personal rig. I'm a default Aaton shooter. I want to get everything like an aaton to feel "right".
I make a 3/8th female clamp for 15mm rods, super low profile - very small clamps. I just mount that and screw the Sony grip that comes with cam into the 3/8 tap. With 24" rods, it makes even the FS100 start to feel "right". And you have trigger function in right hand again. I have my left on a rugged FF and it's a good set up. I need to get a EVF soon. My handle swings over to mount the EVF or monitor w/o needing another arm that takes up valuable space near the FF.

Caleb

MattDavis
09-16-2011, 03:22 PM
And yes it has the black walnut handle.

That's it. Sold. One's going to the UK.

plasticam
09-16-2011, 03:44 PM

roblc12
09-16-2011, 06:05 PM
Nice, do you have any side profile pictures?

plasticam
09-16-2011, 06:12 PM
40206Production units will be all black oxided. Dermot- thats the sony handle in "aaton position".

Dermot
09-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Caleb;

That looks awesome... count me in too.. for both of them....

One thought, i might use shorter rods on the top, i have the short Viewfinder, and i'm thinking i'd be stabbing meself in the forehead wit them;

Now do you have any idea's on how to move the LCD screen over about 7", and forward about 5" ;-)

d

speedracerlo
09-16-2011, 09:24 PM
Can you post some more close up shots of how the handle is attached to the 3 mounting points?
If you can add a cheesplate on the base like the berkey system, that'd be perfect.
I have the berkey system top plate and makeshift top handle, but the main rod is just a screw-in type and doesn't stay locked when pushed counter-clockwise so it's a bit annoying

moldcad
09-16-2011, 10:23 PM
@Dermot, is you matte box the Proaim MB-600? How is it doing?

MattDavis
09-17-2011, 02:51 AM
thats the sony handle in "aaton position".

Surely that's more the Eclair NPR position?

I always associate the 'Aaton' position as to the front and below the lens:

But do concede it's got the minimalist handle up top.

plasticam
09-17-2011, 03:51 AM
402394024040241we may put taps in this base for 1/4" threads- any ideas welcome.

plasticam
09-17-2011, 04:00 AM
Dermot, I didn't know about the that shorty viewer, I like it. yes we can cut them shorter, they have to be curfed so i'll ask to have some rods shortened as an option. Our rods are 12" currently would you say 7" would be right? We'll also be selling rods in 24" lengths.

The entire handle rotates 360. so you may want to just rotate out of your way when using the shorty. the rotation is also great when using the monitor at all, it doesn't block the view.

the long rods put a small monitor right where you want it when rotated. also when you use a couple rod clamps, it's good real estate for various gack.

The photo prolly doesn't show up well, but the grip (as opposed to the "handle") is on the iris rods to the right front of lens- "Aaton position!". ; ) thx for the NPR photo, its been awhile!

Caleb
15mm low profile clamps. will be black. 1/4 and 3/8 male and female. males with steel knurled lock nut.

Dermot
09-17-2011, 06:34 AM
@Dermot, is you matte box the Proaim MB-600? How is it doing?

Caleb;
Now that i see it in the "rotated viewfinder holding" position, i will go for the 12" rods.. i have short rods already if need be... now please excuse a short thread HiJack....

Pitor;
It's holding up well, lightly built, so takeing good care of it's the order of the day.. the flags flop about a bit unless a bit of spine is added with camera tape... no better / no worse than when new

the good things are still good.. it's very light, holds ND's, keeps flares down & makes civilians (and actors) think it's a real camera.

Back to the biz at hand;
two taps to replace the covered up one's might be a thought? As it stands i could see a use for somewhere to mount a tiny assitant's worklight for night shoots, and a mic holder for all the R-n-G folks.. the two taps should be able to cover that off? I know i can mount those to the rails, but it's gett'n crowded down there with a small prime on the nose of it...

Hella impressed with what you are doing BTW...

d

plasticam
09-17-2011, 08:26 AM
>two taps to replace the covered up one's might be a thought?

Exactly what I thought. we'll prob go ahead with this on the first 20 being made this week.

