PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre audio problem with my FS100

TMDFilms
09-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Hello guys,

I have an odd audio problem crop up on my FS100. Just recently, it has been producing a quiet audio beep every second or so during recording. It directly corresponds to the memory card tally light. When data is writing to the card, there is a beep. I can only hear this beep if my ear is placed directly next to the body.

A beeping camera is really not an issue, but when it somehow bleeds into the audio recording, then it becomes a big problem. All of my recordings now have a faint audio beep every second.

I've tried about everything I could think of. I get no change with different; mics, cables, memory cards, and batteries. I still have the beeps when nothing is connected to the camera. But only get recorded beeps when an XLR mic is connected. Another thing I noticed is the beeps are faster in S&Q 60p mode. I'm guessing data is writing to the card much faster in this mode.

Has anybody experienced this problem with their FS100?

Thanks, Damon

Paul Hudson
09-09-2011, 06:49 PM
Odd. The same thing was happening to HPX 500's about four years ago. They fixed it if you sent it in. Jan?

AtticusLake
09-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Sorry to hear that! I can't hear anything on mine.... sounds like maybe some crosstalk to the built-in speaker...? Did you try turning down the playback volume?

morgan_moore
09-09-2011, 10:04 PM
Hello guys,

I have an odd audio problem crop up on my FS100. Just recently, it has been producing a quiet audio beep every second or so during recording.

I have had the same issue

I have not had the resources to check it out fully yet

My guess was that it was coming from my Lav, maybe due to its placement near my Vlock battery creating some kind of 'magnetic or radio pulse' when power was drawn from the battery

I would do some experiments with different mic leads (and qualities), position of lav receivers etc

S

TMDFilms
09-10-2011, 12:44 AM
Sorry to hear that! I can't hear anything on mine.... sounds like maybe some crosstalk to the built-in speaker...? Did you try turning down the playback volume?

I tried turning down the playback volume, but the beeps still record.

My guess was that it was coming from my Lav, maybe due to its placement near my Vlock battery creating some kind of 'magnetic or radio pulse' when power was drawn from the battery

I would do some experiments with different mic leads (and qualities), position of lav receivers etc

I did some further testing and noticed the right channel (2) is more affected than the left. I did try three different microphones plugged in different inputs but still have the same results. I striped the camera down to just camera and microphone but still have beeps. Adjusting the trim level and gain level doesn't affect it. Factory reset didn't help. I've also tried recording in different locations just in case it was some sort of radio interference and still have the same result. What's odd is the intensity of the beeps can vary. Yesterday, I was getting strong beeps, but today with the same settings the beeps are quieter.

I guess the camera is going back to Sony. What worries me is this was not happening a few weeks ago. And I've been using this camera since mid June with the same external setup and settings.

Thanks for your help guys,
Damon

TMDFilms
09-10-2011, 01:31 AM
Ok, this is odd. Early I said I tried different memory cards. Which were two new SanDisk 16GB Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I (45MB/s) cards. I tried an older SanDisk card I had in my DSLR. It's the 16GB Extreme SDHC (30MB/s). Both class 10. Well, the older SanDisk card somehow does not record the audio beeps. I've swapped back and forth between the new and old card and every time the results are the same. I don't see how this is possible. Not unless the FS100 is having troubles writing to the newer SanDisk card which is creating some sort of resistance in the circuitry. (I'm not an engineer :shocked:)

Unfortunately, the beeps can still be heard through the audio monitoring. This will drive my audio operator crazy with one second interval beeps while recording.

What cards are you guys using? Anybody using the new UHS-I SanDisk cards?

Thanks, Damon

morgan_moore
09-10-2011, 01:35 AM
Considering the routing of CH2 near the card it makes sense that the writing operation is putting out some sort of intereferance

Scan disk extreme, 32G, 30mbs class10 is my (only) card

S

my use of itialics means I do not have sufficient technical knowledge to comment but am making a guess

Paul Hudson
09-10-2011, 04:40 AM
I wonder?
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/archive/index.php/t-120407.html

ectobuilder
09-10-2011, 07:24 AM
Ok, this is odd. Early I said I tried different memory cards. Which were two new SanDisk 16GB Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I (45MB/s) cards. I tried an older SanDisk card I had in my DSLR. It's the 16GB Extreme SDHC (30MB/s). Both class 10. Well, the older SanDisk card somehow does not record the audio beeps. I've swapped back and forth between the new and old card and every time the results are the same. I don't see how this is possible. Not unless the FS100 is having troubles writing to the newer SanDisk card which is creating some sort of resistance in the circuitry. (I'm not an engineer :shocked:)

Unfortunately, the beeps can still be heard through the audio monitoring. This will drive my audio operator crazy with one second interval beeps while recording.

