PDA

View Full Version : FS100 on a steadicam pilot?

robmneilson
08-28-2011, 02:46 PM
Anyone have any experience with rigging up an FS100 on a piliot? I've got access to a pilot at work, and I'm worried that my FS100, baseplate, rails, mattebox etc will put it over the weight limit. I'm also using Lomo primes, which will add a couple more pounds as well.

legrevedotcom
08-28-2011, 10:56 PM
I've only tried it.with the stock lens and the canon 24-70 so far, and of course its far from ideal with it being telescopic.
Apart from that I strip the cam down... I don't have a matte box so I didn't have to worry about that extra weight.
The stock lens won't break the limit, but the canon gets close.
You need to attach everything you think you need to the cam and then weigh it.
It should weigh in at no more than 4.5kg. If it weighs more, start working backwards removing things you can do without till you hit the mark.

Also be aware that the pilot is very sensitive to wind :(

morgan_moore
08-28-2011, 11:30 PM
I think it will work with kit lens or a small nikon lens like the 28

I dont think it will work with rails/mb/follow focus and cine glass

S

ectobuilder
08-29-2011, 01:53 AM
Anyone have any experience with rigging up an FS100 on a piliot? I've got access to a pilot at work, and I'm worried that my FS100, baseplate, rails, mattebox etc will put it over the weight limit. I'm also using Lomo primes, which will add a couple more pounds as well.

Yep owned the Steadicam Pilot Arm/Vest combo for about 2 months. The NEX-FS100 with it's ergonomics is very well balanced for this type of application.

Used the kit 18mm to 200mm lens as well as the 16mm pancake lens. Works great. The only downside was the vest as it was made of glue and velcro, the vest broke twice. Got it repaired by Tiffen but eventually sold it off. Would prefer to use the Scout combo or replace the cheap Pilot vest with the upgraded metal version.

Right now I am using the handheld Steadicam Merlin instead. I find it has better control when handheld. But this configuration limits me to the 16mm pancake E-Mount lens due to weight.

robmneilson
08-29-2011, 05:16 AM
Hmm, well I guess I will find out. I'm going to need to have the FS100 set up with a matte box, since we will be shooting outside in the sun. I'll do a test run on Thursday and post my results here!

legrevedotcom
08-29-2011, 06:49 AM
Why not shoot with normal lens hoods? You don't need a mattebox, unless your workflow and colleagues demand it. Just weigh that camera, your arm will only support so much... or are you shooting without arm and vest? I think the pilot itself can withstand a bit more than those 4.5 kg. (but ouch my arm and back :S)

robmneilson
08-29-2011, 07:27 AM
True, I may as well just tape a polarizer onto the lens. Sadly since I'm using lomo cinema lenses they have an odd thread size so I can't normally screw anything on.

As usual I completely overlook the most obvious answer!

ectobuilder
08-29-2011, 10:20 AM
Why not shoot with normal lens hoods? You don't need a mattebox, unless your workflow and colleagues demand it. Just weigh that camera, your arm will only support so much... or are you shooting without arm and vest? I think the pilot itself can withstand a bit more than those 4.5 kg. (but ouch my arm and back :S)

The pilot must be used with an ARM/VEST. It is not made to be used standalone, only the Merlin is or the ones from Glidecam.

robmneilson
08-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Yep using this with an arm and vest of course.

legrevedotcom
08-29-2011, 12:00 PM
Actually it can ve used without, dont know where you got the idea that it can't. Take a look at all the DIY people. One of the most basic of models is a primitive pilot and is usable...however note also that I never said that this was the correct way to use it.
The purpose of the vest and arm is nothing more than to take the weight of the mounted cam ( in very rough terms...... ) asides from letting you use your body to fly it.

Matthew Bennett
08-29-2011, 01:29 PM
Used it all day last Friday. Worked like a dream. Nikon 14mm on the front.

robmneilson
08-29-2011, 07:12 PM
That makes me less apprehensive. Did you fly it with mattebox and rails?

cheezweezl
08-31-2011, 11:10 AM
flew mine, fully rigged on a pilot on a music video all day a few weeks ago. the pilot is perfect for this camera and because both the rig and the camera are so light, i was able to fly it all day long with zero fatigue.

morgan_moore
08-31-2011, 11:53 AM
..fully rigged is a FF, Lomo Cine lens MB and Rails?

Personally I think my 5d plus all the toys is at its max

(tranvideo monitor, hocus, rails, vlock, no MB)

Could see the FS bare but not fully rigged

S

robmneilson
08-31-2011, 11:59 AM
Makes me wish I had a scale in my apartment so I could weigh the kit out. Going to attempt to fly it with rails and MB tomorrow night for a test run...but I'm most likely going to go with just the camera and taping on an ND to the lens.

speedracerlo
08-31-2011, 12:03 PM
I don't have the Pilot, but I have the Glidecam HD4000 mounted to the steadicam arm and vest. Considering the weight limit is similar between the Pilot and HD4000 and I was able to fly my rigged setup(FS100+Rails+ZeissLenses+Shoot35Mattebox+NDFi lters) which I weighed in at around 10 lbs, I think you should be okay as long as you keep the weight near the limit. You might even be okay with going over the limit a tiny bit.

cheezweezl
08-31-2011, 12:17 PM
..fully rigged is a FF, Lomo Cine lens MB and Rails?

Personally I think my 5d plus all the toys is at its max

(tranvideo monitor, hocus, rails, vlock, no MB)

Could see the FS bare but not fully rigged

S

RIG = FS100, Canon 24-70L, zacuto baseplate/rods. No FF. we just stayed wide and kept distance to talent within the DOF.

elroberto
08-31-2011, 09:19 PM
Worked well for me fully rigged no FF!

ectobuilder
08-31-2011, 11:40 PM
Actually it can ve used without, dont know where you got the idea that it can't. Take a look at all the DIY people. One of the most basic of models is a primitive pilot and is usable...however note also that I never said that this was the correct way to use it.
The purpose of the vest and arm is nothing more than to take the weight of the mounted cam ( in very rough terms...... ) asides from letting you use your body to fly it.

Yes yes of course, you just need to find a way to get a better grip on the handle part.

robmneilson
09-02-2011, 06:21 AM
Well I was able to fly this halfway decently with rails, mattebox, and filters in a test last night. It's at the very top of the weight range for the pilot, but for the simple tracking shot I need to shoot on Sunday it works.

Having a hell of a time finding dynamic balance though!

brm
09-29-2011, 10:49 PM
Yep owned the Steadicam Pilot Arm/Vest combo for about 2 months. The NEX-FS100 with it's ergonomics is very well balanced for this type of application.

Used the kit 18mm to 200mm lens as well as the 16mm pancake lens. Works great. The only downside was the vest as it was made of glue and velcro, the vest broke twice. Got it repaired by Tiffen but eventually sold it off. Would prefer to use the Scout combo or replace the cheap Pilot vest with the upgraded metal version.

Right now I am using the handheld Steadicam Merlin instead. I find it has better control when handheld. But this configuration limits me to the 16mm pancake E-Mount lens due to weight.

Shot all day today with the AF 100, Steadicam Pilot and the new Olympus 12mm lens. Excellent results.