PDA

View Full Version : Newbie ready to purchase Sony NEX-FS100 - Need answers

Alexpho
08-21-2011, 06:28 AM
Hello guys. First time post on this forum. It has been weighing on my mind for the past few months. I've done a lot of research, reading, comparisons, and have decided to go ahead with buying the NEX-FS100. With my brother's upcoming wedding and a trip to Asia, I plan on buying this unit from B&H Photo in two weeks.

First off, I am NO PROFESSIONAL and will not make a dime off this, strictly as a hobby. I am still an amateur that just loves videography and the technology behind it ( you know, the type of dad that films his kids all day at a Disney park ). I am coming off a consumer base camera, the Canon HFS-100. The camera has been good to me. I have been filming my trips to Laos and posting them on Youtube. That is what I love to do.

I want this Sony because it is a serious step up from what the Canon is limited in doing. The interchangeable lens, dof effect, huge sensor, zoom, modular design, and low light capabilities are what I am seeking. Basically everything the Canon is lacking. I am extremely obsessive when it comes to obtaining the highest video/picture resolution. My 1st choice was to hold off for the new Canon DLSR 5D Mark III, but the release date is sometime next year. Buying a $6,000 camera might not make sense, but I'll sure be above the curve.

Anyway, here are my questions. Yes, even I know they are rather newbiest and stupid, but please bare with them.

1- Can the Nex FS100 take " still " pictures with a button like common duel role camcorders? Or is it strictly video and stills are extracted from video in editing? If so, what is the image size?
2- In comparison to " the " full frame sensor, the Sony's S35 sensor is very very very close to a full frame I'm guessing. Right?
3- I just have a standard tripod, do i need a separate base to mount the FS100 on the tripod?
4 -The ONLY difference with the FS-100U and FS100UK is with/without lens? (All accessories are included for both models)
5- Will the US model be able to simply recharge on other power voltages? ( Asia is like 220 V )
6- If I decide to go with the Sony A mount family of lenses, are they 100% compatible like the E mount lenses ( camera communicates with lens, auto focus, aperture )?
7- Will the FS100 record/capture 1080p video at 60P with a 28 MBS FULLTIME? or is it strictly during cranking?

Any commnents would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

Alex

eheath
08-21-2011, 07:31 AM
It sounds like you just need to save 3500 and buy a 7D, thats just my opinion though. You don't need to spend 5-6000 dollars on an fs100, if its not your job and just a hobbie, a 7D will work great then you can take pictures and such too and have the whole selection of canon lenses to your disposal.

bimdas
08-21-2011, 08:32 AM
An fs100 is way overkill for a hobby. For something to take video of my holidays or my kids, I'd go with something small like a 600d or gh2. Even with a 7D when I took it to vietnam, I felt it was too bulky and kept it in my bag most of the time.

dop16mm
08-21-2011, 09:21 AM
wait a couple of days and see if a nex-vg20 announcement, release date, comes through. It may be everything you need.

cuervo
08-21-2011, 09:40 AM
I agree. Get your hands on a VG10. or wait for a VG-20. It will do everything you want to do.

wait a couple of days and see if a nex-vg20 announcement, release date, comes through. It may be everything you need.

alaskacameradude
08-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Wow, I'd NEVER drop that kind of money on a camera if it was my hobby. I did it to make money, cause video production is my job. If you've got enough to spend on a FS-100 as a hobby, you are doing pretty good for yourself :-) I'd think it is WAY overkill for a hobby camera, but if you've got the money and want to do it, go for it, it's a sweet camera.

Alexpho
08-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Alright Alright, I'll just go ahead get a Droid X cell phone to capture my videos. LOL, Just kidding. Listen, I am truly grateful for all wonderful advice. I am not rich but certainly not crazy either. Its gonna hurt the budget temporary, but I'll be OK. It goes to show how I really want to commit to this hobby. I am also an avid user of Cinema 4D and Adobe After Effects. Having the right camera will complete the whole inventory. Lets just also say I truly want to have the best tools to capture my brother's wedding and my trip to Asia. Hey, I ask for advice, and I got them.