What cards are you guys using? Anybody using the new UHS-I SanDisk cards?

Thanks, Damon

You think the beeps indicates a buffer overun? Email Pro Sony and ask them if this is the case. FYI: I am using the Lexar 133x Professional line of cards (64GB). No beeping for me. Knock on wood.

thxdave
09-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Could you post a short snippet of the audio?

Kraut69
09-11-2011, 02:29 PM
This has happened to me a couple of times, spaced far apart by months. I thought it was a bad connection of a mic, when the mic had a bad connection, the beeping would start, but sometimes the mic had a bad connection, and there was no beeping. I had a mini plug mic connecting into an XLR to mini plug adapter. Beeps are about 1 second apart.

If I were to describe the sound, it is like the mic is picking up a regular squeak emanating from a tape drive mechanism, which of course doesn't exist.

Kraut69
09-11-2011, 05:37 PM
The manual P. 36 does say "when there is no audio device connected to an input jack, set the INPUT switch of that jack to line to prevent noise."

Sounds like they know more than they are saying.

While I have generally done this, I can't say I always do it. and sometimes I will have microphones/wireless lav receivers connected to both jacks, and will turn maybe the wireless receiver off when I don't want it recording. If I have to switch the input to MIC as well as turning the wireless off, that can cause problems if I forget to flip the LINE/MIC switch when turning things back on.

Rick Burnett
09-11-2011, 06:38 PM
The manual P. 36 does say "when there is no audio device connected to an input jack, set the INPUT switch of that jack to line to prevent noise."

Sounds like they know more than they are saying.

While I have generally done this, I can't say I always do it. and sometimes I will have microphones/wireless lav receivers connected to both jacks, and will turn maybe the wireless receiver off when I don't want it recording. If I have to switch the input to MIC as well as turning the wireless off, that can cause problems if I forget to flip the LINE/MIC switch when turning things back on.

All they are saying is set it to line so you don't have a mic preamp running on no input. Anything without a connection to it can act as an antenna. When set to line, line does not require the amplification that a mic input does, and therefore, reduces any induced noise.

Makes complete sense to me.

On my mixing boards, I set all non-used inputs to mute to eliminate any noise from the preamps.

TMDFilms
09-11-2011, 07:42 PM
Here are some audio samples of the beeping problem. The beeps are fairly quiet so headphones may be needed.

Recorded on a 45MB/s SDHC-I SanDisk card. The beeps are most obvious on this card.
http://www.tmdfilms.com/audiobeeps/45mbscard.aif

Recorded on a 30MB/s SDHC SanDisk card. With this card, there are beeps, but it is very very quiet.
http://www.tmdfilms.com/audiobeeps/30mbscard.aif

And here is a recording directly from the audio monitoring jack off the FS100. This drives my audio guy crazy.
http://www.tmdfilms.com/audiobeeps/recordingfromaudiomonitorport.aif

What do you guys think?

Kraut69 This has happened to me a couple of times, spaced far apart by months. I thought it was a bad connection of a mic, when the mic had a bad connection, the beeping would start, but sometimes the mic had a bad connection, and there was no beeping. I had a mini plug mic connecting into an XLR to mini plug adapter. Beeps are about 1 second apart.

I have reseated all connections, tried different mics and different cables. But nothing made a different.

This is true, when a port is not in use, it's best to set the input switch to line. Setting it to mic adds a bit more noise. But for my problem, it doesn't matter what I set the input switches too. I always get the beeps.

Thanks, Damon

Rick Burnett
09-11-2011, 08:12 PM
I wonder if the SD card is generating noise in it and that is inducing into circuitry in the FS100. Given one card does not do this, that would be my first guess. The fact it just started happening and didn't happen before with the same cards sounds strange. I'd be talking to Sony about this.

