moldcad
09-14-2011, 03:22 PM
My FS100EK developed first faults (or I have only just noticed them):

- there is a slight battery drain when left in camera
- there is single stuck pixel (blue)

Am I the only one?

Jean-Philippe
09-14-2011, 03:42 PM
About the stuck pixel, try the black balance. I was told it can help.

moldcad
09-14-2011, 11:16 PM
Before I do that, may I ask those knowledgeable how it is done? If a stuck pixel is "mapped" and its missing info provided by the neighboring ones, it must be happening at the expense of some resolution loss, doesn't it?

If this is the case, I'd prefer Sony see the pixel, and replace the sensor...

Postmaster
09-14-2011, 11:21 PM
One pixel a resolution loss? come on, nobody with human eyes can see that.
Put a cap on the lens and hit black balance in your menu and you should be fine.

Frank

moldcad
09-14-2011, 11:24 PM
Haha... Frank, of course I don't mind a 1 pixel resolution loss - but if you admit it actually does occur, I wouldn't like to have to uses Black Balancing to mask a new stuck pixel every month or so :)

And while we're on it: why does the manual recommend black balancing after each lens change? This is my first exchangeable glass camera, so forgive me this naive question - I'd understand back focus adjustment, but black balancing? Please explain :)

davidwinters
09-15-2011, 08:08 PM
Before I do that, may I ask those knowledgeable how it is done? If a stuck pixel is "mapped" and its missing info provided by the neighboring ones, it must be happening at the expense of some resolution loss, doesn't it?

If this is the case, I'd prefer Sony see the pixel, and replace the sensor...

This is the nature of CCD and CMOS sensors. All cameras have and accumulate dead pixels, mask and move on. This only becomes an issue when pixels can no longer be masked, as there is a resource limit on how many pixels can be mapped... at which point you can seek a warranty repair or paid servicing.

dustylense
09-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Sometimes a stuck pixel is a very fine positive ionic charged piece of dust. If the black balance doesn't work do a wet cleaning of the sensor with a sensor pad and solution.

moldcad
09-18-2011, 09:29 AM
Anyone can comment on my last question about the need for black-balancing after each lens change?

Also, FYI, I have found that what seemed to be a battery drain by camera, proved to be a faulty battery in my case. This is a “Zoom” brand, 7500 mAh battery and I used to use this brand successfully back in the old days of my V1 camera.

However, I’m having problems with the unit I got; I noticed it was losing juice very quickly in use, but I thought that perhaps a couple full charges would return it to full performance. Unfortunately, the charger that comes with the FS100 never really completes charging it (the yellow charging light never goes off). After almost 12 hours, I tried to check the status in camera, and it shows 100%. But it still discharges really quickly when recording, and quite considerably even with the camera switched off.

Anyone has experience with the "Zoom" NP-F970 replacements?

Piotr

davidwinters
09-18-2011, 10:13 AM
Black Balance. I've had my FS for 3 months, shooting with PL primes, several lens changes per day and I've never black balanced. My understanding is black balance (for all cameras) is occasionally and to map out hot pixels. Certainly not at every lens change.

Batteries, I don't have direct experience with the Zoom brand , however my general experience with the low cost "generic" batteries is about 1 in 15 purchased does not hold a charge and will only power the camera for a short interval. If this is the case you may want to peruse a warranty replacement.

Whenever the camera is not in use we remove the battery, so I'm not sure if the camera has a small current draw when in the "off" position.

Hope this is helpful.

Postmaster
09-18-2011, 12:48 PM
Charging with the kit charger can take way more than 12 hrs. Be patient, the light will go out.

Im looking for a faster charger, because of that.

Frank

speedracerlo
09-18-2011, 01:06 PM
I totally recommend against any kind of 3rd party batteries that are cheaper than the already cheap Genuine NP-F970 for $97 on B&H photo
I only have 1 non-Sony (ikan) brand NP-F970 and it is worse than anything I've used
I have two of the Sony NP-F970 and I can run those two back to back on the FS-100 for 20 hours+
I also have the NP-F770 for backup or use on my TVlogic monitor although I also have three Sony NP-F570 for the monitor so that can run for almost 12 hours

regarding black balance, doesn't the camera do that everytime it turns on

moldcad
09-18-2011, 01:20 PM
Guys, Thank you for your opinions.

Re: the Zoom 970 replacement: I used two of them with my V1E 4 years ago, and had absolutely no problems with them. Also using the kit charger, they didn't charge much longer than the original Sony, in spite of higher capacity (7500 vs 6600) mAh. So, more than 12 hours charging is something hard to believe... Either I have a bad battery or the Sony kit charger has very low specs (Sony is skimping on things nowadays). I haven't got the old V1 charger any more, so cannot compare...

Re: black balancing, I'd also think it's done automatically at turn on (this is how it works on EX1), but the FS100 manual is quite explicit on that you should perform it at each lens change...

moldcad
09-19-2011, 04:34 AM
Charging with the kit charger can take way more than 12 hrs. Be patient, the light will go out.

