PDA

View Full Version : Accessories to make Atlas 10 FLT "Versatile"

Budgieboots
09-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm considering investing in my first ever slider, and the Atlas 10 FLT looks pretty good.
I would be using the slider primarily at weddings to get shots of the gift table, wedding cake and anything else sitting on a table.

I am still however a little unclear about how everything attaches together and what additional items I would need to purchase to get the slider to being at it's most versatile.
I would like to place the slider on a tripod, and flat on a table or ground level using the legs it comes with.

I also want to be able to take the slider off the tripod quicky.

So from my understanding, everything attaches together like this (bottom to top):

Tripod (Already Own)
Video Head (Already Own)
Quick Release Plate (Already Own)

The Atlas 10 FLT

Video Head (I would need to purchase a 2nd head)
Quick Release Plate (I would need to purchase a 2nd plate)
Video Camera (Already Own)

Is this about correct?

cinevateluke
09-06-2011, 07:59 AM
That sounds aboot right to me!
Although, my only question(s) would be what tripod head to you currently own and which size Atlas 10 were you thinking of getting?

Luke

cinevateluke
09-06-2011, 08:04 AM
Oh, just remembered this image, lol.
If you're unsure, this might help. Keep in mind, the sliders in the image are just with the regular or standard legs - though they're all compatible with the All Terrain leg system
You can see the image in the Ask Cinevate blog post 'Atlas 10 and FLT' here (http://www.cinevate.com/blog/ask-cinevate-episode-4-atlas-10-and-flt/)

Budgieboots
09-06-2011, 11:10 AM
That sounds aboot right to me!
Although, my only question(s) would be what tripod head to you currently own and which size Atlas 10 were you thinking of getting?

Luke

Thanks for replying!

I currently own a Manfrotto 501 (not the HDV) Video head which is supported by the Manfrotto 755b legs.
So it's definitely older.

Judging by the image you posted, it looks like the Atlas 10 FLT, being the lightest, would be the best choice for me. I'm not positive on the amount of weight the 501 can safely hold though, I thought it was around 13 pounds? So it may be cutting it close.

cinevateluke
09-06-2011, 11:24 AM
I definitely prefer the Atlas FLT. Though it is a bit shorter than the Atlas 10, it's much lighter. I tried finding the older 501 head you mentioned but was having a hard time finding the specs/weight capacity. Depending on your budget, you could use your 501 head on top of the Atlas and get a newer head for underneith (preferably with a higher weight capacity if you think the existing head is too weak). Definitely check out the video in the link I posted though, I cover some other mounting options on top of the slider :p

Budgieboots
09-06-2011, 06:37 PM
I definitely prefer the Atlas FLT. Though it is a bit shorter than the Atlas 10, it's much lighter. I tried finding the older 501 head you mentioned but was having a hard time finding the specs/weight capacity. Depending on your budget, you could use your 501 head on top of the Atlas and get a newer head for underneith (preferably with a higher weight capacity if you think the existing head is too weak). Definitely check out the video in the link I posted though, I cover some other mounting options on top of the slider :p

Thanks! I'm diving into the website for more research.

I believe one of the first Sony FS100 videos on Vimeo had an Atlas 10 used in it correct? That music video for a song called "Vertigo" ?

cinevateluke
09-07-2011, 06:23 AM
Yep! I actually just posted a few behind-the-scenes pics from that shoot in a thread in this forum but I forget which one, lol. Here's a nice rooftop pic.

Budgieboots
09-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Yep! I actually just posted a few behind-the-scenes pics from that shoot in a thread in this forum but I forget which one, lol. Here's a nice rooftop pic.

Oooh looks nice! Now is that the 36 inch long Atlas 10 or the 26 inch long one?

Also, is the FLT noticeably less smooth then the regular Atlas 10 in the 26 long size?
Reason I ask is it's supposed to be a little thinner correct?

And how easy is it to train yourself to push the camera along smoothly? I believe the Kessler Pocket Dolly has a crank you can turn, but that's still involves manually turning it to get the camera to move correct?

I'm just curious if the turn crank is any better or worse then pushing the camera along.

Budgieboots
09-07-2011, 06:19 PM
And just to add to my last message...

Looks like this guy doesn't like the swivel on the Kessler Pocket Dolly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pil0jXULor0

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pil0jXULor0)It's at 13:50. He says "the camera should be an extension of your arms"...