It is not uncommon for digital devices to induce noise into analog circuits, that said, the hope would be that there would be enough isolation between the circuits to prevent this. Yet, if that SD card is producing a huge amount of noise during writes, maybe even past a certain spec, it's possible that it surpasses some limit that the camera wasn't designed to be protect against.

I use Transcend cards and have heard no noise. The solution here though is you need to talk with Sony.

Kraut69
09-11-2011, 08:26 PM
I am using the latest Lexar 128GB SD card. I recorded for 3 hours recently on a vacation, the audio was fine most of the time, at least playing the files back on the TV, no one commented about a underlying beeping (my wife has excellent ears, I don't). But when my mic lost connection at the jack (my camera strap was tugging on the cord sometimes), there was of course silence, but the beeps were there.

This is a 20mbps card, class 10.

TMDFilms
09-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Rick Burnett
I wonder if the SD card is generating noise in it and that is inducing into circuitry in the FS100. Given one card does not do this, that would be my first guess. The fact it just started happening and didn't happen before with the same cards sounds strange. I'd be talking to Sony about this.

It is not uncommon for digital devices to induce noise into analog circuits, that said, the hope would be that there would be enough isolation between the circuits to prevent this. Yet, if that SD card is producing a huge amount of noise during writes, maybe even past a certain spec, it's possible that it surpasses some limit that the camera wasn't designed to be protect against.

I use Transcend cards and have heard no noise. The solution here though is you need to talk with Sony.

Thanks Rick, that may be possible. I only have SanDisk so I can 't test any other brand of card at the moment.

I just emailed Sony about my audio problem. Hopefully I will hear back shortly.

Thanks for your help guys,
Damon

Kraut69
09-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Damon, what is the Sony email address you are using?

TMDFilms
09-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Kraut69
Damon, what is the Sony email address you are using?

I used the one under their Product Technical Diagnostic Support.
bis.product.support@am.sony.com

Damon

Rick Burnett
09-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Keep us posted!

morgan_moore
09-11-2011, 11:04 PM
Here are some audio samples of the beeping problem. The beeps are fairly quiet so headphones may be needed.

Its the same as I get

S

Rick Burnett
09-12-2011, 08:32 PM

For what it's worth, here is an FFT transform of the 1st data file you sent. I picked a point where the window showed the largest amplitude on a sin component around 300Hz. You'll also notice a constant component just above 12.5kHz. The 300Hz jumps up and down in a pattern similar to the tone heard on the recording. There are other components there as well, as you see, so I think the resultant sound is a combination of those things.

As for the 12.5kHz, that stays roughly constant bouncing between 125 and about 95uV

I have to be using headphones to hear it. I've tried two pairs and I hear it on both. It's pretty low, but nevertheless, it is there.

ectobuilder
09-12-2011, 10:28 PM
In one of the sub-menus there is an option called "beep". I haven't activated this feature but can you see if you have it "on"?

TMDFilms
09-13-2011, 09:45 AM
For what it's worth, here is an FFT transform of the 1st data file you sent. I picked a point where the window showed the largest amplitude on a sin component around 300Hz. You'll also notice a constant component just above 12.5kHz. The 300Hz jumps up and down in a pattern similar to the tone heard on the recording. There are other components there as well, as you see, so I think the resultant sound is a combination of those things.

As for the 12.5kHz, that stays roughly constant bouncing between 125 and about 95uV

I have to be using headphones to hear it. I've tried two pairs and I hear it on both. It's pretty low, but nevertheless, it is there.

Thanks for the chart! The tiny spike at 12.5kHz is interesting. But probably way to low and insignificant to be concerned with.

It looks like I will be sending my camera to a Sony service department. Even though I live in Colorado, they suggested that I send it to the one in New Jersey. They have more FS100 experience. I'm just trying to work out the details of the 90 days warranty as that ends tomorrow for the camera.

ectobuilder
In one of the sub-menus there is an option called "beep". I haven't activated this feature but can you see if you have it "on"?
If you are talking about the 'Beep' option under the 'Others' menu, that would be for camera beeps when you start and stop recording. I always have this off.

