PDA

View Full Version : Buying a FS-100 Tmr (Nikon/Canon Lens)

Hobbes00
08-23-2011, 11:19 AM
G'day guys, I finally need to get a video camera for a ton of corporate interviews.

I don't think syncing audio acquired by DSLR and an audio recorder will be wise when you're doing 20+ interviews.

I'm own many Canon lens but there isn't ANY proper adapter out there... I plan to just get the best possible walk-around lens for the time being.

Was thinking of...
1. FS-100 (With or without stock lens - What do you guys think)
2. Nikon 17-55 f2.8 (or 24-70 f2.8)
3. Nikon Lens adapter (Which one do you suggest?)
4. A vari-ND (Which do you guys recommend)

Am I lacking/missing anything essential else to start with?

Thanks in advance for taking time to read and help me out!

Cheers,David from Singapore

Stephen Mick
08-23-2011, 11:35 AM
1. I love the stock lens, especially if you're doing any kind of run and gun work where you need the speed and responsiveness of a "camcorder."
2. Either Nikon should give lovely images on the FS-100.
3. I use the Novoflex, but the Bower seems to work very well also.
4. If you can find one, the Heliopan is great. I've got a Singh-Ray Vari-ND and love it.

SM

Chris Johnston
08-23-2011, 12:54 PM
This is almost the exact same thing I was looking to do....
Are the 2 Nikon lens' able to manually adjust the iris? I was looking at b+h photos and it doesn't have an iris ring like the ais type glass.?

Stephen, The price diff between the 2 adapters is kinda big.......any build or function reason behind the difference?

Also here's a review of the novoflex from b+h......

I use this adapter on my fs100 with my zeiss zf.2 and nikon lenses. It comes on and off super easy and is very solid- no play whatsoever. It also can adjust aperture with lenses with or without an iris ring. Excellent purchase.

You can adjust aperture with the novoflex??? Say... on the nikon 24-70 2.8 DX?

Stephen Mick
08-23-2011, 01:00 PM
The Novoflex will control the aperture on my manual Nikon glass, where the Bower does not. That's the real reason for the price difference.

As far as the iris ring goes, I can't say for sure. I want to say that the Novoflex will, indeed, control the iris, as I seem to remember testing that quickly at some point. Hopefully someone with a bit more experience with more "modern" Nikon glass will chime in.

ade4all
08-23-2011, 01:31 PM
get the older 28-70mm nikon if you want an aperture ring on the lens

Chris Johnston
08-23-2011, 02:35 PM
get the older 28-70mm nikon if you want an aperture ring on the lens

Unfortunately I have to buy from B+H so it has to be new.

ade4all
08-23-2011, 03:03 PM
ok, the 24-70 & 17-55 are both great lenses, then get the novoflex adaptor, you'll be able to control the aperture although you wont know the exact number

AndyInBuffalo
08-23-2011, 03:38 PM
With the kit lens you'll need to shoot with auto iris if you intend to zoom live since the lens does not have a constant aperture.

alaskacameradude
08-23-2011, 04:10 PM
With the kit lens you'll need to shoot with auto iris if you intend to zoom live since the lens does not have a constant aperture.
Not necessarily true. Only if you are going to be more open then the 'tele' end of the lens can be set to. For example, if you are using Fstop 6.3 or higher, you can zoom live with no aperature change.

eheath
08-23-2011, 04:32 PM
Unfortunately I have to buy from B+H so it has to be new.

You can buy used from b&h. The kit lens is nice, its a bummer you have all canon lenses. Canon lenses are pointless unless they're on a canon body. For budget lenses, check out the tamron 17-50mm 2.8 in nikon mount. Solid lens, looks real good. Also, i have the fotodoix adapter, only 50 bucks. Its not the most solid thing in the world, but its solid enough for me. You could pay 300 bucks for that one more notch of solidness, but thats not worth it to me.

morgan_moore
08-24-2011, 12:31 AM
Birger or someone may come out with a canon controller at some point - and it may be awesome

Thats the reason I am..

Holding on to my canon glass

Not buying a nikkor 17-55 yet

Im muddling along with my nikkor primes and the kit lens awaiting the outcome of this

A well controlled 17-55 is what I am after and it could be the canon (actually I have tokina 16-50)

Time will tell

S

ade4all
08-24-2011, 02:20 AM
for what its worth i got the fotodiox adaptor & my copy is crap, loads of play - some people have had luck with the cheap adaptors but for me the novoflex just works, seems a lot of money for a hunk of metal but i wish I'd just bought it 1st time around
edit - mine is for the panasonic af101 though, may have better luck with sony version

MattDavis
08-24-2011, 03:18 AM
I use the Nikkor G series 17-55 F2.8 as my main interview lens, getting great results with it. But...

The Nikkor 'direction to infinity' (twisting clockwise from the operator's PoV) is the opposite to broadcast, cine and Canon lenses, and is driving me NUTS. May sell the lens to part-pay for a Birger mount, and use my Canon 17-55 with IS.

I splashed out on an MTF Nikkor adaptor, which does mechanically close the iris in a smooth clickless fashion, but it's only fair to point out that it's extremely sensitive, going from wide open to f22 in about 30 degrees. Give me a drinking straw and an MTF adaptor, and I could probably drop half a stop by blowing on it.

As for the Sony Kit Lens, I use it, but it also has some focusing anomalies which have prevented me from getting totally gushy about it. I've tested it on the FS100 side by side with my EX1, and yes it does, in theory, turn an FS100 into a sort of Faux EX1. I hesitate because the focusing is totally servo-driven - and you can turn the focus ring slowly and not drive the focus mechanism at all. It could be a two speed rocker switch for all its control finesse. Also, in auto mode, there's no manual override. Whilst it can track medium motion, it can take some time (and persuasion) to focus from far to near. I pretty much leave it in 'push-auto' focus mode when I'm using it.

So if you want quick accurate focus, I guess it's manual and FF all the way. :)

morgan_moore
08-24-2011, 04:25 AM
direction is a major thing

Im all nikon or AF on the kit lens

may choose to go never nikon if birger get their controller together

whil you can relearn the direction I dont think you can swap mid job

any progress on this ??

S

MattDavis
08-24-2011, 04:30 AM
There may be some Canon mount action at IBC.

Hobbes00
08-24-2011, 12:37 PM
I got it!!! (: (: (: I'm happy with the dynamic range and how it handles the shadows! I'm learning to get use to the ergonomics - Which should be fine after a few shoots. I'm ust not really happy that Canon Lenses can't be used properly at this moment!

Big impt question, would a Sony 24-70 f2.8 be a wise choice? (Heard the Iris is acts in a screwy way for video)

alaskacameradude
08-24-2011, 12:53 PM
I think it's actually the alpha to E mount adapter that cause the 'screwy' iris behavior. But then again, this mount just came out today which may (or may not) help matters.

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2011/08/new-gear-sony-introduces-three-new-e-mount-lenses-and-to-e-mount-adapter