Though it did cross my mind, a 5D and 7D would be a good viable solution and its at a reasonable price now. Its just me, the fact that the 5D and 7D are both a couple years old will irk me.

You guys are right in stating that the FS100 would be overkill. Big news that I was not aware of was these new Sony releases. Wow. Perhaps my solution lies with a A77 , NEX-7, or VG-20. Something mid-range between $2,000 to $3,000 range is what I truly need ( perhaps something like a rumored Panasonic GH3 ).

I'll wait for the Sony announcement this week and go from there.

Thank you so much.

cuervo
08-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Alright Alright, I'll just go ahead get a Droid X cell phone to capture my videos. LOL, Just kidding. Listen, I am truly grateful for all wonderful advice. I am not rich but certainly not crazy either. Its gonna hurt the budget temporary, but I'll be OK. It goes to show how I really want to commit to this hobby. I am also an avid user of Cinema 4D and Adobe After Effects. Having the right camera will complete the whole inventory. Lets just also say I truly want to have the best tools to capture my brother's wedding and my trip to Asia. Hey, I ask for advice, and I got them.

Though it did cross my mind, a 5D and 7D would be a good viable solution and its at a reasonable price now. Its just me, the fact that the 5D and 7D are both a couple years old will irk me.

You guys are right in stating that the FS100 would be overkill. Big news that I was not aware of was these new Sony releases. Wow. Perhaps my solution lies with a A77 , NEX-7, or VG-20. Something mid-range between $2,000 to $3,000 range is what I truly need ( perhaps something like a rumored Panasonic GH3 ).

I'll wait for the Sony announcement this week and go from there.

Thank you so much.

I really don't intend to beat this horse, but, I thought I'd share some of my personal perspective. I, currently have an EX1, an FS100, and a VG-10. Each serves its own purpose for me. My opinion is that the EX1 and FS100 are not hand holdable run and gun cameras. There are plenty of people who do that and will argue with me. But, when I'm headed out the door to shoot an event where I won't have time to set up, or when I'm working alone and have to follow the subject across the out of doors, my VG-10 is the camera kit I grab when I run out the door. The EX1 and FS100, while both very capable cameras, with a great deal of flexibility, they pretty much demand to be tripod mounted, or mounted in a very cumbersome stabilizing rig. The VG10 is small, inconspicuous, and has this wonderful ability to use some wonderful lenses. It doesn't have the adjustability of one of the other cameras, but, it has never let me down when I need to shoot HD video with a minimum of time to prepare.

Quite truthfully, there are action shots I would have missed while trying to set up the EX1 or FS100.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Phil1076
08-22-2011, 10:05 AM
Echoing what others have said, the FS100 is overkill. I'd say wait until August 24th (2 days). Nikon is making an announcement in the Netherlands and people are speculating that one of them will be a new DSLR with emphasis on video production. You'll get the best of both worlds and it's sure to destroy the 5D or 7D in video, plus serve as an excellent still camera.

The ergonomics of the FS100 do not lend themselves to run and gun shooting...just wait to see what happens on Wednesday.

Postmaster
08-22-2011, 01:24 PM
1- Can the Nex FS100 take " still " pictures with a button like common duel role camcorders? Or is it strictly video and stills are extracted from video in editing? If so, what is the image size?
2- In comparison to " the " full frame sensor, the Sony's S35 sensor is very very very close to a full frame I'm guessing. Right?
3- I just have a standard tripod, do i need a separate base to mount the FS100 on the tripod?
4 -The ONLY difference with the FS-100U and FS100UK is with/without lens? (All accessories are included for both models)
5- Will the US model be able to simply recharge on other power voltages? ( Asia is like 220 V )
6- If I decide to go with the Sony A mount family of lenses, are they 100% compatible like the E mount lenses ( camera communicates with lens, auto focus, aperture )?
7- Will the FS100 record/capture 1080p video at 60P with a 28 MBS FULLTIME? or is it strictly during cranking?