Rick Burnett
09-13-2011, 11:03 AM
Yeah, I agree, that is pretty low. I created a 12.5kHz wave to listen to it and it was definitely not what I was hearing. I think it is in the 300-600Hz range and I can see the FFT jumping around in those areas relative to the sound coming on and off again.

Be sure to let us know once you get it back.

TMDFilms
09-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Hey Rick, can you do a FFT transform of the second audio file. The sample file that was recorded on the 30MB/s SanDisk card.

Thank you greatly!
Damon

Kraut69
09-13-2011, 12:44 PM
I guess the Sony tech guy didn't offer any information about the source of the noise? He hadn't heard about it before? How long do you think it will take to get your camera back?

morgan_moore
09-13-2011, 02:14 PM
I tried mine again today , could not reproduce it mic, no mics, 48v whatever

what can hear is some noise of the same Freq when turning the gain pots

Im sure its some form of contamination, whatever that is

S

TMDFilms
09-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Good news!

It looks like my FS100 is not going back to Sony after all. I believe my camera may not be fully compatible with SanDisk SD cards. The SanDisk Extreme Pro 45MB/s SDHC-I produces audio beeps every time. They can be heard through the headphones while recording and in the actual recordings. The SanDisk Extreme 30MB/s SDHC produces very faint beeps every time. The beeps can be heard through the headphones but in the actual recordings, the beeps are very very faint. I just received a Lexar Professional 133x SDHC card and it does NOT produce any sort of beep what so ever. No beeps through the headphones while recording and no beeps in the actual recordings. Thank god. I was able to finish my shoots this week without worrying about my audio recordings.

It's hard to tell if my FS100 is the only one that has issues with SanDisk cards. But I will report these finding to Sony so they are aware of it.

I'll update this thread in the future if I experience this issue again. But hopefully I won't need to. Thanks again guys for your help.

Damon

Rick Burnett
09-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Excellent! I use transcend cards and they don't make such a sound in recordings either.

Kraut69
12-30-2011, 12:26 PM
I'm giving this thread a bump to see if anyone else has comments. I have two FS100's, using Lexar 128GB cards, class 10, 20Mbps, and I get beeps on both cameras. Incompatibility with Sandisk cards, which are the ones most often recommended for trouble free recording, seems bizarre.

Ulisse
01-01-2012, 04:03 AM
I have the same problem with my 5N on Sandisk Extreme pro 45MBs but not with my FS100.Maybe reformat the card will help? I will test next time.

MattDavis
01-01-2012, 08:50 AM
FWIW, I think the frequency is near-as-dammit 1350 KHz.

Kraut69
01-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Matt, using CS5.5, have you had any success filtering out the beep?

kmoreau893
01-04-2012, 11:51 PM
I noticed the problem today on the left channel of my FS100 headphone output. I purposely put in the Transcend Class 10 instead of my Sandisk HD. Is this beeping actually recorded or just some type of bleed into the headphone (I haven't yet downloaded the footage and listened for it). Either way it's pretty annoying and apparently an endemic problem to the FS100 - not good.

Postmaster
01-05-2012, 12:43 AM
Hmmm...

reading this made me worry.

I never run into that problem, not on Trancend not on Sandisc - but it`s a nightmare to know it could happen to me to.
So I loaded the snippets into premiere and heard nothing.
Than in Audition - nothing - amplified as much as I could - noting but the noise you expect after doing such an operation, but no beep whatsoever.#

I´m going out on a limb, but is it possible that you guys are all on Apple?

Frank

Kraut69
01-05-2012, 06:58 AM
Not on Apple.

I have 32GB Sandisk Class 10 cards 30MBPS that also beep.

When I have no mic connected to channel 2, and the input set on MIC instead of LINE, the beep is really loud on the recording, you can hear it on the TV from 10 feet away.

Postmaster
01-05-2012, 07:04 AM
Okay, so we can rule out Apple.
(which still not explains not why I don't see and hear anything on the provided files).

How about card size? I only have 8GB cards, cause I´m paranoid . When a big card has a problem,
you can loose a whole day of shooting, at 8GB you can loose max 45 minutes.
Have you tried smaller cards? Maybe the problem is because big cards are packed much denser?

Frank

Kraut69
01-05-2012, 07:31 AM
I record simultaneously to the 128GB FMU unit to counter any SD card failures. Having to monitor SD cards as they near capacity on a shoot, and fiddling with them on a shoot, or losing them, is more of a concern to me.