Hmmm -- anybody else used the crank on the pocket dolly? Or is it just better to push?

cinevateluke
09-08-2011, 06:24 AM
That there is the Atlas 10 26" slider. As for smoothness, we use the same specifications to set both Atlas 10 and FLT. If there is any difference, I would say it's negligible. I prefer the FLT myself, but I usually shoot with a bare-bones 7D and not much else, so the FLT is perfect. What sort of camera and accessories/gadgets do you plan to have on top of the slider? Depending how much you have it might be necessary to get the higher weight capacity Atlas 10 over the FLT.

As for training yourself to push smoothly, it does take a bit of practice but gets easier fairly quickly. I'd wager your first dozen shots are still going to be usable as you figure out your method. Along those lines, we are working on an add-on kit that would allow for hands-free movement in the form of a motored system. We've teased it a few times at trade shows via an early prototype but are heavy into testing and perfecting it - possibly out before end of the year...though I can't say much more than that ;)

Finally, the Kessler crank. I won't speak to this much since I'd be biased, lol. I honestly don't have any real hands-on with one anyway, I've only seen them in action at trade shows like NAB. Best bet is to go on reviews like the one you posted or user feedback.

Hopefully that helps you along your slider path!

Budgieboots
09-08-2011, 10:00 AM
That there is the Atlas 10 26" slider. As for smoothness, we use the same specifications to set both Atlas 10 and FLT. If there is any difference, I would say it's negligible. I prefer the FLT myself, but I usually shoot with a bare-bones 7D and not much else, so the FLT is perfect. What sort of camera and accessories/gadgets do you plan to have on top of the slider? Depending how much you have it might be necessary to get the higher weight capacity Atlas 10 over the FLT.

As for training yourself to push smoothly, it does take a bit of practice but gets easier fairly quickly. I'd wager your first dozen shots are still going to be usable as you figure out your method. Along those lines, we are working on an add-on kit that would allow for hands-free movement in the form of a motored system. We've teased it a few times at trade shows via an early prototype but are heavy into testing and perfecting it - possibly out before end of the year...though I can't say much more than that ;)

Finally, the Kessler crank. I won't speak to this much since I'd be biased, lol. I honestly don't have any real hands-on with one anyway, I've only seen them in action at trade shows like NAB. Best bet is to go on reviews like the one you posted or user feedback.

Hopefully that helps you along your slider path!

Thanks for taking so much time to reply!

But in response to your questions:
I'd be planning on putting a Sony FS100 on it with a rotolight and the external microphone. The lens would be the stock 18-200 lens.

And so just to confirm, this motorized system be something I could add to the Atlas 10 or Atlas FLT? As in I could buy an Atlas 10 now and buy the motorized system later and everything would be good and hands-free wonderful?

cinevateluke
09-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Hands free wonderful! lol I like it, I'm gonna push to use that for our marketing ;)
But to answer, lol, yep, the motion control stuff will be available as an add-on piece for Atlas 10, Atlas FLT, and our other sliders. There will be no need to send in your Atlas 10 or FLT to have them 'retro-fitted' or anything.
For the FS100, I'll double check on the FLT (we just got our FS100 not long ago, so I haven't put it on the FLT but it should be fine :) I'll try to rig it up today for kicks. I'll keep ya posted :p

Budgieboots
09-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Hands free wonderful! lol I like it, I'm gonna push to use that for our marketing ;)
But to answer, lol, yep, the motion control stuff will be available as an add-on piece for Atlas 10, Atlas FLT, and our other sliders. There will be no need to send in your Atlas 10 or FLT to have them 'retro-fitted' or anything.
For the FS100, I'll double check on the FLT (we just got our FS100 not long ago, so I haven't put it on the FLT but it should be fine :) I'll try to rig it up today for kicks. I'll keep ya posted :p

Thanks! I appreciate you taking the time to check out how the FS100 balances on it.

Would you happen to also have a Manfrotto 501HDV tripod head you could try it on too? And Manfrotto 028B Studio Pro Triman Tripod legs?