>I know i can mount those to the rails, but it's gett'n crowded down there with a small prime on the nose of it...

That's one of the nice things about this handle in general, it's made of 15mm rod stock we grind to a .589 spec. so with every handle you just x4'd your real estate for attachments. With the clamps you can attach any mic, light, monitor including
on the upright post which is where I put the mic receiver.

Hella impressed with what you are doing BTW...

Thanks Dermot, nice to hear. this is fun. I'm lucky to be friends with a good engineer.

MattDavis
09-17-2011, 08:47 AM
the long rods put a small monitor right where you want it when rotated.

And with those low profile clamps, I think you've just solved my problem on where to put a Sennheiser G2 wireless receiver. What's the inside height of that post? In the past, I used the belt pack loop over the handgrip's strap, but I could conceivably clamp it to the CENTRE post, maybe even one either side... and swing a Zacuto EVF from the end...

Alternatively, a couple of 1/4 and 3/8 holes to (thinking selfishly) take a Noga arm for the EVF on one side and a Ball/socket cold shoe on the other.

Probably a nerdy question, but on the low profile clamps, I'm guessing that you'd need an allen wrench to reposition them? And are the knurled rings reversed? In that I'm looking for a flatter wider surface to mate up to the device I'm screwing on. Alternatively, there's the Manfrotto Nanoclamp?

Visions of an almost 'Transformers'-like unfolding sequence from out-of-bag to ready-to-shoot at this stage...

plasticam
09-17-2011, 10:02 AM
>What's the inside height of that post?
2.5 inches. The clamp puts it outboard far enough so clearance is no prob. I have the G2 as well.
I'm trying to mount this to confirm, but omnipotence has seen fit that I not have my allen key set handy
right now, so I'm not freaking out or turning the house upside down, I'm just waiting for a sign.... ;)

>maybe even one either side... and swing a Zacuto EVF from the end...
You can also remove the walnut grip and have 24 inches of clean space for any mounting.
The end is ideal for an EVF, adjustable right to the eye- and you still have the handle to grab.

>I'm guessing that you'd need an allen wrench to reposition them?
yes, we will also have a finger tighty version ready for including in first batch. they will be interchangeable i expect. double function.
for hard firm mounting use allen, for monitor or EVF use finger tights.

>And are the knurled rings reversed?
yep. nice flat surface on one side, might want to glue some rubber to it to save gear wear

>Visions of an almost 'Transformers'-like unfolding sequence from out-of-bag to ready-to-shoot at this stage...

Right ;) the other adjustment you have is that when unclamped to rotate the bars will move for and aft, so it you can
dial in alot of uses.

Caleb

plasticam
09-18-2011, 03:18 PM
4031140312 Couple rough shots taken today with an iphone "3"- so not really advertising
quality ;) I just wanted to show the lego approach with these low profile clamps. The monitor is firm and adjustable to touch on two axis- it's good. The G2 mic is on a 1/4 male clamp. The Sony handgrip is on a 3/8 male. The Sony mic holder is exactly the same diameter as the 5" rod so I could piggy back clamp 2 in one. The Marshall is on both a male and female 3/8 with a 5" rod holding the monitor on a 3rd 1/4 clamp. I don't yet have an EVF but expect this 5" rod solution may be perfect cause if you lock it down it won't budge when you press your eye against it and the height is adjustable on the post over 2.5 inches. Oh yeah I found the spacing of the handle rods makes a pretty passable cable wrangler with a rubberized expandable clamp.

Caleb

plasticam
09-18-2011, 03:37 PM
40313<--rubberized expandable clamp
40314<-- lego clamps

thxdave
09-18-2011, 07:38 PM
"....rubberized expandable clamp..."

I loved that. Sort of like a "C47", isn't it? ;)

Thanks for a good laugh, plasticam!

plasticam
09-20-2011, 05:31 AM
Hey, I added some product shots of the handle and clamps to the first post in this thread.
The production units will be black oxided, so will look cooler. Which of course none of us here are
concerned with, but the oxiding will help with stray reflections on set too ;)

Caleb

plasticam
09-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Here is the link for ordering and more info- http://calebcrosby.com/page10/

Will have 15-20 made in 2 weeks and then 40-50 2 weeks after that.

