PDA

View Full Version : wide-angle lenses for the NEX-FS100

steditrak
08-27-2011, 01:15 PM
I've been told that some manufacturers make wide-angle lenses without barrel distortion. Sounds good to me. Anybody know which manufacturers make "distortion free" wide-angle lenses for the NEX-FS100?

Inquiring minds need to know.

kprince
08-27-2011, 09:32 PM
also interested.. is it possible to get to around 19-20mm?

Ryan Patrick O'Hara
08-27-2011, 09:42 PM
Get the Sony Alpha mount adapter for the E-mount, and then get the Tokina 11-16mm with Sony Alpha mount. It's about the best you can do without going absolutely nuts.

I doubt you find anything without some perspective distortion, but some lenses are worlds better than others.

rcteague
08-27-2011, 10:10 PM
Yup Tokina 11-16mm the best you can get

morgan_moore
08-28-2011, 01:14 AM
The Tokina is a fine lens - especially rehouse by Duclos.

It seems to me that there has been little development, by stills companies, of high performance wide lenses to cover the APS/S35 format

The format is relatively new in stills world and development has ben concentrated on reducing cost rather than increasing performance

(see the slew of crap 18-XX zoom lenses that cost virtually nothing)

This lack of development fundamentally reduces the options

What is a wide lens - I guess Id want in the 16-17-18 zone - wider than that could be described as a special purpose lens

And like all lenses ideally one would like in the region of F2.0

There is no reason an 17/2 could not be made - it is just that stills lens people have thus far not applied development funds in that direction

Cine people have however put money into the S35 format

Witness the Cooke S4 18 T1.4 - :)

But a lens of that class is not generally affordable

So that leaves stills offerings

On the prime front there are some fine lenses leica, zeiss etc in the 18 F3.5 zone

A little overwide (IMO) is the nikkor 14 2.8 that gains a little light compared to the 18mm offerings and can be had quite cheap as it is not 'fashionable' due to the 14-24 G mentioned below

The nikkor 14 2.8 has a 'proper aperture'

But of course focuses 'the wrong way'

All of these are expensive lenses that cover FF35 - so you are not really using all you are paying for

Examining the nikon 'DX' offerings we see a hole in the offereing - 10.5fish - 35 1.4

There are no primes wides from stills companies optimised for the S35 format

While we are on FF covering lenses it is worth mentioning the nikkor 14-24G zoom

This is a wonderful quality optic that focuses internally and will not create matte box issues when zooming - and FS100 users must consider ND !

So the last option to consider is APC/S35 coverage wide zooms

Again the APS format came to the stills world a long time after manual focus left it - so there are no smooth MFs to be had in the bargain bin

The prime contenders are the Canon 17-55, the nikkor 17-55 and the tokinas 11-16 and 16-50

Currently the canon is ruled out for control issues

Leaving the nikkor17-55 and the tokinas

I think at this point one needs to evaluate the amount of lens changes you want to make and how wide you want to go

Personally I consider 11 to be a bit of a joke

Im going for the nikkor 17-55 because im a nikon shooter, others may find the Tokina 16-50 more appropriate to their lens set, those looking for a super wide are indeed served well by the 11-16

Of course the 18F3.5 kit lens has great width to value but is a little bendy to be considered as a high performance wide

---

Other wide lenses worth considering ..
nikkor 17-35 zoom
nikkor G 16-35
Stigma 18-70 2.8-4 zoom (great reach)
Red lenses 18-80 and 17-50
Red 18mm prime
Cosina 19-35 (its junk but cheap)

S

eheath
08-28-2011, 01:18 AM
tokina 11-16, sony or nikon mount. i just bought one for 500 bucks :) so stoked on it.

morgan_moore
08-28-2011, 01:21 AM
The reason Im not too keen on the 11-16 is that I much prefer a 16-XX if Im using a zoom

S

Kraut69
08-28-2011, 04:34 AM
The Tokina 11-16 is so easy to keep in focus. I also got, but have not used much, but have read good things about, the Sigma 20mm f1.8 Nikon lens. Seems to be more work to keep in focus than the Tokina, but is faster. Takes 82mm filters.

cuervo
08-28-2011, 05:22 AM
The Tokina 11-16 is so easy to keep in focus. I also got, but have not used much, but have read good things about, the Sigma 20mm f1.8 Nikon lens. Seems to be more work to keep in focus than the Tokina, but is faster. Takes 82mm filters.

