PDA

View Full Version : Manual "film-style" lens for Sony E mount

lrtv
09-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Was in display at the Alphatron booth in IBC. F/2.8, wide zoom. Word was more is in pipeline.

fwiw

/Rob

lrtv
09-12-2011, 12:38 AM
Here is a link to manufacturer
http://www.zunow.tv/E-Mount/Zunow-SWV-E11-16.html

eheath
09-12-2011, 12:58 AM
if its a manual lens, then whats the point of it being a-mount?

EDIT: i meant to say EMOUNT

mico
09-12-2011, 03:01 AM
E mount not a. Considering it looks like a cinevized tokina if the price is considerably cheaper than the duclos, that would be the point.

AtticusLake
09-12-2011, 08:10 AM
if its a manual lens, then whats the point of it being a-mount?

E-mount has a very short flange focal distance, which should make it easier to make wide lenses. So, if they've taken full advantage of that in their design (as opposed to making a design which can be adapted to F-mount, e.g.), then the lens should be smaller, lighter and cheaper for a given quality and speed. That's my understanding, anyhow.

If it is a cinevized Tokina, then that wouldn't apply (which would be a shame).

alaskacameradude
09-12-2011, 08:25 AM
Was in display at the Alphatron booth in IBC. F/2.8, wide zoom. Word was more is in pipeline.

fwiw

/Rob

That is sweet! 11-16 F2.8 in native e mount? And more coming? I'm really glad to see this. Those e mount lenses just 'talk' to the
camera better than any third party lens with adapter. So if they can 'port over' a bunch of the popular lenses to e mount, I think
that will be a really good thing for all of us with FS 100's. Thanks a bunch for the info!

dop16mm
09-12-2011, 08:31 AM
I'm thinking the price point would be key. I assume in these custom housing solutions, most of the cost must be in the barrel mechanics more so than the mount. If the cost can't be significantly cheaper it makes more sense to make the investment in PL.

What I would like to see is one of these custom optics places to find a relatively affordable option for the 18-100 mm range, probably in 2 lenses for optimum weight and speed. Are there any current lenses suitable for conversion that don't telescope?

optitek
09-12-2011, 09:15 AM
It's a beautiful looking lens but E-mount makes absolutely no sense. What a waste....

alaskacameradude
09-12-2011, 09:24 AM
It's a beautiful looking lens but E-mount makes absolutely no sense. What a waste....

Well, maybe not for you, but it makes great sense for me. I'll be buying one as soon as I can.

optitek
09-12-2011, 09:46 AM
I've worked on dozens of conversions over the years. This conversion 10 years ago would cost 12-15 K$
I will be very surprised if it costs below $6K today
Are you still in?

alaskacameradude
09-12-2011, 02:34 PM
I've worked on dozens of conversions over the years. This conversion 10 years ago would cost 12-15 K$
Are you still in?

Well price will obviously be key....for sure. We will see what they charge, but it would not surprise me at all if it was less than $6k today.
I'd love to get some 'cine' glass that was e mount for the FS100. Not sure exactly at what price point I'd 'cut off' but I'd be willing to pay
a decent amount.

Grug
09-12-2011, 06:04 PM
It's a tough call, when you're looking at a lens priced around the same amount as the camera body you're using it on - you'd want to be able to hold on to it for a long time - but when the lens mount is a rarer one like the e-mount, the likelihood of carrying the lens over to a later camera (given most people look to move upwards to PL-mount stuff) is kinda slim.

Great that the market is responding so rapidly to these cameras though, I'd love to know the price point on this thing.

dop16mm
09-12-2011, 08:46 PM
I'm not sure I see the point of a cinevised 11-16, its not like your really pulling focus at those focal lengths. If the new a-mount adapter works well, I'd just get that and the tokina.

optitek
09-12-2011, 09:48 PM
I'm not sure I see the point of a cinevised 11-16, its not like your really pulling focus at those focal lengths. If the new a-mount adapter works well, I'd just get that and the tokina.
It hasn't got much to do with pulling focus- it's mostly to look pro and charge accordingly. Plus it's a very nice looking lens conversion....

mico
09-13-2011, 02:58 AM
Are you still in?

Surprise.

http://www.ducloslenses.com/Duclos_Lenses/PL116.html

LiamR
09-13-2011, 03:06 AM
That's not so bad now, although that example footage shot on the RED does not sell the lens to me at all, looked over-exposed and not sharp...

optitek
09-13-2011, 06:42 AM
Surprise.

http://www.ducloslenses.com/Duclos_Lenses/PL116.html
HAha I've known Paul for 20 years- he 's located 20 minutes from me. These two conversions are completely different- if you knew anything about that you wouldn't even mention it. There are even cheaper PL conversions like Pauls. Not in the same league .....

alaskacameradude
09-13-2011, 07:59 AM
HAha I've known Paul for 20 years- he 's located 20 minutes from me. These two conversions are completely different- if you knew anything about that you wouldn't even mention it. There are even cheaper PL conversions like Pauls. Not in the same league .....

So are you saying it is more expensive to convert a still lens to a 'cine' lens in e mount than it is to convert a still lens to a 'cine' lens with PL mount?

optitek
09-13-2011, 09:52 AM
The mount is irrelevant at least in this case of converting deeply retrofocal SLR lens. It's the amount of parts and work involved. Zunow is easily double the number of parts and complexity. But I guess we'll see.... I seriously doubt it will see the light of day- the Zunow that is.....

CaptainSKA
10-19-2011, 05:59 AM
Listed at 4729.95 @ B&H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/826121-REG/Zunow_SWV_E11_16_SUPER_WIDE_ZOOMLNS_f_NEX_FS100_VG 10_20.html

mico
10-19-2011, 06:00 AM
Are you still in?

Surprise again. $4,729

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/826121-REG/Zunow_SWV_E11_16_SUPER_WIDE_ZOOMLNS_f_NEX_FS100_VG 10_20.html

David W. Jones
10-19-2011, 06:12 AM
As often as we change cameras, say every 3 years for example, it make no sense to tie up funds in native mount lenses when your next camera may have a different mount. My funds have been diverted from buying native mount lenses, to purchasing PL mount lenses that will adapt to any of my future camera purchases.

Searcher
10-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Yes I have bought a little set of old Nikon primes. I will use them for a few years and then make a jump to PL. I don't see the sense in going halfway.