PDA

View Full Version : Factory PPs: oversaturated Red everyone?

moldcad
08-26-2011, 01:56 AM
Being busy with another project (involving my EX1), I didn't have time to play with my FS100 too much - only today for the first time I started checking PP settings, gammas, color matrices etc. I don't remember anyone complaining about this, so let me ask whether all FS100 cameras red channel is as saturated as in mine (using PP4 factory settings):

alaskacameradude
08-26-2011, 02:16 AM
I have thought that the reds looked oversaturated on some of my stuff. Luckily, you can tweak pretty much anything if you want to change the look. Just curious, since you have both,
how do you feel the FS 100 image compares to the EX-1?

moldcad
08-26-2011, 02:23 AM
Sure I can take care of that by creating my own PPs, which I would do anyway:) Just wanted to make sure my unit is not malfunctioning.

As to your other question: a lot to be said on EX1 vs. FS100 comparison, frankly have no time at the moment for that. So just one obvious statement re: picture quality: while the EX1 is certainly more detailed (1000 lines vs 700, if I recall correctly), it also is waaaay more noisy.

Thanks,

Piotr

eheath
08-26-2011, 11:23 AM
I definitely have the color depth of red set a couple notches lower than every other color.

alaskacameradude
08-26-2011, 12:34 PM
I definitely have the color depth of red set a couple notches lower than every other color.

Me too, I just have to remember which picture profile I have it mapped to.....was it PP3 or PP4?.....dang it!

moldcad
08-26-2011, 01:01 PM
Ha, ha. This lack of proper names is an annoyance, isn't it. Myself, I'm going to memorize using some relation to my EX1 profiles, which tend to take their names after the gamma they are using, e.g. C1HiLiShOn would the one with Cine 1, sharp, and intended for use in bright light, while S4LoLiShOf - Standard 4 gamma, for low light, and Sharpening off...

moldcad
08-26-2011, 01:04 PM
A couple more questions from an FS100 newbie:

- do you perform black balancing at lens change (the manual suggests so)
- which USB drives do and which do not work for off-loading? My 300GB WD My Passport III doesn't and I suspect it needs to much current to even spin up...