Perhaps not exactly what you're asking for, but, this 14mm Rokinon is a pretty nice prime lens for the money....
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/769532-REG/Rokinon_FE14M_C_14mm_Ultra_Wide_Angle_f_2_8.html

The Rokinon is available in both Nikon and Canon mounts. I have the Canon mount and use it with an EOS adapter. Since there is an aperture ring on this lens, I have manual aperture control when mounted on my adapter. Distortion is small, and, if you have the PTLens plugin for Photoshop, you can remove the distortion.

AtticusLake
08-28-2011, 08:21 AM
steditrak,

I don't think anyone makes lenses with no distortion; it's just a case of how much or little, and what you want to pay. And you don't say how wide you need. But for a tight budget, I'm looking at the Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 (equivalent to 27mm-80mm in 35mm terms). For about $440, it seems like a decent value for an all-rounder. Review:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Tamron-17-50mm-f-2.8-XR-Di-II-Lens-Review.aspx

@eheath, your profile says you have this lens... what do you think of it?

eheath
08-28-2011, 09:54 PM
steditrak,

I don't think anyone makes lenses with no distortion; it's just a case of how much or little, and what you want to pay. And you don't say how wide you need. But for a tight budget, I'm looking at the Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 (equivalent to 27mm-80mm in 35mm terms). For about $440, it seems like a decent value for an all-rounder. Review:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Tamron-17-50mm-f-2.8-XR-Di-II-Lens-Review.aspx

@eheath, your profile says you have this lens... what do you think of it?

I like it so far, i got mine for about $350 on ebay. 17 is nice and wide, my only gripe is the focus ring is about a 1/4 turn but i wouldnt expect much more from a nikon G lens. Overall, real nice lens in my opinion, it will be on my camera alot.

Dermot
08-29-2011, 02:48 AM
Zeiss 16-35 + Nuke's lens distortion removal tool = RBG

RBG = really bloody good

Jean-Philippe
08-29-2011, 06:10 AM
Perhaps not exactly what you're asking for, but, this 14mm Rokinon is a pretty nice prime lens for the money....
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/769532-REG/Rokinon_FE14M_C_14mm_Ultra_Wide_Angle_f_2_8.html

The Rokinon is available in both Nikon and Canon mounts. I have the Canon mount and use it with an EOS adapter. Since there is an aperture ring on this lens, I have manual aperture control when mounted on my adapter. Distortion is small, and, if you have the PTLens plugin for Photoshop, you can remove the distortion.

Cuervo, did you tried to put it in a matte box? Is the big front element interfeing with the filters? I am considering this lens but need to know if I can use ND filters (4X4) with it.

jdv
08-29-2011, 12:38 PM
I've been told that some manufacturers make wide-angle lenses without barrel distortion. Sounds good to me. Anybody know which manufacturers make "distortion free" wide-angle lenses for the NEX-FS100?

Inquiring minds need to know.

So does the Sony E Mount 16mm lens have crazy distortion? I thought that lens got fairly good reviews...

AtticusLake
08-29-2011, 05:04 PM
So does the Sony E Mount 16mm lens have crazy distortion? I thought that lens got fairly good reviews...