I just tested recording ONLY to the FMU unit, not simultaneously to the SD and FMU unit, and the beep is STILL THERE! Must have nothing to do with the SD card. It is on the Right Channel, channel 2, and it beeps every time the camera writes to the SD/FMU card.

When I record only to the SD card (LEXAR 128GB in this case), and not to the FMU, the beep is still there, but it is really faint, maybe 1/10 of the volume. So recording with the FMU only, or the SD/FMU simultaneously, I get the louder beep.

With the FMU removed from the camera, recording to the SD card only, the beep is still there but it is significantly lower volume than when recording to the SD card only with the FMU attached to the camera--so faint I thought there was no beep (note my ears are not as good as most people). Still coming through the RIGHT/CHANNEL 2 only.

Guess I'll be contacting Sony next, but this is not an isolated occurence. I have it on two cameras bought months apart.

JMartin
01-05-2012, 02:42 PM
This thread is rather worrying.

I did a test yesterday with a Lav on one channel and a shotgun on the other, pumped up the gain. No beeps that I could hear on either the headphone out or on the recorded file.
Today I did another test with nothing connected to the camera's audio inputs, both channels set to MIC, Manual gain just one tick below 10. No beeps amid the noise on either the headphone out or the recorded file (which I normalised to -20db to double check).

I can definitely hear the beeps in the files posted earlier in the the thread, however.

@Kraut69 The fact that your beeps occur on the FMU would definitely seem to rule out brand of SD media, please keep us posted on what Sony have to say.

Kraut69
01-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Yes, as a final confirmation that the SD card is not contributing to the problem, I took the SD card completely out of the camera while recording to the FMU only, and the beeps are loud. So anything causing the problem is under Sony's control.

One more twist to the story, when the FMU unit is in and I'm recording to both the FMU and the SD card, the FMU unit which has a loud beep when the FMU is read to, also induces another very faint beep when the SD card is read to. So there are two strings of beeps being created by the FMU.

Postmaster
01-06-2012, 01:54 AM
This is getting more and more mysterious every day.

paulcurtis
01-06-2012, 03:56 AM
Very Odd, i've not had my FS long enough to test with, but is there a difference between European and US models perhaps? How many versions of the firmware are out there already?

cheers
Paul

Kraut69
01-07-2012, 06:10 PM
I never could hear any beeps on DAMON's snippets, so here is one of mine. No headphones required.

http://vimeo.com/34722682

Kraut69
02-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Yesterday I read a post in the NX5U section of DVINFO.net by a person that was having the same beeping problem on two of his NX5U's.

He finally found that an RapcoHorizon ISOBLOX 1:1 Isolation Transformer placed in line eliminated the beeping. That is one solution but having another piece of stuff hanging off the camera isn't ideal.

I was thinking an XLR mic is an XLR mic, but finally realized today there are at least three kinds, one requiring external power from the cam, one having an internal battery for power, and a third that needs no power (dynamic mic).

My observation on the FS100 today is that XLR mics that get their power from the camera or do not need power at all don't cause the beeping.

Only the mics that have an internal battery, and are used with the camera switch set to 48v OFF are causing the beeping.

I also again note there are two different types of beeps, one a lower pitch, but louder, tone made by writes to the FMU and a higher pitch, but quieter, tone made by writes made to the SD card. Sometimes the writes coincide so you hear only the lower pitched tone.

thxdave
02-03-2012, 07:59 PM
You can also get some weird anomalies with different types of condenser mics. Some brands of mics create a heavier current draw from the phantom supply, i.e. they require more power to drive their internal electronics. I been on a beta testing team for a pro audio interface and some mic brands have proven to cause problems if the 48v supply isn't very robust.

Rick Burnett
02-05-2012, 10:24 AM
Interesting, that is probably why I've not heard it. I just use the phantom power from the camera to run the mic. Got tired of carrying AAA batteries with me and given the REALLY LONG record times on the FS100, using the mic doesn't really affect it that much for me.

kmoreau893
02-05-2012, 02:22 PM
The 48v on vs off factor makes sense in my experience, I believe the time I heard the beeping really loud was when I had a small battery powered mic plugged into the XLR 1 port and the 48v phantom power was off. The beeping did go away though or got a lot softer over time. I believe I heard the beeping when I had the mic only partially plugged into the XLR port, when I realized that and pushed it in further I believe the beeping went away. Do we know if having the phantom power on, even with a powered mic, alleviates the issue (I don't recommend this as the 48v may cause damage, but some powered microphones or connectors have a blocking capacitor to protect against damage).

