PDA

View Full Version : Music video shot with FS100 and Sony EX1

cuervo
08-27-2011, 03:47 AM
I thought I'd share a music video I just finished up, using the FS100 and a Sony EX1. Both cameras were used with a Nanoflash. I also used stock footage on some shots.
http://www.vimeo.com/28221419

legrevedotcom
08-27-2011, 04:29 AM
What was going on with the band shots and the greyed out background?

cuervo
08-27-2011, 04:39 AM
The band shots were old EX1 footage. The band wanted a video and this is the only footage I had. The original shootring conditions were atrocious, with the band inside and very brightly lit windows looking outside on a sunny day, backlighting the band. In the original footage, those windows were very blown out. This was the best I could do to mitigate the funky windows. I could have made the windows anything, trying total black, but, that looked VERY weird.

ARTnVIDEO
08-27-2011, 07:46 AM
If they wanted a video, they got a video, and just a video. Sometimes it's better to say no!

It would have served them much better to just get the band performing in a room with out anything else in it. Blown out windows or not the video looks like someone went through a slew of random footage blindfolded. My opinion, and no intention on being rude.

cuervo
08-27-2011, 07:50 AM
All criticism welcome. That's what public forums are all about, yes? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If the images make no sense to you, then they make no sense to you. And your perspective is valid. This ain't, exactly, a "feel-good" video. The intention IS to make you feel uncomfortable....not all significant film is beautiful sunrises or flowered forests.

Ya gotta love your "can-do" attitude, artnvideo. Do you tell everyone who comes to you for help to take a flyin' leap? Since I've never seen you post any work, I can only assume you don't have customers. I guess you just sit back and criticize.

I will say that the FS100 is a true pleasure to use. While my EX1 shoots quite a nice picture, the FS100 is so much easier to work with. I love this cam.

moldcad
08-27-2011, 08:36 AM
I will say that the FS100 is a true pleasure to use. While my EX1 shoots quite a nice picture, the FS100 is so much easier to work with. I love this cam.

Amen to that, Bill :)

PS. I also have the two, so I know what I'm saying!

nyvz
08-27-2011, 02:05 PM
The band shots were old EX1 footage. The band wanted a video and this is the only footage I had. The original shootring conditions were atrocious, with the band inside and very brightly lit windows looking outside on a sunny day, backlighting the band. In the original footage, those windows were very blown out. This was the best I could do to mitigate the funky windows. I could have made the windows anything, trying total black, but, that looked VERY weird.

It seems to me that it would have looked better left natural or maybe if you color graded to augment the overexposed look. The grey just looks strange.

cuervo
08-27-2011, 02:17 PM
good feedback... thanx. This is a wee bit experimental......:happy:
It seems to me that it would have looked better left natural or maybe if you color graded to augment the overexposed look. The grey just looks strange.

cuervo
08-29-2011, 01:07 PM
Dunno why I didn't think of this earlier! I can pull a luma key on the blown out windows, then fill the key with another image...like clouds....or whatever. I'm gonna give that a try. Thanx for the thought, that set me to thinking.

vousetestouscons
08-29-2011, 10:22 PM
If you had wanted to make a amateur "home movie" you would not have done it any differently. This video has no aethetic vision. You have no interesting shots, no interesting colours, no interesting camera moves, no close ups, no interesting editing, no interesting effects..... nothing. Just amateur coverage. No lighting. This is anything BUT a music video. A 10 year old could have shot this with his prosumer camera and a low end shareware editing program could have gotten a better result. Get your act together. It is a waste to own 2 expensive cameras. As for the Nanoflash... you've got to be kidding. You're light years away from shooting something that deserves Nanoflash technologies. Stop spending money on equipment and start learning the craft.

cuervo
08-30-2011, 03:39 AM
whoa...have a fight with your wife this morning vousetestouscons? Or are you off your meds? I'd love to see your work. Or is it hard to shoot while you're on your skateboard? Or maybe you're mean just because your name is so hard to say.

so, gee, I'm really sad that my work isn't up to your artistic expectations. I guess that means I can't add you to my "friends"...LOL

oh wait....come to think of it, you didn't say that the video had no social relevance, whew, that would have REALLY hurt my feelings. Perfect lighting, inspired vision, and excellence in editing isn't going to change the fact that millions of people in the USA are out of work, or have lost untold billions in lifetime savings. But then, maybe if I had shot a video of my weekend car racing, we wouldn't have to face these issues. Sorry for waking you up, dude.

anyhow, your gracious comments are welcome. :love4: have a nice day.

nyvz
08-30-2011, 09:22 AM
Dunno why I didn't think of this earlier! I can pull a luma key on the blown out windows, then fill the key with another image...like clouds....or whatever. I'm gonna give that a try. Thanx for the thought, that set me to thinking.