I just saw the lenstip review, which seemed pretty poor; then again, it's a very budgetary lens:

http://www.lenstip.com/287.11-Lens_review-Sony_E_16_mm_f_2.8_Summary.html
(http://www.lenstip.com/287.11-Lens_review-Sony_E_16_mm_f_2.8_Summary.html)
Low distortion, but soft, and dark corners.

eheath
08-29-2011, 05:43 PM
when i get my 11-16, ill compare it at different focal legnths to the tamron 17-50 at 17.

cgold
08-30-2011, 07:20 AM
Has anyone tried the the lensbaby tilt-shift thing for the E mount? It essentially turns a full frame lens into a tilt shift. I bet something like a 14mm FF wide could be used to eliminate the perspective distortion when used as a tilt shift (which is the most noticable form of distortion in extreme wide angle lenses in my opinion).

AtticusLake
08-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Has anyone tried the the lensbaby tilt-shift thing for the E mount? It essentially turns a full frame lens into a tilt shift.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Lensbaby devices (like the Composer) only take their own optics, which are mostly 50mm -- though they do have wider ones.

cgold
08-30-2011, 02:20 PM
This is a different type of thing that they make. It takes Nikon lenses:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/735368-REG/Lensbaby_LBTTS_Tilt_Transformer_for_Sony.html

DOSMedia
08-30-2011, 03:24 PM
I like it so far, i got mine for about $350 on ebay. 17 is nice and wide, my only gripe is the focus ring is about a 1/4 turn but i wouldnt expect much more from a nikon G lens. Overall, real nice lens in my opinion, it will be on my camera alot.

I was afraid of this. Is it like that crappy Sigma that I have? I have been getting pissed off at that thing lately just for that reason.

steditrak
08-30-2011, 03:44 PM
Hi Evan.

I couldn't help but notice at the bottom of your postings, there seems to be an equipment list of sorts.

In particular, I noticed you have the FS-100 along with the Tokina 11-16 2.8

That's interesting.

I'm going to assume that you're using the Sony Alpha LA-EA1 Camera Mount Adapter as well.

(correct me if I'm wrong)

I don't know if you've already tried this, or have time to, but I'd love to see some footage from the FS-100 / Tokina 11-16 2.8 lens combination.

Stills, videos, I don't care. I'll take them all.

I just want to see how that lens works on this camera.

If you have any footage showing 11 through 16, that would be amazing.

Again I can't thank you enough.

AtticusLake
08-30-2011, 05:08 PM
This is a different type of thing that they make. It takes Nikon lenses:

Oh sweet! .... I just ordered an FD lens.... :cry:

cuervo
08-30-2011, 06:17 PM
Cuervo, did you tried to put it in a matte box? Is the big front element interfeing with the filters? I am considering this lens but need to know if I can use ND filters (4X4) with it.

I have a Redrock Micro mattebox that uses 4x4 filters. It works pretty well with the Sammy/Rokkie, but, you have to keep the filterbox pretty close to the lens. It has a built in lenshood that helps out.

eheath
08-30-2011, 07:28 PM
Hi Evan.

I couldn't help but notice at the bottom of your postings, there seems to be an equipment list of sorts.

In particular, I noticed you have the FS-100 along with the Tokina 11-16 2.8

That's interesting.

I'm going to assume that you're using the Sony Alpha LA-EA1 Camera Mount Adapter as well.

(correct me if I'm wrong)

I don't know if you've already tried this, or have time to, but I'd love to see some footage from the FS-100 / Tokina 11-16 2.8 lens combination.

Stills, videos, I don't care. I'll take them all.

I just want to see how that lens works on this camera.

If you have any footage showing 11 through 16, that would be amazing.

Again I can't thank you enough.

steditrak,

I will be receiving my 11-16 tomorrow i believe. Thought it was coming today, bummer. Ill definitely put some footage up. I got the nikon mount because other than the kit im using all nikon lenses.

steditrak
09-01-2011, 04:08 PM
steditrak,

I will be receiving my 11-16 tomorrow i believe. Thought it was coming today, bummer. Ill definitely put some footage up. I got the nikon mount because other than the kit im using all nikon lenses.

=============================================

Ummmm, OK Evan.

Any luck with that?

Douglas Villalba
09-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Where did you get it from?

steditrak
09-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Hi Evan. Still waiting for that FS-100 / Tokina 11-16 2.8 lens footage.