Kraut69
02-07-2012, 03:33 PM
Received and tested today the RapcoHorizon ISOBLOX 1:1 Isolation Transformer .

With the transformer in line between a Sennheiser ME64 battery powered XLR mic, connected to Channel 2: no beeps

Transformer removed: beeps

Happily the 45 degree cut on the bottom left hand side of the camera is a nice spot to velcro this transformer.

Having workarounds now, I don't plan to send the camera into Sony anytime soon. I would like for them to know what is causing this and to have a guaranteed fix before it is sent in.

I again repeat the problem has been noted by an owner of two SONY NEX5U's with the FMU installed, which I regard as a sister videocamera to the FS100.

ABR
02-14-2012, 01:47 PM
Had the same problen today, working as a Sound Recordist with an FS100 for the first time. unplugging the remote cable to the hand grip seems to cure it, in which case it seems to be an earthing problem. Like some of the other posters have said, the level of the intermittent buzz (not a beep!) varies depending on card, with class 6 quieter than class 10. Haven't had time to conduct proper tests. Problem only really stood out in a quieter location, but could have been there all along. Using line inputs, so no phantom.

Kraut69
02-14-2012, 02:07 PM
Another sound issue I discovered is that when I touch the metal body of the battery powered ME64 (I have to check my other battery powered mics) a very loud buzz is generated. Touching the cable near the mic makes a much less, but detectable buzz, which gets quieter as you go down the cable away from the mic.

ABR
02-14-2012, 02:24 PM
That's the same issue, i think. The K6's earth is connected to its outer casing (as it's meant to be). Power's 'leaking' from a dodgy connection in the camera and the audio buzz is a symptom. Probably class 10 cards use a higher voltage than class 6, so more buzz. A few millivolts is an audible difference. Try disconnecting the hand grip jack.

Kraut69
02-14-2012, 02:32 PM
I tried disconnecting the hand grip jack, and haven't noticed any effect yet.

Tests are often inconsistent, last nite touching the mic caused a huge buzz in the headphones, today, its a low hum and a low crackling sound. (I am not real concerned about this because touching your mic while recording is a no-no anyway).

ABR
02-14-2012, 03:30 PM
We only get the headphone buzz (in time with the tally light) while the camera is recording. When in pause mode there's no sign of it (and of course the tally isn't flashing). When we disconnect the hand grip jack and record, the buzz is gone. When we reconnect it, it returns.

Not an expert, but when you touch the case of your mic you're completing the unearthed earth circuit. The crackle is the discharge of the static that's built up at the mics capacitor because of the extra amps. Same cause, different symptom? I'd be wary about connecting any mic to that camera in that state. This is a power thing, not an audio thing - we're just hearing the effects.

cgalgon
02-24-2012, 05:17 AM
I can see that this thread is a little stagnant but I wanted to mention my workaround for this problem. It seems the camera just has a lot of grounding problems. Everyone's might be different, but this worked for mine: Set your inputs to separate channels (i.e. both should not be on "input 1" or "input 2") and switch any unused input to "line." I only have the standard mic attached, but I can't hear any scratchiness, beeps, etc. with these settings. I'm outside the initial 90 days on my FS100 so I expect it would cost me some money to get this fixed. It's a shame, I don't think I'll ever really trust the camera for primary audio. Still, I'll take it over filming red tuxedos with my EX1;)

bimdas
02-24-2012, 05:51 AM
The handgrip is junk and it causes all types of interference with my g2 wireless.

Kraut69
02-24-2012, 08:27 AM
The handgrip is junk and it causes all types of interference with my g2 wireless.

I had some unusual interference a while back with my G2. I thought the interference was the result of external issues. Can you provide more details about the conditions when your handgrip is interfering?

