PDA

View Full Version : Correcting the effects of camera flashes on footage?

Budgieboots
09-04-2011, 02:04 PM
Hey everybody, I got my FS100 just over a month ago and I am thoroughly enjoying it.

However, I was just wondering if there was a way to fix what happens when somebody takes a picture with a flash?
You have the effect of the camera flash spread over 2 frames, instead of one due to the rolling shutter I believe?

Is there software out there or some editing fix to deal with this? Or is just something to learn to live with?

I came from a DVX100b before this, which I understand had 3CCDs, so this appears to be a CMOS thing.

speedracerlo
09-04-2011, 02:59 PM
The best way that I found was to fill in the missing half with a White Solid and put it on screen mode to imitate the flash.
I try to avoid any kind of strobe lights as much as possible, but if you're getting flash interference from photographers the above method is the best way.
I also found that the FS100 sometimes gets lucky and captures a flash/strobe with perfect frequency.
I think the Red suffers from this too because it's rolling shutter performance is not much greater than the FS100 and I was recently watching The Lincoln Lawyer which was shot on the Red and I noticed rolling shutter effects when they were whip panning

rejdmast
09-04-2011, 03:10 PM
The Sony CMU for the FS100 has a Flash Band Correction that should fix your problem.

Dermot
09-04-2011, 03:36 PM
what is "The Sony CMU"?

rejdmast
09-04-2011, 04:17 PM
It is the utility that comes with the FS100 to transfer data from the FS100 to your computer's hard drive. I believe it only runs on Windows.

Kraut69
12-04-2011, 12:25 PM
What is everyone's opinion of the flash band corrector in the CMU? Using it?? With always pleasing results??? Better alternatives???

Noel Evans
12-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Not talking the FS100 here, but other experiences - lay over a white colour solid, mask / matte the areas not hit by the band and simply lower opacity until you reach the same level as the flash band. If the flash is intermittent as in not constant multiple flashes going at the same time - apply to one frame and trash the next.