Anything?

eheath
09-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Hi Evan. Still waiting for that FS-100 / Tokina 11-16 2.8 lens footage.

Anything?

hey steditrak... it didnt come when i expected and i was out of town until tonight.. and it came! whoo!! initial looks are very nice, some interesting distortion at 11 but thats expected. NO VIGNETTE WITH MY 77MM nd fader which makes me SO HAPPY and im gonna film a bit with it the next couple days and try to get you guys a nice little review video

eheath
09-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Made a quick review with the tokina 11-16 and tamron 17-50 with and without my LCW ND fader.

I found at high ND levels, above 4-5 stops, there is some very weird spotting that is vert visible below 35mm. This is okay though since ill be stopping down my wide angle stuff to at least 8 or 11 so only 2-3 stops from the ND will be needed.

11mm is WIDE oh man and the tokina looks very nice overall, im really excited about it. the tamron is pretty solid lens too. if you guys have any questions, shoot.

http://vimeo.com/28743230
password is "test"

eheath
09-07-2011, 04:52 PM
note: that test was purely for focal length, i tried to keep exposures the same and focus correct but did it very quickly as i am pretty busy today. also, the spot i chose was not the best lighting choice for filming either, again, this was mainly for focal length comparison and to show with ND filter.

Searcher
09-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Thanks for doing that test. I have nikon manual ais glass: 20, 28, 35 and 50. I'm thinking of the Tokina for extra wide. I assume people don't talk about the NIkon 15mm because of cost? Or is there some other reason?

morgan_moore
09-09-2011, 10:12 PM
I have been looking for a wide and ideally a nikon to keep focus direction with my other nikkors

The 15 is both pricey and IMO a little too wide, thats why it has not been on my radar (and I have a 14!), Im in the process of of buying an 18 nikkor

I think things like the 17-55 give greater value on paper than a 15 or 18 prime

my choice was based on the fact I want to keep mass down and have a proper mechanical lens

I think it is worth considering a 15 or 18 if you have the money

Also many discussions about primes on the fora are based around lensing the 5d, for which 20 and 24 give a wide FOV - that may be why those wider lenses are lower on the digital radar

S

Searcher
09-10-2011, 12:11 AM
I guess I haven't considered the 18mm because I have the 20mm but maybe at that wide focal length every mm helps? I wish the 15mm wasn't so pricey! Maybe I just need to stop being so brand loyal. The Tokina looks awesome but I'm confused by the lack of aperture control.

morgan_moore
09-10-2011, 01:01 AM
I have no loyalty to brand.. but considering nikkor focus in a specific direction IMO you need loyalty to a direction of focus rotation

davidwinters
09-10-2011, 09:30 AM
I shot a 2 day architecture job for a very large real estate developer. Interiors and exteriors, all on the Dulcos Tokina 11-16mm, we used a lot of grads, pola and NDs for the various shots. Most of which were also on a pipe dolly. The Dulcos version is so incredibility well done. We mounted the follow focus on the iris gear for most shots, as we were constantly pulling iris to dolly from window ext views to interior room.

http://dpwinters.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/photo-61.jpg

http://dpwinters.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/photo-58.jpg

MattDavis
09-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Dulcos Tokina 11-16mm

Like, +1, want one, awesome, but OMG - price.

Can we, those who bought the standard one, wait until MTF EOS (http://philipbloom.net/2011/09/09/ibc-2011-new-canon-ef-mount-that-controls-iris-for-f3-fs100-and-af100101/)mount comes along?

Maybe not. Good to see the Tokina receive the attention it deserves. Truly awesome lens, and yes - probably worth $3k as a PL mount 'variable prime' with accurate focus, clickless iris, tank like build quality. If you shoot wide for a living, it will pay back.

But I'm buying the MTF adaptor first..!

davidwinters
09-10-2011, 12:26 PM
Dulcos is a rental item for me. I have a EOS Tokina and dumb mount.

