PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Black and White on FS-100

jmcneile
09-14-2011, 10:40 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm shooting a feature on my FS-100 soon, and the director and I have decided to shoot it in black and white. Has anyone shot directly to B/W in the FS-100, and if so, I'd love to see some samples along with picture profiles.

Any suggestions regarding this are totally welcome. Also, I don't want to shoot in color on the camera (and correct in post) because I want to be able to monitor the B/W from the camera on set.

Thanks for your help.

- Jordan

(first post here...)

Dermot
09-14-2011, 10:58 AM
errrr... the camera (as all digital camera's do ) resolves red, green & blue.. it does not shoot trad "B&W"

turning sat down in the camera would in theory make the most of what the codec has on offer tho.

If i was testing this i would use one of Frank's settings, or AbleCIne's tecnicolor setting - and bring in the footage in linear, and apply a Kodak vision print stock LUT

d

Phil1076
09-14-2011, 11:20 AM
Personally, I think it's a horrible idea to want to shoot in BW...just shoot it in normal color and apply your desired settings in post. There are so many black and white styles to choose from and once you find the one you like, it's trivial to copy it to the other clips. I don't understand why you'd cripple your footage from the get-go.

cheezweezl
09-14-2011, 04:13 PM
Killing the saturation in camera would, in theory, lighten the load on the codec and possibly provide more detail and less artifacts in some situations. As long as you keep your contrast very flat, you will be able to decide what kind of look you want in post regardless. Maybe don't kill the saturation completely, just in case you wanted some color later on.

sinapps
09-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Set your external monitor to BW, but capture in full color.

jmcneile
09-15-2011, 01:42 AM
Thanks for all the responses everyone. I am aware that the sensor captures color. I am also aware that I would be limiting my options in post by taking out the saturation in camera, but the director is demanding B/W. This is almost a no-budget shoot, so monitoring is extremely limited if non-existent.

Given these circumstances along with the challenges that go along with lighting for B/W (especially in a super low-budget environment), I think it's in my best interest to commit to B/W... because I'm going to light it completely differently in the first place... and the makeup will be in all kinds of wacky colors.

Does anyone have any experience with this at all?