I can't put pricing info here until Jason sends me the paypal info! Help Jason ;)

Caleb

plasticam
09-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Adam Wilt just reviewed our new handle here!
http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/awilt/story/caleb_crosbys_fs100_top_handle/

Caleb Crosby

plasticam
09-22-2011, 05:48 AM

These things are better than I expected and I'm the one who sketched them on a napkin over a beer.
They are camera dept. lego blocks. Everything I have snaps together now. and it's adjustable. A 3/8 female clamp on the top handle even permits underslinging from a Weaver Steadman arm or jib.

We are sourcing knurled allen screws in addition to the ones pictured. The knurled screws will finger tighty for monitors and wireless receivers. The regular screws will lock it down for hand grips and EVF's.

Caleb Crosby

stevedocmaker
09-22-2011, 08:30 AM
I love it! My only issue with the design is the rails extending back past the top knob. What's the point of this? it just seems like these will get in the way. Perhaps you can offer a version with shorter rails?

plasticam
09-22-2011, 04:14 PM
Thanks Steve, just finished a long day in Providence RI in a factory today and this handle was great to have. I already emailed the shop and asked to make up some 9" rods. Does this sound more to your spec? I measured and at 9, the rods just slightly block the monitor in full swing back position. but, if the 1/4" of block bothers you, just slide the handle forward a dite. Maybe a good plan is to order standard or short rods.

POLL QUESTION
12 inch or 9? Or shorter still? Would love to hear from y'all.

My reason for making them 12" was that when you rotate the rear of the rods clockwise you can hang a monitor or EVF off the handle rods from a 1/4 clamp- saving the expense of a french arm ($100 plus) AND the top handle is really better than an articulated arm because it is so much stronger. That's why I went 12". (I have some Scotsman in me and Itend towards efficiency of kit and wallet.) HOWEVER if you use the built in Sony monitor- I would go shorty style/ No question.

Other than that, using the handle on several long days now- I don't have a complaint with them long. I don't use the rotation clamp as much as I expected but when you need it - there is just nothing like it. Also I like the full camera protection it offers from anything above falling, but I don't even know if irrational fears "count" in engineering. I think they do.

Steve - I have 9" for you if you want them. If you need less, just tell me. Any one else prefer short? I got engineers with cutting blades in their hands looking at me like I'm stupid ;)

Figured I'd ask the shooters what they like,

Caleb Crosby
The FS100 Hoist Handle (?)

plasticam
09-22-2011, 05:47 PM
POLL QUESTION
Engineer just emailed asking how many clamps should he make for the first run. So far everyone who has bought a handle as also bought at least 1 clamp and some are ordering clamps only. So I just wondered if you do need clamps - what's a best guess on how many of which type. It will help me make enough so you get them 2-3 weeks earlier. The first run is underway now.

I use currently:
1 3/8 female to fasten Sony hand grip to lower iris rod.
1 3/8 female around riser post on handle to connect-
1 3/8 male to hold a 5" rod that goes outboard to the left and the Sony mic holding rod to the right. they share one clamp inserted half way each. it works.
1 1/4 male for monitor
1 1/4 male for G2 wirless

They are 40 and 45 each - Check with me, I'm getting shipping to be $15 for orders of up to 12. If you get dinged in the meantime - let me know and I'll refund you within 48 hrs.

Thanks

Caleb Crosby

LiamR
09-22-2011, 08:50 PM
I'm interested in one, but just like steve, I don't understand why the rods come back over the LCD, I would like to be able to run the LCDVF that comes with the camera, but I don't see how I would be able to with this handle? is there a model without any rods going over the LCD?

plasticam
09-23-2011, 05:15 AM
Liam R,

Yes if you don't want 12 rods - 9 inch or 7 are both good options. At 7" you have a half inch of rod in the front and the rear for additional attaching via a clamp and stud. I'd reccomend 9" as a good starting point. remember, if you loosen the large top clamping knob the rods can be moved quickly forward. I'd go with 9" and later for precision tuning - cut an inch off them, aluminum cuts easily. Any hardware store will do this for nothing or next to it.