MTF mount looks pretty good. Although I hope it is possible to set iris without the big external box. I'm patiently waiting for the Birger.

I have a Birger for Red one FS.

Searcher
09-10-2011, 06:56 PM
I have no loyalty to brand.. but considering nikkor focus in a specific direction IMO you need loyalty to a direction of focus rotation
I've been using Nikons since I was a kid so the "Nikon direction" is ingrained by now. If I ever step up to fancy glass that focuses the cine way I guess I can get a FF that reverses the direction.

MattDavis
09-11-2011, 08:33 AM
I note, in passing (not that I've been suddenly struck with avarice or anything), that there is an e-mount Tokina 11-16 available in the UK for 740.25, which does seem a little excessive based on a Nikon or EOS mount version at about 440. But you'd get AF, iris on the thumbwheel and Auto Iris. If you like that kind of thing (and Red/Epic users do, apparently).

Come on Erik, come on Michael, get your EOS adaptors out for FS100! Never mind those horrible little-ender froggy-focusing Nikonites, ignore the funny looking AF100 thing behind the curtain, ignore those cash-rich PL-mount-lens-buying, cheese-eating glass-renters in the F3 camp...

Build and deliver us the EOS adaptor we FS100 brethren will buy and use! :)

Chris Johnston
09-11-2011, 08:44 AM
You sure that's an E mount?

MattDavis
09-11-2011, 08:48 AM
Busted! Yes, actually that's an A or 'Alpha' mount - sluggish, low tech thing. And 300 more. Even more reason to either get an EOS adaptor or hock one of one's more distant family members on eBay for one of those Dulcos items.

morgan_moore
09-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Come on Erik, come on Michael, get your EOS adaptors out for FS100! Never mind those horrible little-ender froggy-focusing Nikonites, ignore the funny looking AF100 thing behind the curtain, ignore those cash-rich PL-mount-lens-buying, cheese-eating glass-renters in the F3 camp...

Build and deliver us the EOS adaptor we FS100 brethren will buy and use! :)

Love it :)

eheath
09-11-2011, 12:06 PM
Busted! Yes, actually that's an A or 'Alpha' mount - sluggish, low tech thing. And 300 more. Even more reason to either get an EOS adaptor or hock one of one's more distant family members on eBay for one of those Dulcos items.

the alpha mount 11-16 is the same prices at the nikon and canon on b&h.

MattDavis
09-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Whoop-de-doo, all hail America. In the UK, we pay taxes on top of that, plus we get the 'Customs Lottery' of whether the goods come in with further handling charges (beyond actual taxes and extortion money, we're talking overpriced paperwork and extortion here). B&H - I mean, nice chaps and all, but the guys in between? Nah. This probably explains why we have to pay 300 (is that, like, an extra $450?) on top for the Alpha mount. Yes, you get it at a sensible price. We do not. We, therefore, continue to throw rose petals and sugared almonds at the EOS adaptor makers to encourage them to ship something.

Sorry, have been doing subtitles for about 24 hours straight, and feel about as calm and polite as one of the crab things from planet Snafu in Storm Troopers.

PS: I don't think the planet was called Snafu, come to think of it. But it ruddy well should have been.

steditrak
09-11-2011, 04:23 PM

Hi Evan.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

I am soooooo humbly grateful for your footage.

I can't thank you enough, and apparently neither can anybody else.

OK, so I'm totally sold on the Tokina 11-16 lens.

Hands down, it's the best bang for the buck.

The only piece of the puzzle I'm missing is the adapter.

Which one did you go with and why?

Again, thanks for the help.

eheath
09-11-2011, 06:06 PM
The only piece of the puzzle I'm missing is the adapter.

Which one did you go with and why?

I went with the fotodoix adapter because i am on a budget. With manual lenses, its great cause you can "lock" it down but with the G lenses, you use this locking ring to adjust aperture so there is a very small amount of play but really doesn't effect how i use the camera and lenses.

steditrak
09-11-2011, 06:52 PM
I went with the fotodoix adapter because i am on a budget. With manual lenses, its great cause you can "lock" it down but with the G lenses, you use this locking ring to adjust aperture so there is a very small amount of play but really doesn't effect how i use the camera and lenses.