Alex

O.K. for the sake of it:

1. no
2. not exactly - google a comparison chart
3. you want a good fluid head, that means sticks with a 70 or better 100 mm bowl
4. yap
5. yap
5. nay - only the kit lens speaks the same dialect in the moment.
7. yap

Frank

jdv
08-22-2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks Frank - I too had some of those questions.

Alexpho
08-22-2011, 02:21 PM
O.K. for the sake of it:1. no2. not exactly - google a comparison chart3. you want a good fluid head, that means sticks with a 70 or better 100 mm bowl4. yap5. yap5. nay - only the kit lens speaks the same dialect in the moment. 7. yapFrank Frank, Bravo and thank you kindly for answering my questions. This and the other valuable suggestions from everyone else will help me make a more reasonable decision. Take care

Postmaster
08-22-2011, 02:46 PM
Talking about crop factor:

http://vimeo.com/27925686

olindacat
08-22-2011, 06:47 PM
I really don't intend to beat this horse, but, I thought I'd share some of my personal perspective. I, currently have an EX1, an FS100, and a VG-10. Each serves its own purpose for me. My opinion is that the EX1 and FS100 are not hand holdable run and gun cameras. There are plenty of people who do that and will argue with me. But, when I'm headed out the door to shoot an event where I won't have time to set up, or when I'm working alone and have to follow the subject across the out of doors, my VG-10 is the camera kit I grab when I run out the door. The EX1 and FS100, while both very capable cameras, with a great deal of flexibility, they pretty much demand to be tripod mounted, or mounted in a very cumbersome stabilizing rig. The VG10 is small, inconspicuous, and has this wonderful ability to use some wonderful lenses. It doesn't have the adjustability of one of the other cameras, but, it has never let me down when I need to shoot HD video with a minimum of time to prepare.

Quite truthfully, there are action shots I would have missed while trying to set up the EX1 or FS100.

I hope this is of some help to you.
+1

Kraut69
08-22-2011, 08:05 PM
The gentleman seems to want a great image. I used to be thrilled picking up the CAnon DSLR's (T2i, 60D), but now that i have the FS100, the thrill is gone with the DSLR's, they are now serving a more utilitarian role, filling the gaps. Of course the DSLRS are still great photography wise.

LiamR
08-22-2011, 08:21 PM
The gentleman seems to want a great image. I used to be thrilled picking up the CAnon DSLR's (T2i, 60D), but now that i have the FS100, the thrill is gone with the DSLR's, they are now serving a more utilitarian role, filling the gaps. Of course the DSLRS are still great photography wise.

I feel the exact same way, I have a GH2 which are well and truly known for there amazing picture, but after getting the FS100, I instinctively pick it up first and I see a massive different in the picture quality between the two, there is so much more manipulation options with the FS.

Alexpho
08-23-2011, 06:06 AM
Exactly. I believe the FS100 is a technology wonder. I love tech stuff ( especially the underdog outperforming another product many times more its cost ). Though this is an extreme example, I truly want a good camera with the best available capibilties. For example, I have in the past even contacted my local TV stations and complained about their field cameras. What's the purpose of broadcasting in HD when your videos from the old field cameras are are being up-converted to 1080i. Watching it on an hd big screen makes it look like crap. Lol. Can you imagine me as a customer and someone is trying to sell me a wedding video package?

legrevedotcom
08-23-2011, 06:51 AM
Talking about crop factor:

http://vimeo.com/27925686

Exactly.... and that's why even though an 18-200 IS an 18-200... it really isnt.

alaskacameradude
08-23-2011, 08:27 AM
Exactly.... and that's why even though an 18-200 IS an 18-200... it really isnt.

It is, it just has a different angle of view (from a full frame still camera to shoot video). If you are not a still photographer and have not used a full frame still camera to shoot
video, it will cause you exactly 0 problems.....like say if you've shot 35mm film before perhaps?

Dermot
08-23-2011, 09:02 AM
I was explaining this to my GF, or trying to... she's reading a book about her Nikon D40, and asked me about DX -vs- full sensor, i told her it's all in my brain and instinctive after years of shooting stills, 35mm & 16mm, i just know what lens to reach for on a given camera for a portrait

;-)

d