This is what I liked about using 15mm rods originally- it makes the handle user modified. 15mm rods are our building blocks. They are strong, light and standard. Let's just say you bought a 12 inch (long model) and decided it was too long for your style. You can pop them out in 30 seconds, slap them in a vice and cut to length. Or you have some old short rods from an old Letus Extreme rig. Take my rods out and put yours in. We went to pains and expense to custom turn these rods to an industry standard .589 OD. A 9 inch pair leaves a 2 inch overhang in the rear which allows some area for mounting but doesn't get in the way of the monitor.

I think we will make more 9" sets than I originally planned- it makes sense. I want to try a pair myself now. On Paypal ordering there should be a place to specify stuff like this - or shoot me an email.

Really appreciate the comments, it's a big help.

Caleb Crosby
The HOIST Handle

LiamR
09-23-2011, 05:34 AM
Ohk, that sounds much better, will definitely give the handle a look and see how it goes!!

plasticam
09-23-2011, 05:42 AM
I forgot to mention, in seconds this handle swings over and locks down so the handle bar goes across camera left to right. This is great for tricky hand held shooting- because you have the handle on both sides of cam. Also with lots of stuff attached there is always room for a clean hand hold. Also in swingover mode - no worries with rear monitor.

I don't have a dog in this fight :) We can cut them any length you direct. You might want to try this handle in 12" mode first tho. The rotation function might grow on you quickly. It has with me. It's pretty cool.

If not there is always ACE hardware or Home Depot for a custom chop.

My .02 cents,

Caleb Crosby
The HOIST Handle

plasticam
09-26-2011, 03:55 AM
I updated the order page and added 15mm rods either finished or raw in many lengths.
I named it the PistolGrip cause of the walnut, but everyone says it looks like a gun anyway.
It reminds me of one of Q's weapons that pop up from the rear of 007's Astin Martin and starts
peppering away.

I'm now leaning towards asking the shop to cut handles rods at 7" for the short version which
leaves almost no aft overhang, or just enough for a clamp. That way you can just get the 12" version
if you want to experiment and cut to your own length after you inspect. If you go 12" we make extra walnut handles so you can have dual grips, both forward and aft. Don't have a price on add'l walnut grips yet but I'd guess around 50. These are very difficult to make.

Love any thoughts on this.
Thanks,

Jean-Philippe
09-26-2011, 05:57 AM
Hi Caleb, Great idea! I was myself talking with a machine shop and an engineer a few weeks ago about the possibility of doing something similar, inspired by the Berkey plate. I might stop my research and simply buy your product.

I have some questions. Could you please tell me how the mounting work for the top plate? Judging by the pictures, your plate seem to be attached only by the two rear tapped holes of the FS100, and juste slided in the cold shoe. You seem to not take any advantage of the taped hole bellow the cold shoe plate. I see this as a design flaw, since the force of the weight will be more present at this point (I have difficulties explaining correctly what I mean since english is not my first language, but I hope you understand).

I also think that a top handle plate for the FS100 that prevent the use of the standard handle / mic holder should come standard with a way of attaching the standard mic holder. It's so easy to do since the micholder is on a 15mm rod. I know we can do it with after marke clamp, or even your own low profile clamps, but I really thing that this should come standard.

Another design flaw I see is the inhability to quickly assemble/disassemble the handle. From what I can see, the plate is secured with allen screws, and the vertical rod is soldered to the plate. So it will be difficult to store the FS100 in say, a pelican case, without the use of some tools. If you could come with a way to quickly attach the vertical rod to the plate, toolless, we could permanently attach the plate to the camera and attach the rest of the handle when needed.

You seems to be close to the perfect product, but not yet from my point of view. Do you plan to make some improvements?

plasticam
09-26-2011, 07:02 AM
Jeane Phillipe,

Great questions, thanks. The mounting is more ingenious than you can see in the pics. I'm holding details back while we apply for our patent which is underway now. It is 3 point threaded mounting, it also has precision fins that slide into the hot shoe for a 4th structural fastening. What you don't see is the threaded shaft coming down from the top clamping knob that goes thru our riser post and threads into the chasis in the forward 1/4 socket on cam. It's robust. Yet everything disconnects in seconds.

