PDA

View Full Version : Signal output & Pulldown - straight from the horses mouth

Postmaster
08-24-2011, 01:47 PM
This is from the Sony Cinealta Blog - thought it might be interesting

Signal output RGB or 422?

The HDMI 1.4 port used on the FS100 outputs uncompressed 8-bit 4:2:2 or 8-bit RGB signals. Auto negotiation (EDID) takes place when an external recorder and FS100 are initially connected via HDMI and cable. During the EDID exchange, the FS100 and external recorder negotiate the highest quality signal common to the FS100 and recorder. From then on, the FS100 will output the negotiated signal. There is no menu in the camera to force a particular mode.

24P via HDMI

Even though the FS100 internally records native 24p, it simultaneously outputs a 60i signal with pull-down via HDMI. As a solution, Sony developed an original method to insert timecode and pull-down markers on the HDMI signal. Timecode allows external recorders to start/ stop and record camera generated time-code. The pull-down marker facilitates externally recording native 24p signals by removing pull-down during transcode.

Early on, Sony approached all major recorder manufactures to implement time-code and pull-down removal. Some recorders already record native 24p from the FS100's HDMI. I will follow-up with a list of compatible recorders.

Note1 The pull-down process adds (repeats) fields in order to increase the frame rate from form the 24fps to 30fps (60i). The original 24p payload remains unchanged.

http://nao.sonyelectronicscommunity.com/blog_post/?contentid=7529860832199387576

And while at it, AbelCine has some tips on the FS100 pulldown workflow:

http://blog.abelcine.com/2011/08/19/simple-workflow-for-removing-23-pull-down/

Frank

NeedCreative
08-25-2011, 08:27 AM
One note to add that I mentioned to them but they haven't followed up on: RGB is by definition like "4:4:4"; i.e. there is no color subsampling at all. This is why Sony's own brochure mentions the cam puts out 4:2:2 uncompressed w/color subsampling or 4:4:4 RGB.