Im looking for a faster charger, because of that.

Frank

Frank, I left my Zoom battery on the FS100 charger for another night (sic!!!) - and in the morning, the yellow light was off!

So, it took the charger some 24 hours (with a break) to charge it... Do you seriously think the battery is OK, and the charger a lousy one? If so, which model are you going to buy?

Piotr

MattDavis
09-19-2011, 05:10 AM
Yes Poitr, when charging them and as dawn breaks, it's the Mr Bumble / Oliver moment: it wants *more*???

I've got three of the little Zoom buggers, and have just bought a Sony ACVQ1050D dual-gang charger. At least now I can charge all three overnight (though the ACV is a serial charger, in that it does one battery to full, then does the other).

It's not been a problem as the camera happily shoots and stands by all day on one battery, but the imminent purchase of an EVF and a Ninja (although I want a Zacuto EVF, I may purchase the Cineroid as it shares batts) means that I am very exposed to NP-F batteries and will need a lot of them. Shooting for four days in a remote location, not wishing to set an alarm clock off in the middle of the night to change batteries on the charger (been there, done that, got the drugs to combat that stress) means I want to have a little line of 'dem tings' charging up *together* from beer-o'clock to breakfast time.

Now I come to think of it, maybe I'll go Zacuto and find a dual gang 5D batt charger.

But hey. BPU-60s they are most definitely NOT. :-/

moldcad
09-19-2011, 05:23 AM
Yeah, a good dual-gang charger is nice...

But can anyone explain in more engineering terms, why 24 h to charge a 7500 mAh battery, if the 4400 mAh 770 (sold with the FS100) only takes a bit over 4 hours, exactly as per the manual info? This means the charger is certainly up to specs!

MattDavis
09-19-2011, 05:40 AM
And I'm sure the Zoom batteries have a pessimistic 'trickle charger' circuit to protect them from more agressive chargers. I guess it's the price I paid to get three batts for the price of one (notwithstanding the lovely prices B&H offer those who reside or have credit cards based in the US of A).

adolgin
09-19-2011, 05:54 AM
If the Sony charger cannot authenticate the battery, which would give it an idea of the capacity, state of charge, etc., it switches to the safe “trickle” slow charge. This is most probably what is happening Piotr. As the 3d party battery vendors do not get to study the Sony internal design documents, they have to reverse engineer, which is not the most productive nor exact way of designing things…

MattDavis
09-19-2011, 05:57 AM
Alex - 'da man' and tip o' the hat to you. Thanks for that. It totally explains what's happening to all of us who have, ahem, non-standard FS100 batteries. (And now thinks perhaps should have got a TC200, sigh)

adolgin
09-19-2011, 06:09 AM
Glad it made you feel better :-) Btw, our 2x and 4x chargers have no problems digesting the generic batteries.

moldcad
09-19-2011, 06:19 AM
Da man Alex is, no doubt about it. But if that's what's happening now, Sony must have changed their chargers' design in the last couple of years - the Zoom batteries used to charge just like the regular NP-F970 on my old good V1E charger, in 5-6 hours max...

MattDavis
09-19-2011, 06:43 AM
Poitr, are you saying that your new batteries charge slowly in your old VX1 charger whereas your old batteries charge quickly? Or are you using the FS100 charger?

At the moment, it sounds like Sony have changed the design of the charger supplied with the FS100 (yes, much preferred the older ones supplied with the Z1s, which is why I liked the look of the Dual Gang Sony item).

moldcad
09-19-2011, 06:48 AM
No Matt - I mean the older V1 charger (which I have no more - sold along with the camera), and the Zooms back then, charged normally - while the current FS100 charger needs 24h to charge a new Zoom battery.

But I still suspect my battery is faulty, as it doesn't last too long on my FS100, either :(

davidwinters
09-19-2011, 07:27 AM
Thanks Alex... this explains my slow charge as well.

I bought a batch of generic 970 batteries and one charger f (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Charger-SONY-CCD-TRV35-CCD-TRV36-CCD-TRV37-NP-970-/220854851407?pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item336bf9974f)or each battery. If the batteries are depleted to the bottom each takes more than 20 hours to charge. My solution was to buy enough batteries to change out the TV Logic and camera at lunch time each day, with partial capacity remaining. This allows all batteries to be fully topped overnight, ready for the next day.

moldcad
09-19-2011, 07:31 AM
Thanks Alex... this explains my slow charge as well.

I bought a batch of generic 970 batteries and one charger f (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Charger-SONY-CCD-TRV35-CCD-TRV36-CCD-TRV37-NP-970-/220854851407?pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item336bf9974f)or each battery. If the batteries are depleted to the bottom each takes more than 20 hours to charge. My solution was to buy enough batteries to change out the TV Logic and camera at lunch time each day, with partial capacity remaining. This allows all batteries to be fully topped overnight, ready for the next day.

Are these generic charges any faster on generic replacement batteries, than the FS100 kit charger?