The handle disconnects in about 15 seconds for casing. only the base plate requires a driver. Just break the top clamp and all the super structure comes away fast.

I actually use the Sony 15mm mic holder rod on my cam. you can see it in some of the pics on the ordering page below. It's the same diameter as our rods and they can actually share a single clamp the tolerances are so close. We can add a cold shoe for the whole sony handle - but removing the 15mm rod from their handle, exactly as you say - seems the better route. Their handle really is a turkey ;)

Does this answer your question? Do you like the length at 12"?
thx,

plasticam
09-26-2011, 07:16 AM
Jeane-Philippe,

The problem with mounting the Sony handle is that there is no real use for it other than the 15mm mic rod which you can remove from their handle and mount with a clamp. Our shipping version will have 1/4 sockets tapped into our base plate so a single male clamp will provide attachment for a rod. However 2 clamps attached to the riser is more elegant some uses I think. I can't tap the riser to make this work as a single clamp solution because of the shaft explained in above post.

So I'm afraid a clamp is required. A female 1/4 will re-mount the whole Sony handle pretty much anywhere you like on the top of handle. A male will connect the sony 15mm mic rod on the baseplate of the shipping models.

Hey your english sounds fine to me!

Caleb

Jean-Philippe
09-26-2011, 07:38 AM
Yes, that answer my questions pretty well. So the vertical rod is not soldered to the plate, but there is some kind of system to attache it fast on the plate that we can,t see in the pictures? Sounds great. Before to order, I would really like to see a video that show exactly how the assembly work.

About the lenght of the handle, I think 12'' is way too much. I would most likelly go with the 7'' one.

plasticam
09-26-2011, 07:56 AM
So yes - it is locked down solid on 3 axis points plus the dual fin engagement on the shoe.

I may post a video online today. I have shot one. It's very preliminary. My son just shot it at the table at his apt. but I'll put up something on vimeo with a link here later. It's ruggedly designed, you'll see. There are a couple parts I really can't show because they are the heart of a secure lock down. We went thru 3 prototype stages to figure this stuff out. This is ready for prime time.

I've used the handle on several long shoot days now - it's steady as a church.
(in the timeless words of one J.Conrad).

OK you asked for it- preliminary video flying up today. A real video coming in a couple weeks.

Caleb

plasticam
09-26-2011, 08:04 AM
[QUOTE=Jean-Philippe;2438619
About the lenght of the handle, I think 12'' is way too much. I would most likelly go with the 7'' one.[/QUOTE]

Yes it works out to 7.5 inches for the short model with no aft overhang except enough to land a couple clamps. I have asked the shop for 15 long models and 5 7.5 inch on our first run. Anyone else want the 'sawed off' version of the PistolGrip?

plasticam
09-26-2011, 12:11 PM
Here is our CAD for the handle plate pierced for two 1/4 20 and two 3/8 16 threaded sockets.
This is how they will ship. but with walnut handle ofcourse. That's hard to put into CAD.

caleb

plasticam
09-26-2011, 12:39 PM
40747 of course we can do it- it just takes longer ;)

This is the elegant design and drawing of Paul Erskine, head prototype engineer at MAI for almost 50 years now. Him and my dad have over 60 patents on machinery. They made custom assembly processes for General Electric, McDonnell-Douglas you name it. We're lucky to have him in the camera dept right now.

plasticam
09-26-2011, 02:10 PM
No video today. I looked at the video we shot ad hoc style and now I remember why I didn't cut this up last week. The handle is ready for prime time. The video is not.

I'm on this. Will get something up quick. Must be re-shot tho.

Caleb

plasticam
09-27-2011, 03:38 AM
I'm on this video, It's 6:30AM in beantown. got my old 5DM2 from son. Trying to have something up by early afternoon.
Coffee first tho...