I don't think you'll ever get that luma key to look right without some serious rotoscoping and a bit of tracking since you have camera movement. Plus you have transparent reflective surfaces in your background that would be difficult with a chroma key and nearly impossible with a luma key. At least based on my understanding. Again, I think unless you are an amazing compositor and have the time to really do a key right, I think you'd still be better off just letting the blown whites stay white.

cuervo
08-30-2011, 09:53 AM
Yeah, you're right, nyvz. I ended up making a luma key in Color Finesse. Once I had established the key in a contrasting monolithic color, I could do a standard key. The beauty of this approach is that I can go back and rotoscope the inappropriate luma keys. I have this approach rendered out and it looks pretty good. Having a double pass key, I have two opportunities to do a tolerance and strength adjustment. There's still a little bit of twitter, I need to go back and tweak some of the key tolerances, but, I'm making progress. I suspect I'll never totally get rid of that dratted twitter.

Thanx again for your constructive input.

More along the lines of comparing the EX1 and the FS100, I am noticing that the FS100 is a LOT more tolerant to over/underexposure than the EX1. The old shots taken with the EX1 were exposed for the faces, blowing out the hi-lights. It's called dynamic range, duh. Unfortunately, the EX1 seems to suffer a lot of overall picture degredation from the blooming of the over-exposed hi-lites. Once that blooming affects the image, there is no recovery. The FS100 is,as I said, much more forgiving, especially with the Nano.

nyvz
08-30-2011, 01:23 PM
That may tend to depend on the picture profile settings used on the EX1 or FS100. Cinematone1 on the FS100 is very nice for latitude and for highlights, whereas the EX1 has more options with various strengths and weaknesses and more adjustability. If you were not using a cinegamma on the EX1, blow-outs tend to be very harsh. Overall, though, EX1 cinegamma compared to FS100 cinematone, I do agree the FS100 will usually give better results.

vousetestouscons
08-31-2011, 01:57 AM
I'll give you three examples: The band is filmed with a static master shot. That is called coverage. If I point my camera at anything to get a static master shot, I'm not doing anything creative. I'm just being a camera set-up guy. Second example: The blue screen effect. What where you thinking? It looks awful. It would have been better to just keep the original shot without any chroma keying effect. Third example: the computer screen. What exactly are you trying to show here? There is nothing to look at and it just looks like a fill in shot. The list goes on and on. What about depth of field? This video has infinite depth on field in almost everything. Where are the colours? You could at least have added saturation in post. You could have done zillions of things to make this video better. All I'm saying is that it is a waste to use top of the line codec and cameras for this kind of work. Food for thought and improvement.

ddp
08-31-2011, 03:00 AM
Well I can't watch the video since I don't have a password, but there's two ways to give constructive criticism and two ways to take it...... "Food for thought and improvement" times 2.

ARTnVIDEO
08-31-2011, 07:17 AM
Cuervo,

from your initial post it seemed like you were kinda proud to display the video, it wasn't until people started giving not so desirable feedback that you added the password restriction. I guess all feedback is not welcome after all.

Well I can't watch the video since I don't have a password, but there's two ways to give constructive criticism and two ways to take it...... "Food for thought and improvement" times 2.

It's probably better that his "video" is password protected, at least now, he can control who views his video and get the kind of feedback he's looking for. ( I know there's been many times that all of us, may have not received the desired feedback... It happens!

cuervo
08-31-2011, 08:25 AM
wow...I'm really pleased with the responses I've gotten. I got exactly the feedback I need to go forward with this project. Thanks, so much to everyone for their passionate input...perfect! It works....:cheesy:. Like it or not, this got attention....and that's a good thing.

vousetestouscons
08-31-2011, 02:57 PM
And stop bragging about your equipement until you actually know how to use it. Good luck.

Jon Neely
09-03-2011, 09:31 PM
After reading that, I really want to see the video!

PabloOzzy
09-03-2011, 11:47 PM
After reading that, I really want to see the video!

Actually no you really dont. Besides his next project will be miles better - most probably shot with an Epic using B cam footage from an Alexa!

HDRx would have nailed those windows ;-)

Darkdeity9194
09-04-2011, 08:26 AM
Actually no you really don't. Besides his next project will be miles better - most probably shot with an Epic using B cam footage from an Alexa!

HDRx would have nailed those windows ;-)

Sorry to say buddy, but sarcasm usually fails on the internet and just comes across as you being a ass.

@Cuervo-May I see the actual video? There were some very harsh criticism from people who obviously woke up on the wrong side of the bed or have a problem that you own high end gear. I wanna get an opinion myself and see just what everyone's problem is.

ARTnVIDEO
09-04-2011, 09:32 AM
I'm no pro, but I don't believe it had anything to do with his equipment, and the video received the same harsh criticism on vimeo.

