PDA

View Full Version : "AREA WAS ADJUSTED" on screen message?

Kraut69
09-03-2011, 07:16 AM
Was adjusting iris manually on the NEX 16mm lens and a black message box appeared momentarily on the LCD saying "AREA WAS ADJUSTED" with a date and some other data, then disappeared. What is this about (I'm getting tired of these little quirks frankly, that the manufacturer never gives you a clue as to what is going on).

Kraut69
09-03-2011, 10:02 AM
This may have something to do with the GPS coverage? I last taped in Europe and this was the first time I recorded back in the US.

Luis Caffesse
09-03-2011, 10:09 AM
That's exactly what it is.
I just spent 3 weeks on the road with the FS100, in a different city nearly every day - got this message just about everytime I booted up the cam in a new location.

AtticusLake
09-03-2011, 10:13 AM
"Area" is the term they use in the manual for "timezone" -- the GPS automatically adjusts the camera's time and timezone for you, so your clip times will always be right. (You can turn this off in settings.)

The relevance of timezone setting is that GPS can only give you time in UTC (aka "GMT"). However, using your location, the camera can guess your timezone, and hence set your camera's clock to the correct local time.