MattDavis
09-27-2011, 08:51 AM

Marvellous - do I see 1/4" 20 threads in there? I ask, because they're not on the shot with the walnut handle, and I have a Noga arm that MUST be on there somewhere!

plasticam
09-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Matt
I should have explained better. The CAD with the walnut handle was the first drawing that pre-dates actually all the prototypes that were built (which I'm shooting now for the video). The CAD w/o the handle is the baseplate that will ship in 2 weeks now. Only about 10 left that are not spoken for. Then another 2 weeks we will be in a production flow. I'm planning to make 10 with 12" rods and 10 with 7.5 inch rods.

Sory for the confusion on that Matt,

Caleb

Rick Burnett
09-27-2011, 09:03 AM
Very nice!

MattDavis
09-27-2011, 09:09 AM
So it DOES have a 1/4" 20 on there? Gotta double check!

Just made the order - handle, 1/4 male (for Senny G2 receiver) and 3/8 male (for Rycote mic mount). The EVF goes on the Noga arm.

plasticam
09-27-2011, 10:30 AM
Hey Matt, thanks for the order Mate! I'll be standing by to hear a reaction from you I hope.

I mentioned we would include a 2nd set of knurled finger tighty screws for every clamp. Well I spoke too soon. Today after serious parts research from the Engineer and myself - well we both found the same part seperatley! It's the only screw in the world that is perfect, a slot head drive, knurled, steel thumbscrew in 6/32 thread, 5/8 length! Phew!!

Tighten and adjust just with fingers for most uses- and lock it down with a flat head driver or a coin as needed. Problem is they are $3.75 per! So we have to charge 5 per with shipping and overhead. SO, until we find another perfect screw solution - at the perfect price we have to charge $10 a set as an option. If you are locking and forgetting no need for them. If it's something you foresee adjusting a lot, they are really nice to have.

So your's are on the house Matt, but I have to change this info on the ordering page until we find a better screw.

Thanks again!

plasticam
09-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Hey Thanks up there Rick! The video is shot! or I should say re-shot. I would almost hit my target for early PM vimeo appearance today but now I have to go move my son's couch, or should I say re-move. I moved it last month too!

This video is never going to happen let's face it. ;)

It's really terrible anyway so you won't care that it's late: all one angle, over lit to see the parts clearly.
It's dreck. off camera narration live into a 5Dm2 camera mic.

Handle came thru well tho, she's a trooper.

Jean-Philippe
09-27-2011, 12:29 PM
I'm sure your basic vid will be enough for our proper understanding. I might order 2 or 3 of your handles after seeing the video.

plasticam
09-27-2011, 12:40 PM
40792 This is Paul's CAD of our shipping version. Extra walnut grips available if you want a dualy. (That's a word for pick up trucks in Louisiana.)

plasticam
09-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Sounds good Jean-Philippe, I don't actually show the internal parts tho. I purposely am not showing those yet.
It's because they work so well and we're applying for patent protection. So like most films - the best part of the footage
can never be shown ;)

plasticam
09-29-2011, 04:06 AM
http://www.vimeo.com/29772566

Curtains up-

Worked a 12 yesterday, up now for another right now. edited your new PistolGrip promo clip in my "down time".
Rendered while I slept for a couple hrs. How's that for your design team going the extra mile for you blokes!!

;) Caleb

plasticam
09-29-2011, 04:07 AM
http://www.vimeo.com/29772566

MattDavis
09-29-2011, 04:30 AM
I'm guessing that my camera bag really ought to have one of those allen keys... but I noticed that you use a screwdriver to adjust the walnut handle? Now, apologies if I provoke ire in asking such a question after so much hard work, but is there a connector one can use to join the walnut handle that uses the same allen key? Just thinking about the times when I'd want to slide a mic on the front, pushing the handle back a bit.