Rick Burnett
02-24-2012, 10:50 AM
I used to hate the handgrip, but I gave it another chance and moved the way I use it and I have to be honest, I like it now. I'd like it to be a little tighter to the body, but I rotate it up with the button on top, but back a little and it's very comfortable to hold now (with the other hand holding under the front so I can adjust the lens.

Now, electrical noise wise, I've not heard anything yet, but I am using phantom power.

bimdas
02-24-2012, 08:03 PM

It was quite easy to isolate. On a shoot we got this constant interference (almost like a mobile beeping and buzzing interence) and at first I thought it was the OS on the lens so I turned that off. Then I moved the receiver away from the camera body and let it dangle behind the camera but still got interference. Then I noticed everytime I passed the receiver over the handgrip cable, the interference noise would come on everytime. I disconnected the handgrip and that was the end of it. It's quite obvious the handgrip cable is cheap and flimsy with no shielding whatsoever.

CaptainJack
06-04-2012, 05:46 PM
Beware everyone…

This FS-100 has an incredible image…but you cannot get good sound with this camera…it records barely audible beeps to your sound…they don’t follow a pattern…but it renders all recorded audio useless…Sony does not officially recognize this as a defect….though they are taking my FS 100 back…

I really hope they fix this problem with the fs700…

Love love love the image but not being able to record trustable sound is a deal breaker for me…don’t want to always have to record sound separately…

Tried with 2 different fs100s and different mics but always get the beeps…

And many people are having this problem…just google fs100 beep…

This is heartbreaking…

Beware indie film makers…

CaptainJack
06-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Beware everyone…

This FS-100 has an incredible image…but you cannot get good sound with this camera…it records barely audible beeps to your sound…they don’t follow a pattern…but it renders all recorded audio useless…Sony does not officially recognize this as a defect….though they are taking my FS 100 back…

I really hope they fix this problem with the fs700…

Love love love the image but not being able to record trustable sound is a deal breaker for me…don’t want to always have to record sound separately…

Tried with 2 different fs100s and different mics but always get the beeps…

And many people are having this problem…just google fs100 beep…

This is heartbreaking…

Beware indie film makers…

CaptainJack
06-04-2012, 05:50 PM
When you say disconnect the hand grip jack...what do you mean exactly?

Like render the hand grip that you use to hold the camera useless?

bnaro
06-04-2012, 07:36 PM
I've been having the same problems...the beeps weren't very loud though, but noticeable. So, I have to send my FS100 back to Sony??

Rick Burnett
06-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Strange, I don't get the problem. I phantom power a Rode NTG-2 or the kit mic and have specifically looked for it. I also use the hand-grip always. I know there was mention of certain cards causing the issue. My cards are all Transcend.

Kraut69
06-04-2012, 07:56 PM
I'm still having issues, and still cannot change things (adding inline isolator, using only phantom powered mics) so I am guaranteed of no beeps every time. It seems unpredicatable. I haven't taken the time and expense of sending my cameras (two) back, and just generally make sure I have an external audio backup.

I thought I had the beeps licked with the ME64 by removing the battery and powering externally, the beeps disappeared, but then this week they were back with that mic!

Martin Henz
06-05-2012, 10:33 AM
I have no issue with the standard mic or an NTG-2. But last weekend I had some electromagnetic interference with strong ultra and super high frequency (UHF/SHF) signals and the standard mic at input 1. Next time I'll test some kind of ferrite beat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead) at the mic line. This may also help against an interference from the SC card or any other high frequency source.

DvxHerb
06-05-2012, 02:28 PM
This is a total bummer to read about. I hope they fixed it in the FS700.

ColumbiaMan
09-13-2012, 06:28 AM
So does anyone have an update or fix? Unfortunately, my introduction to this problem was during a really important shoot where it seems I delivered footage that had audible beeps baked in. I used 2 shotgun mics that were not pre-amped. Channel 1 had the beeps, channel 2 seems OK. The handle was never on the camera.

Can anyone offer some advice on how to minimize these beeps in post?

I have to say I'm quite surprised to have read through this whole thread, all the while expecting to come upon some version of a solution, but then coming up empty in the end. Have people giving up looking for a fix? Has Sony owned up to it? Is there a best strategy, and is it by means of the right SD card?

Kraut69
09-14-2012, 10:55 PM
I'm still scratching my head.