If I have to pay more for an adapter that doesn't move around, it's money well spent.

I plan on using it with my Steadicam, so no amount of play would be preferred.

But the bigger question for me is which particular lens should I buy?

According to B&H, there's three of them to choose from:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=tokina+11-16mm&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

One for Nikon DX-Format DSLRs, one for Canon APS-C DSLRs, and another For Sony Alpha DSLRs.

Which is the best option?

Which "zero play" adapter should I buy for it?

Searcher
09-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Hi Evan

I can't thank you enough, and apparently neither can anybody else.

You obviously missed my post on page 4: "Thanks for doing that test."

Searcher
09-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Which Tokina you buy might depend partly on what glass you already own. I have all Nikon glass so I would go with the Nikon mount.

AtticusLake
09-12-2011, 08:06 AM

A couple of points that may be relevant (to those of us in the Land of Cheap Toys :happy: (sorry Matt, expat Brit here, couldn't resist)):

With an Alpha mount lens and the Sony adapter, you can control the lens aperture using the iris ring on the camera. This is cool because you get access to all the iris stops, and you see the iris setting on the display. However, it's far from smooth -- in one direction in particular, it makes a huge "clickclick" for each step.

Also with Alpha, you have the potential of getting AF one day, for what it's worth (and it will probably suck, but what the heck). Right now, I don't think there's any way to apply the firmware update to the alpha adapter using an FS100 -- presumably you could do it if you also had a NEX-5 or whatever.

steditrak
09-13-2011, 05:29 PM
A couple of points that may be relevant (to those of us in the Land of Cheap Toys :happy: (sorry Matt, expat Brit here, couldn't resist)):

With an Alpha mount lens and the Sony adapter, you can control the lens aperture using the iris ring on the camera. This is cool because you get access to all the iris stops, and you see the iris setting on the display. However, it's far from smooth -- in one direction in particular, it makes a huge "clickclick" for each step.

Also with Alpha, you have the potential of getting AF one day, for what it's worth (and it will probably suck, but what the heck). Right now, I don't think there's any way to apply the firmware update to the alpha adapter using an FS100 -- presumably you could do it if you also had a NEX-5 or whatever.

Having the ability to control the lens aperture using the iris ring on the camera is useful. Getting access to all the iris stops, and being able to see the iris setting on the display is even better.

So it's settled.

I now know which lens and adapter I need to buy:

"Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X 116 Pro DX Autofocus Lens For Sony Alpha DSLRs"

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/687279-REG/Tokina_ATX116PRODXS_11_16mm_f_2_8_AT_X_116.html

and...

"Sony Alpha LA-EA1 Camera Mount Adapter"

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/712886-REG/Sony_LAEA1_LAEA1_ADAPTER_f_A_MOUNT_LENS.html

Now before I max out my credit card for yet another equipment purchase, is there anything I missed?

If not, thanks to the help of everyone on this forum, I've made an informed decision.

Thanks for all the help.

alaskacameradude
09-13-2011, 07:20 PM
Having the ability to control the lens aperture using the iris ring on the camera is useful. Getting access to all the iris stops, and being able to see the iris setting on the display is even better.

So it's settled.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/687279-REG/Tokina_ATX116PRODXS_11_16mm_f_2_8_AT_X_116.html

and...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/712886-REG/Sony_LAEA1_LAEA1_ADAPTER_f_A_MOUNT_LENS.html

Now before I max out my credit card for yet another equipment purchase, is there anything I missed?

If not, thanks to the help of everyone on this forum, I've made an informed decision.

Thanks for all the help.

Not to mess up your decision but....