Really like the way the handle screws into the chassis at the front too. Probably the most solid part of the whole camera...

plasticam
09-29-2011, 07:55 AM
Hey Matt,

I'll mention that. Makes sense to me. An Allen wrench comes included with the handle
- we are fine tuning all the Fasteners this week , so thanks for the thought. I'm pushing to make things as
Slot head as possible and finger tighty too. I can always find a leatherman Or a coin or a butter knife in a pinch.
On set, gotta run

Jean-Philippe
09-29-2011, 04:59 PM
Very very nice! Thank you. One thing, I would really have liked if the vertical rod could be disassembled from the base plate toolless. It seems to be soldered, or machined in one piece with the base plate. It wouls have helped with packing (the baseplate bolted permanently on the cam, regardless of if we youse the handle or not).

plasticam
09-29-2011, 05:32 PM
Hi,

The riser can be removed from the baseplate! You only need two fingers as tools and three ounces of lift! ;)
I'm not showing it on purpose as I said above because the method we are using in that area represents our solution to the issues we encountered in the designing. We are patent protecting to the extent possible or I'd love to show it to you-

plasticam
10-01-2011, 04:17 AM
Jean-Philippe,

If you want to remove the handle for packing or shipping- it's about 60 seconds. To remove everything except the baseplate about
10 secs :)

plasticam
10-02-2011, 08:26 PM
Just about a week away from shipping now. Hopefully will have pics of final units by early next week. I can not source the knurled thumbsrews on the clamps affordably yet. The ones I've found are stainless steel and will have to cost an additional 10 per clamp. They are costing me 8, so for now thats my only option. All clamps will come with a set of included allen screws ofcourse. These knurled screws are both finger tightenable and have a slot head for a standard driver/coin. I'm looking for something I can include free still. We will keep the SS screws as an option right now because sometimes expensive is also a great solution. These screws are perfect.

plasticam
10-06-2011, 09:29 AM
I'm nearing a solution on those expensive stainless thumbscrews. The expensive ones are super nice and we'll include them as an option for $10. I'm searching all this week to find something we can source that can come included in our current 40 and 45 dollar pricing. I'll post what I find soon. We'll be shipping in a few days now!

plasticam
10-12-2011, 05:31 PM
UPDATE - All the parts are now at the platers. The 15mm stub clamps took a couple days longer than I thought last week. I think we made 100 of them in the 4 different sizes. So all orders placed so far should be shipping next week. We also will have our first batch of 15mm rods, anodized and ready. We are almost there. I will be updating all the weblinks and photos after the final parts are back so you can see final product. Extra walnut grips are available for so you can rig a fore and aft grip on the 12" model - the one I show in the clip on vimeo http://vimeo.com/29772566

An allen wrench will come included with every handle. I'm working on the thumbscrews being available for the first shipment. They are hard to source and I should finally have solid info with pricing in the morning.

plasticam
10-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Wow, just cannot find slotted thumbscrews for under $4. America - come on now! Anyone know a good source?
We have tried several, including McCann. Need a 5/8 length, 6/32 thread, knurled thumbscrew with a slot head.
SS, Carbon, alum, brass - I just need to find it for less than a dollar. C'mon America quit slapping me around!

Thanks,

plasticam
10-16-2011, 09:23 AM
Good news. The correct screws for finger tightening have been sourced and should ship with all stub clamps ordered so far- which is quite a few!
My thanks to DVX member sinapps, he sent me an ebay link for these elusive fasteners. good old ebay. Thanks sinapps!

The initial orders at the introductory price will include these screws free. Future clamps will reflect the extra cost but only by $2
per clamp. Soon we will offer approx a $10 option for an expensive spare set pair of knurled stainless steel screws with slot heads.
So there are now affordable smart options in place for adjustment and lock down.

We will be shipping orders very soon now and the clamps will come with BOTH allen screws AND a free spare set of finger tighty screws
and the free allen key wrench.

Stay tuned for photos of the final products coming soon. Actual sales film to follow in a couple weeks.

I'm casting the showgirls right now ;)

plasticam
10-18-2011, 04:17 AM
SHIPPING UPDATE

Orders already placed should be going out to you this week. The anodizing facility usually turns orders around in a week and they have been there a week as of today. We are very close. If you are waiting for your world's first PistolGrip handle- it is now only days away.

There are 5 handles left in this first run of 20 and about 60 clamps left in a run of 100.

You're gonna like them I think.