B&H lists them as the recommended accessories on their page.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/764518-REG/Cinevate_Inc_CILTAT1013_CILTAT1013_Atlas_10_FLT.ht ml

cinevateluke
09-09-2011, 07:02 AM
Well, I don't have the 501, but we do have a 503 head which is similarly rated. I mounted using the 503 on the 028B stand, and then the slider on top. I then used what I'd call our weakest head just as a starting point (I used the Manfrotto rc-2 ball head which, although 'weak', I actually like - for my DSLR anyway...). It seemed to hold up fairly well. I would definitely feel a bit more comfortable on a bigger video head, but so long as you don't start adding heavy accessories (and by heavy, I mean in the weight range of a ZOOM H4N up to rails systems etc) you should be okay with this setup. Can't go wrong for the price of the head either. If you figure you'll be kitting out the camera down the line it might be worth it to invest in a step-up on the weight capacity of the head.
Also, a shooter, I only know him as JJ, posted this video this morning of his first impression of an Atlas FLT he ordered.
http://vimeo.com/28801127

Budgieboots
09-11-2011, 10:49 PM
Well, I don't have the 501, but we do have a 503 head which is similarly rated. I mounted using the 503 on the 028B stand, and then the slider on top. I then used what I'd call our weakest head just as a starting point (I used the Manfrotto rc-2 ball head which, although 'weak', I actually like - for my DSLR anyway...). It seemed to hold up fairly well. I would definitely feel a bit more comfortable on a bigger video head, but so long as you don't start adding heavy accessories (and by heavy, I mean in the weight range of a ZOOM H4N up to rails systems etc) you should be okay with this setup. Can't go wrong for the price of the head either. If you figure you'll be kitting out the camera down the line it might be worth it to invest in a step-up on the weight capacity of the head.
Also, a shooter, I only know him as JJ, posted this video this morning of his first impression of an Atlas FLT he ordered.
http://vimeo.com/28801127

Cool! Thanks for doing that Luke. Now the only thing stumping me was how to get a "leveler" working with this.
I watched one of the episodes on Cinevate's website and it appears Manfrotto sold one that you could use.

Was this it?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554093-REG/Manfrotto_438_438_Compact_Levelling_Head.html
(http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554093-REG/Manfrotto_438_438_Compact_Levelling_Head.html)

cinevateluke
09-12-2011, 06:26 AM
Yep! That's the same one. I cover it in the Atlas 10/FLT video :p

Budgieboots
09-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Yep! That's the same one. I cover it in the Atlas 10/FLT video :p

Hi Luke,

I'm just now stumped between choosing either the 35 inch Atlas 10, or the Atlas 10 FLT.

I like the small size factor of the FLT, but I'm drawn to having the option of the extra distance provided by the longer Atlas 10.

My one major concern is, since the Atlas 10 is bigger, how well does it balance mounted on a mid-level tripod?

Specifically, the one you mounted the FLT to last time.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/523630-REG/Manfrotto_028B_Tripod_Legs_Black.html
(http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/523630-REG/Manfrotto_028B_Tripod_Legs_Black.html)
The Manfroto 028B and 503HDV video head.

How much does the Sony FS100 wobble when it's at the ends of the Atlas 10 while on this tripod?

Would you consider the shot usable if you started pushing the camera from the edge of the slider to the opposite end? Was there a noticeable amount of "bounce" at the edges that in editing you would probably cut out?

I've read comments suggesting that unless you have a more expensive, heavy duty tripod, it's better to just go with the FLT if you're mounting to a mid-level tripod, or simply start pushing closer into the centre, which seems to defeat the purpose of the extra length.

On top of the 35" Atlas 10 slider, I was hoping you would be able to mount the Manfrotto 483 Compact Leveling Head and Manfrotto 503HDV Head.

This is essentially all the gear I was envisioning using.

If you're able to test it, and the tripod supporting it doesn't appear to be a usable or viable option, please let me know and I'll be able to finally choose between the two.

Thanks again for your help so far!

cinevateluke
09-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Though I haven't had a chance to rig it up today (our product photographer has commandeered the studio and all the toys it holds :p) I'm fairly confident that the Atlas 10 - 35" on a 503HDV will result in some sway/wobble. Although the 503 is rated to hold about 17 lbs (the Atlas 10 @ 35" plus your camera will likely be around 15-17) I'm sure their testing would have been for failure on pan/tilt hold with a centrally weight camera. In other words, the head will hold 17 lbs at the center of the slider, but once we spread the weight out it will start to vary. The wobble (I prefer to use 'the sway' or 'teeter) isn't typically too bad, but depending on your focal length and steadiness of the move you may notice it in your shot.