Sony has announced the Sony Alpha LA-EA2 A to E mount adapter. Not sure exactly what it will do. I have heard pretty consistently that it will enable
autofocus on all A mount lenses. I have heard a couple rumors that it will handle the iris changes a little better. However, I don't think it is coming
out until next month?....maybe? I've heard October, November or December for shipping dates. But for certain, Sony announced it on August 24th.

http://notesonvideo.blogspot.com/2011/08/sony-la-ea2-lens-adapter.html

Second, I recently saw this:
http://www.zunow.tv/E-Mount/Zunow-SWV-E11-16.html

Now I have no idea how much it will cost, or when it will be released. Seems like some manufacturers are finally jumping into the fray
as they see money to be made from all of us FS 100 owners.

Kyle McConaghy
09-13-2011, 08:57 PM
Has anyone used the Rokinon 14mm with the FS100? Would that be a good alternative to the Tokina 11-16?

eheath
09-13-2011, 10:52 PM

So it's settled.

and...

Thanks for all the help.

This will work for you if you're not using any other nikon or canon glass. I got the nikon mount version simply because I already use 5 other nikon lenses and one emount lens so there is no point buying another separate adapter just to be able to control the iris through the body.

The control with the fotodoix adapter is fine for me. I even created "marks" where my aperture points are by using my manual 50mm and my histogram. I just put down a piece of tape below my histogram and at each click i made a mark where the whites were, starting with 2.8 right below clipping.

Then, i put my tokina on and put a piece of tape on the barrel of the adapter next to the ring and went stop by stop marking it. The stops are only a mm or two apart but hey it helps. with my wider lenses im gonna be running 8-11 anyways so accurate aperture isn't exactly needed.

AtticusLake
09-14-2011, 07:58 AM
This will work for you if you're not using any other nikon or canon glass.

Well, given that the Fotodiox E -> Nikon adapter is only $40 (amazon), I can easily see having both. Personally I have an Alpha adapter for my Tamron lens, and an FD adapter for a Canon 50mm.

The control with the fotodoix adapter is fine for me. I even created "marks" where my aperture points are...

Thanks for posting that! I had been wondering how fine the aperture control would be for G-series lenses, now I know. So that opens up another option.

AtticusLake
09-14-2011, 08:01 AM

I should just point out that my observation is based on my Alpha-mount Tamron 17-50; I would think, though, that it would be the same for other Alpha lenses. I was hoping my Alpha-mount Tokina 11-16 was going to be here a couple of days ago so I could confirm, but I guess they shipped it by slugwagon. After 4 days hard travel it's in Utah.

steditrak
09-14-2011, 02:50 PM
I should just point out that my observation is based on my Alpha-mount Tamron 17-50; I would think, though, that it would be the same for other Alpha lenses. I was hoping my Alpha-mount Tokina 11-16 was going to be here a couple of days ago so I could confirm, but I guess they shipped it by slugwagon. After 4 days hard travel it's in Utah.

According to your equipment list, it appears you also own the FS100.

Now you're waiting for the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 lens to go with your Sony Alpha LA-EA1 Camera Mount Adapter.

Sure hope you get it soon 'cause I'd love to see the footage.

steditrak
09-16-2011, 01:56 PM
Get the Sony Alpha mount adapter for the E-mount, and then get the Tokina 11-16mm with Sony Alpha mount. It's about the best you can do without going absolutely nuts.

I doubt you find anything without some perspective distortion, but some lenses are worlds better than others.

I don't for the life of me know how or why I missed your posting. There you were all the time and I never even noticed.

Sorry 'bout that.

Just to be sure, I assume you're referring to the following:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._AT_X_116.html

and...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...OUNT_LENS.html

steditrak
09-20-2011, 03:00 AM
Where did everybody go?

ShawnLam
11-06-2011, 07:49 AM
The Sony SAL1650 16-50mm f/2.8 is a real contender, especially when the Sony LA-EA2 adapater gets FS100 firmware.

It is fast, parfocal, and produces a really sharp image.

Sony SAL1650 DT 16-50mm f/2.8 Review on Sony NEX-FS100 (http://www.shawnlam.ca/2011/sony-sal1650-on-nex-fs100/)