My channel 2 was/is the biggest beeper. Comes and goes. I avoid battery powered mics on Channel two, and some mics like the ME64 seem to be worse.

Haven't had time to send it in to Sony, and am concerned they will return it saying they couldn't duplicate the problem.

I don't see SD card brand being a factor.

timbook2
09-15-2012, 04:15 AM
1 problem, many guessings, no answer from sony.....I just read the whole thread. One thing I can confirm: battery powered mics into phantom powerable inputs are a high risk for unwanted noise also on panasonic cameras. The audio circuits are reduced to micro-sized, smd mounted boards. No space for wound copper and isolating transformers that are needed for a good quality mic-signal. The cams are supposed to get better, faster cheaper and we pay the price cause the laws of physics aplly. plus my favourite law: good-cheap-fast-pick any two.

newleafmedia
09-22-2012, 07:55 PM
I'm having the same issue (unfortunately, it affected two shoots). I've run many tests... Initially, all test included XM1 shotgun, a Senn G3 wireless lav, an SD card, the FMU, and no handle attached. I had the beeping sound for all tests... with SanDisk SD, Transcend SD, no SD card, and SD with no FMU (quieter beep without the FMU). Then I added an isolation on the G3 with ISOBLOX. This fixed the beeping but introduced a pretty bad buzz. When I replaced the G3 with a wired shotgun or handheld everything sounded great.

This means no more wireless mics for production?!?! Any fixes yet? Any word from Sony? I can't believe that this can go on unresolved!

Kraut69
09-23-2012, 10:33 AM
I always run wireless to two recorders, to channel one on the FS100 and to a PCMD50 or H4N.

jeremy107
11-27-2012, 05:49 PM
I had a variation of this problem on my FS700 (i only had beep on my shotgun track using an unpowered Rode NTG-3), and read this whole thread intently. My fix involved buying six types of SDHC cards. i found that three caused beeps, three didn't. Beeping cards were 64gb Lexar Professional 400x Class 10, 32gb Kingston Ultimate 100x Class 6, and 32gb Delkin UHS-I "best" 633x.
The cards that didn't beep were 32gb Lexar Platinum II 100x class 10, and Kingston class 4 cards (both 32gb and 16gb). (all three produced very, very low screeches that corresponded with the memory card light blinking, but they were only audible if you really cranked up the volume, and disappeared under any normal recording.)

It seems to partly be a 'class' issue, with the lower class cards not beeping. it was true that none of the class 4 cards beeped. However a class 10 Lexar did not beep and a class 6 Kindston did.

The clearest theme was that the more expensive the card, the more likely it was to beep. Both cards that didn't beep were around $23 for 32gb. The beeping cards were $48-$91 range for 32gb. The "Professional" Lexar beeped, the cheaper "Platinum" Lexar didn't.
Of course i'm worried that these cheap cards won't hold up over the long haul, and i'll probably just replace them once a year. But for now i've got a functioning FS700 again.

Kraut69
11-27-2012, 06:54 PM
I haven't heard any beeps on my FS700, I was thinking that Sony's moving the channel 2 audio input away from the SD card slot was a plus for minimizing interference. Not so it appears.

BrianMurphy
06-05-2013, 10:05 AM
Well I have never had the problem before but as of yesterday I had the beeps on my fs100. gonna try it today at home without the handle plugged in...

Kraut69
06-05-2013, 12:11 PM
That's is what is perplexing, it is hard to pin down a problem when it is not there 100% of the time, good luck.

Kraut69
06-10-2013, 08:20 AM
I wonder if it is the LED lights that are emitting RF interference. Did a quick search and found this: http://prudentrver.typepad.com/leds/2011/03/reasons-an-led-light-might-emit-radio-frequency-interference.html

Martin Henz
06-10-2013, 02:47 PM
I wonder if it is the LED lights that are emitting RF interference. Did a quick search and found this: http://prudentrver.typepad.com/leds/2011/03/reasons-an-led-light-might-emit-radio-frequency-interference.html

I don't think, that this little LED makes these beeps. BTW: If anyone wants to have more information about LED light bulbs RF interference? We made some tests here in germany some years ago with larger LED lights. The short english version is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8zMhjXcmoA. Tests are starting at about 6:00.