Personally, I prefer the FLT for my light weight and lower budget setup. Have I ever wished for a few extra inches (on my slider...lol) - sure, but considering the trade offs I pick the FLT everytime. Again, that's just me, and I do pretty low-key stuff.

In the end, if you want the extra distance, I would recommend getting a heavier duty tripod head than the 503.

Budgieboots
09-13-2011, 02:31 PM
Hi Luke, again thanks for all your help on this.

I think I plan to go with the FLT so I don't have to spend extra on upgrading to a beefier head.
I calculated that I would be putting 16.5 lbs of weight onto the video head (using the FLT), so if all goes according to plan, the 503HDV head and 028b Manfrotto legs should be upto the task.

Budgieboots
09-13-2011, 04:11 PM
oh goodness I changed my mind again.

Sorry Luke! :P

The next level up in video heads was actually cheaper then I had expected when purchased in a kit.

The Manfrotto 519 is rated at being able to sustain 22 lbs. The tripod that's part of the kit is the 535 which says it can support 44 lbs.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/582380-REG/Manfrotto_519_Pro_Video_Fluid.html

Would this equipment be considered heavy duty enough to do the job with a 35 inch Atlas 10?

I calculated that with the Atlas 10, I would be putting 21 lbs of weight onto the head.

cinevateluke
09-14-2011, 06:50 AM
Hey
That looks beefy, lol. Ya I should think so. We typically use a Manfrotto 504 head, which is only rated for 16.5 lbs, so you should be good with the weight capacity of the 519. :)

Budgieboots
09-14-2011, 02:55 PM
Cool! Thanks Luke.
I'm reassured and I'll be making my purchases through B&H.

Just one last quick question though, I saw a posted video by "Colour Craft Media" of them opening their atlas 10 on youtube. They were opening up a pretty beefy looking black Cinevate suitcase thing that appeared to be custom made to hold the Atlas 10.
Here's the video:
http://vimeo.com/14074140

Is that case sold separately? Or does it come with the Atlas 10?

cinevateluke
09-15-2011, 06:44 AM
Ahhh the long case. To be honest, the case has been here longer than I have - lol. Unfortunately we've never actually sold that case, and it's origins are nearly a mystery. If I had to guess I'd say it is (or closely resembles) a 1750 Long Case by Pelican (available at B&H). We've shipped it to hell and back and it's still in good shape, and the wheels have shockingly survived as well. We'll soon be offering soft cases as well for all our product, but we're still a month or so from having those available. :p

cinevateluke
09-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Hey
So how'd you make out? :p Hopefully you got your hands on your slider already, so I thought I'd tell you about our new showcase on the site. Send me or post a link to a video you shot with your slider and I can feature it on our 'Cinevate Customer Showcase' feature, which 'airs' each Friday. First one is here --> http://www.cinevate.com/blog/customer-showcase-1/

Budgieboots
09-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Hey
So how'd you make out? :p Hopefully you got your hands on your slider already, so I thought I'd tell you about our new showcase on the site. Send me or post a link to a video you shot with your slider and I can feature it on our 'Cinevate Customer Showcase' feature, which 'airs' each Friday. First one is here --> http://www.cinevate.com/blog/customer-showcase-1/

Thanks Luke! Yep I picked it up yesterday and it's working wonderfully with the quick little tests I have done around the house so far.

I'm just now looking at a new tripod to support it and a tripod head to mount on it since what I was looking at on B&H got discountinued, I had to do my research again :P
But looks like the Manfrotto 509HD head on Manfrotto 546b would be my best bet. Strangely enough, with one of the kits Vistek sells, it's actually $30 cheaper for me to go with a 504HD head + Bowl Adapter to mount onto the carriage, then with the 503HDV.

But that looks really cool! I hope to be able to submit something to that soon.

I guess my one other quick question is on that Ask Cinevate video, you mention that with the 504HD, you need the bowl adapter. Is it possible to level the tripod head with the bowl adapter? Or would I still need the ball leveler underneath that?

cinevateluke
10-04-2011, 10:45 AM
Hey
The Manfrotto 325N actually doesn't allow for leveling, only for for mounting fixed-ball tripod heads to flat surfaces. You would need to add a leveling device, such as Manfrotto's 3/8 ball leveller, to add that option. This does make the camera sit quite high in my opinion. You should also have a reply to the PM you sent :p

Luke

Budgieboots
10-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Thanks Luke! I read both :P

I'll let you know if I have anymore questions!