PDA

View Full Version : SmallHD DP6 Power Oprions: What are you using?

bkmvincent
08-22-2011, 12:41 PM
Like the title says: what plate are you using? I just picked up the DP6 and I have no use for the LP-E6 plate. I'm wondering what I should do?

morgan_moore
08-22-2011, 01:00 PM
I have Dtap solutions from Hawkwoods..

Long life V lock

Short Life - sony Dtap batt plate

takes same batts as the camera

both sit on rails not on the monitor

S

Postmaster
08-22-2011, 01:02 PM
v-mount with adapter plate on rails all the way.
Lastīs almost a day.

Frank

bkmvincent
08-22-2011, 01:03 PM
I have Dtap solutions from Hawkwoods..

Long life V lock

Short Life - sony Dtap batt plate

takes same batts as the camera

both sit on rails not on the monitor

S

Could you link to the sony d-tap you're using?

v-mount with adapter plate on rails all the way.
Lastīs almost a day.

Frank

I might go this direction when I get my rail system. Haven't decided yet...

morgan_moore
08-22-2011, 01:47 PM
hawkwoods batts - they dont have the item on their website

its called ..

a "dv-oem" with power conn fitted

DC EX1
08-22-2011, 06:28 PM
I use the SmallHD Li-ion rechargeable batteries... they last for 4-5 hours and I have 2... They are lightweight and work like a charm, plus there's a mounting plate to keep the dp6 slim

rejdmast
08-22-2011, 10:50 PM
I use the SmallHD Li-ion rechargeable batteries... they last for 4-5 hours and I have 2... They are lightweight and work like a charm, plus there's a mounting plate to keep the dp6 slim

I have the exact same setup. It is the only way to go!

morgan_moore
08-22-2011, 11:19 PM
It is the only way to go! ..unless

-you need to keep the mass back on your rig
-you want to power the camera too
-you need to power a remote focus or camera top light
-want an industry standard supply so if you have a problem you can probably borrow hire spare batts
-want to run Led panels off the same battery system\
-have one charger for everything

In that case V lock or another 'industry system' is the only way to go

S

bkmvincent
08-23-2011, 03:40 PM
Gold or v-mount would be preferable but I don't have money to spend on that option right now. I might pick up some generic LP-E6 batteries for now to hold me over until I can afford that option.

thxdave
08-23-2011, 05:25 PM
..unless

-want an industry standard supply so if you have a problem you can probably borrow hire spare batts

S

Oh sure.....get all "proof-y fact-y" on us!! :happy:

DC EX1
08-23-2011, 07:07 PM
..unless

S

Go Li-ion unless....

You want to go broke.

morgan_moore
08-23-2011, 10:54 PM
I dont know what you mean

----

Going broke - Ive spent a lot of money on multiple 5d batts, 4 or 6 smallHD DP1 batts, billions of recharchables for my AA batt steadicam pilot

That was 'pre V'

I can tell you that Vlock is cheaper in the long run

Not to mention extreme batt life which is smooth on set

Ansd my Vlocks have level checkers built in

a small thing - but it makes a real difference when prepping for the day compared to checking multiple systems where you need to fire up the host device to check the levels

My old DP1 batts used to just die mid shot too - no warning

S

bkmvincent
08-24-2011, 10:59 AM

----

Going broke - Ive spent a lot of money on multiple 5d batts, 4 or 6 smallHD DP1 batts, billions of recharchables for my AA batt steadicam pilot

That was 'pre V'

a small thing - but it makes a real difference when prepping for the day compared to checking multiple systems where you need to fire up the host device to check the levels

S

Agree with you on all of these points. I will probably invest in a gold mount in the future, but like I said previously I might pick up some generic canon batts for the time being until I can drop the money on AB.

It's certainly worth the money in the long run, and much less of a headache.

Ifocus
08-24-2011, 11:02 AM
I've been hearing a lot about the small hd company. are their monitors easy to focus on using the dslrs?

bkmvincent
08-24-2011, 02:30 PM
I've been hearing a lot about the small hd company. are their monitors easy to focus on using the dslrs?

I can't vouch for a DSLR but I can tell you this: the DP6 is very well built and a high-quality IPS display. Very sharp and accurate color.

cuervo
08-24-2011, 03:32 PM
My DP6 runs with a D-Tap cable and a standard 7-18v input range on the monitor itself . So I can power the DP6 from my rail mounted AB Dionics. Very convenient and I don't have to add the weight of any more batteries.

TimurCivan
08-24-2011, 03:52 PM
Use Ptap and switronics batteries.

Runs my F3, Kipro, and Both small HD monitors for 2.5 hours.

DC EX1
08-24-2011, 11:48 PM

----

That was 'pre V'

S

Let me restate... it really depends on what you're using the dp6 for... if 7d/5dmkii or fs100/af100 etc in a light run an gun or just plain old handheld, IMHO it's easier to have the Li-Ion batts, small light and do the job... Vlock and a full bore rig isn't always required or needed... sometimes the director/producer will hold the dp6 and my camera will be in another location... depends on your use, for me li-ion has been dandy, and they recharge quick and cost like 80 bucks each which will power them for life.

morgan_moore
08-25-2011, 01:52 AM
sure - each solution has its place

As well as vlock I have an adapter that can take the same (fitting of) batt as the FS100 uses to power the DP6

The adapter does not go on the monitor

.. Im not sure where it goes yet!

S

nyvz
08-25-2011, 07:22 AM
Personally I think V-lock can be wasted on the FS100 in cases unless it is needed for powering more than just the camera and monitor. I have a $50 battery in my FS100 that lasts a full 12hr day with no worries, so why would I want to put a $500 2+lb battery system on that doubles the size and weight of my rig?

When I need to power accessories, I've just been using ebay batteries with good results so far. the 45Wh $30 batteries with level indicators are good for velcroing to the back of the monitor for ~4hrs of life, and the 120Wh $40 batteries are nice for powering all your accessories all day on a budget. Only caveat is I'd buy a separate 1A charger for $10 since the 350ma charger included with all these batteries takes forever.

nyvz
08-25-2011, 11:35 PM
I can't vouch for a DSLR but I can tell you this: the DP6 is very well built and a high-quality IPS display. Very sharp and accurate color.

Used a couple DP6s on 7Ds today and it had some serious fixed pattern dithering artifacts. Never seen anything like this on the TVlogic 5.6" with the same panel (clearly not the same image processing) or any other modern 6bit panel display (they all have dithering, but usually you cant see it). Also it took quite a while to adjust modes when going in and out of the menu on the 7D. Seemed reasonably well built and sharp, but I'd definitely take TVlogic over it any day.

After using the DP1 (horrible shadow banding issues) extensively and now the DP6, it seems clear that smallhd knows how to make a solid chassis and market very well to indie filmmakers with strong feature lists, but I'm not sure I'd trust their image processing components.