Postmaster
09-19-2011, 07:34 AM
Same game here with no name batteries - close to 24hrs.
But I use a v-mount battery 90% of the time.
So for the few times I run with the bare camera (stealth mode) I can live with that.

Frank

moldcad
09-19-2011, 07:45 AM
Are these generic charges any faster on generic replacement batteries, than the FS100 kit charger?

Actually, an answer to this question is quite important - because if such chargers are faster with non-Sony batteries, we're witnessing a change in Sony's strategy towards the replacement industry: previously, it was the cameras that refused to recognize them; now the FS100 apparently work OK with them, but the kit charger only treats them with what Alex called “trickle" charge...

Which would mean my Zoom may be just OK, and I need one of those cheap generic chargers for it, with the kit Sony for Sony batteries only.

moldcad
09-19-2011, 08:16 AM
Same game here with no name batteries - close to 24hrs.
But I use a v-mount battery 90% of the time.
So for the few times I run with the bare camera (stealth mode) I can live with that.

Frank

Frank,

I assume your V-mount is 14.4V - how do you transform to the 7.2V required? I'm also using a large battery (PAGlok) as my shouldemount counterweight, and with the EX1 it powered the camera - but with the FS100,I only was planning to use it for the nanoFlash, Z-finder EVF (and occasionally,a light).

davidwinters
09-19-2011, 10:12 AM
Piotr,

The generic chargers, which I purchased on ebay, charge the generic batts at the same (slow) rate as the Sony OEM charger. My working solution has been a 1:1 ratio of batts to chargers, plus changing out batteries before each is fully depleted. This workflow yields fully charged batteries in less than 8-12 hours. Which means I can shoot multiple days in a row, with all charging occurring at night.

In practice, on a 10 hour "shoot day," one battery swap at lunch time is all that is needed.

Postmaster
09-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Frank,

I assume your V-mount is 14.4V - how do you transform to the 7.2V required? I'm also using a large battery (PAGlok) as my shouldemount counterweight, and with the EX1 it powered the camera - but with the FS100,I only was planning to use it for the nanoFlash, Z-finder EVF (and occasionally,a light).

I got this here: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/2011/07/04/power-your-whole-rig-from-one-v-mount-all-voltages-plus-hdmi-spillter-usb-charger/

Frank

morgan_moore
09-19-2011, 03:26 PM
Black Balance.

If you shoot a long exposure on a still camera, say 8 seconds, the camera will be inoperable for 16 seconds

the second 8 seconds it is recording 8 seconds of black

The two files are then put together in a manner that can be used to cancel out noise improving the SN ratio, because you 'know' the 'N' and can then calculate the 'S'

I guess the same thing is occuring in some manner

S

Gary W
09-19-2011, 03:59 PM
Frank, when you have time can you post a picture to show how you modified
the spiral cord to attach to your FS100. Thanks in advance.

I got this here: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/2011/07/04/power-your-whole-rig-from-one-v-mount-all-voltages-plus-hdmi-spillter-usb-charger/

Frank

Rick Burnett
09-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Black Balance.

If you shoot a long exposure on a still camera, say 8 seconds, the camera will be inoperable for 16 seconds

the second 8 seconds it is recording 8 seconds of black

The two files are then put together in a manner that can be used to cancel out noise improving the SN ratio, because you 'know' the 'N' and can then calculate the 'S'

I guess the same thing is occuring in some manner

S

This cannot be the case with the FS100 because there is no shutter to block light from the sensor, which is unlike the AF100 which does have a black balance shutter. My understanding is placing the cap on the front of the lens, which it tells you to do in the docs, and then using the black balance, allows the sensor to determine where black is. If any of the pixels are hotter than the others, or have an accumulation of internal noise on them, higher statistically than the other pixels, it could then know that and adjust those pixels accordingly.

I do not do this very often, I just never see a problem. If I had a bad pixel, I would of course do this to remap the pixel.

morgan_moore
09-19-2011, 11:01 PM
Indeed the same conceptual process, but I guess the black file is not made for every frame (my MFDB only makes a new black file for every frame for long exposures)

With the FS I guess the sensor characteristics change with ambient temperature etc so making a regular BB has a theoretically good effect that probably doesnt really show in daily use

S

Rick Burnett
09-20-2011, 07:38 AM
Both the AF and the FS do not do this every frame, although I imagine when processing power gets faster and faster, I could see this as a positive feature.

And definitely, as the temperature gets higher on the sensor, noise is going to increase. Of course, that increase will be everywhere.

That said, it really is a matter of exposure times as well, as you've said. With my camera, long exposure is the only time I've had real problems with hot pixels, per say. With video, the times are generally 1/48 or less mostly (not that fast shot stuff or for effect isn't used, but is not really the norm).

With both the AF and FS, I never really needed to black balance. When I thought I did, I'd do it, look at the results, and didn't really see an appreciable change. Maybe looking at the footage 1:1 would be different, but it was certainly no night and day difference! :)