PabloOzzy
09-04-2011, 03:35 PM
@ Darkdeity9194 - Hmm I was going for dark sarcastic humour but clearly fell short, ass trumps class yet again.

While on the topic of class I will however say that you only need to look at the original posters comments when ARTnVIDEO made some very direct observations. Immediately after stating that all criticism was welcome he went into a tirade attacking the guy...then when a few others came in pointing out how bad it actually was he passworded the video.

I do also have to say to cuervo that although not everything has to be butterflies and Bokeh, when you add visuals to a song the main aim should always be to engage the audience to the extent that even if they dont care for the song - they watch it through to the end. Your visuals had me turn it off after 20 seconds or so and clearly I wasnt the only one. Not an ideal outcome for the client in my book. Sorry.

Ryan Lightbourn
09-04-2011, 07:45 PM
For the folks who missed the video...it was like the Troll 2 of music videos minus all traces of camp humor.

mico
09-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Someone offers to share some of their work and because its not up to some peoples standards the pile up begins. I am questioning the need to hammer this to death. Good or bad someone created something they felt worthwhile. End of story.

Searcher
09-04-2011, 08:55 PM
There's a skill to both giving and receiving criticism. The OP and one or two other posters might do well to read the following thread in the "User Films" section: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?154749-Suggestions-on-Giving-and-Receiving-Criticism

cuervo
09-05-2011, 06:04 AM
Great observation, Mico. This entire experiment served several purposes. The raw material was, clearly, sub-par. But, it was a first draft version of something the customer requested. As you noted, I really find it rather sad that critics were more insulting than helpful. As you said, there is a way to give useful criticism. As any stage actor will tell you, anyone who places work before the public has to be prepared for the hecklers and disenfranchised. One bad performance does not define an actor. I must say that this video, of which I am not particularly enamoured, garnered more comments and attention than it deserved, as you can tell from the previous comments. I mean, clearly, it pushed some buttons, and continues with a life of its own...which I find rather silly. Oh well. On a different note, there are a lot of people who thought it was very entertaining. hah!...this whole thing continues to amuse.....great entertainment to read the continuing discussion. End of story.
PabloOzzy, thanx. I think you said the most valid comment to date. If the video doesn't support the music, it has failed. Curiously, despite the negativity it received here, many viewers have liked it...so, go figure. The project continues to evolve beyond the draft that was posted here. I think this particular forum isn't the right venue for this kind of material. I guess I have learned that..LOL
Someone offers to share some of their work and because its not up to some peoples standards the pile up begins. I am questioning the need to hammer this to death. Good or bad someone created something they felt worthwhile. End of story.

PabloOzzy
09-05-2011, 06:36 AM
Not sure if you caught this link on another post here in the FS100 section:

http://vimeo.com/27580170

This dude has a lot of really interesting visuals, although I'm not sure I'd be game risking the sensor by 'whacking' with a $5k camera ;-) Either way I like how on this one he combines a one take live shot with other footage grabbed on the night to pull together a very nice music clip. I've always wanted to do some live gigs but figured it wouldn't cut it unless you had multiple cameras. This proves it can be done so I will have to bite the bullet and stake out some local pubs.

ARTnVIDEO
09-05-2011, 07:21 AM
Cuervo, I understand your feelings on the criticism, but from your original post it seemed like you were cool with this being your final draft for the band. You justified the windows, when you could have said then, that this was a rough draft, and you were here to get helpful info on correcting the things you were unhappy with. You pretty much presented the video like
I thought I'd share a music video I just finished up, using the FS100 and a Sony EX1. Both cameras were used with a Nanoflash. I also used stock footage on some shots. http://www.vimeo.com/28221419 (http://www.vimeo.com/28221419) Finished means Finished. Again not trying to be rude, I gave my opinion, and you respond, then you go and edit your original response to me three days later with
Ya gotta love your "can-do" attitude, artnvideo. Do you tell everyone who comes to you for help to take a flyin' leap? Since I've never seen you post any work, I can only assume you don't have customers. I guess you just sit back and criticize. If someone came to me for help asking for a music video, if the original shooting conditions were "Horrendous" I would have gave my imput on how to make the video shoot better for the band, and if they didnt understand the need to get them better footage, and they insisted on me giving them a video that was not up to my desired result for my work, I wouldn't push it as "a music video I just finished up" and expect positive criticism, because I already would have known the video was not the kinda of work I want to put out.

I'm done with this thread, I hope you can understand, but if not keep shooting, keep doing what you do!:Drogar-Happy(DBG):

cuervo
09-05-2011, 11:13 AM
ArtnVideo

Thanx. I mean that sincerely. Perhaps I'm to blame for not pointing out the "draft" version of this thing. So, I think we can agree to call this thread dead. It deserves to die.