PDA

View Full Version : Fake terrorist bomb.......

Doc Bernard
08-20-2011, 10:35 PM
So I got hired for a film as the armorer, and was asked if I could come up with a fake bomb.......

My result:

drapeama
08-21-2011, 01:20 AM
Nice job, it looks as real as one could be. It doesn't look like a toy or fake at all.

greymog
08-21-2011, 02:43 AM
Sweet... yeah it looks nice. More wires? (not that I would know) Bravo Doc. It looks cool.

Tom Shortridge
08-21-2011, 07:36 AM
Like it - is there any way to replace the spiral red cord with something a little straighter? Looks kinda like a toy phone cord right now. It's the only thing that pulls me out of the illusion.

Of course, the best way to check and see if it really looks authentic would be to take it with you on a flight somewhere and see what airport security thinks. Of course, if you've done your job, then you're probably gonna be locked away for the duration of the shoot, so it would kinda defeat the purpose...

clang
08-21-2011, 11:26 PM
Yeah, I too don't love the spiral red cord, not quite sure why. Maybe see how it looks with non-curly wire, or even a multistrand cable? Other than that, I like it lots.

Although if you want a really classic bomb, it needs a big digital counter that magically stops at 0:03 just as the hero defuses it... :)

dop16mm
08-22-2011, 06:36 AM
Not russian plastique, you need red tubes that say t-n-t on it, and a spring wound alarm clock.

Postmaster
08-22-2011, 06:52 AM

Like that?

Nice job Doc, but yeah, that spiral cable....

How about a blue and a red straight cable?
Itīs kind of classic ya know that line

"O.K. cut the blue one...."

maranfilms
08-22-2011, 07:08 AM
I knew this was going to be bad ass when I saw the thread title, as always sweet job Doc.

Brickhouse Media
08-29-2011, 08:33 AM
I like the spiral. I don't think a bomber would waste time on the feng shui and use whatever he or she had to use.

Doc Bernard
08-29-2011, 08:58 PM
The director freaked........loved it.

BTW, am I weird that I absolutely loved building this? This was absolute fun for me. "Hi, I'm Doc, and I have a problem.....I like to build fake destructive devices"

Postmaster
08-29-2011, 11:41 PM
Let me tell you one secret: you are not alone Doc - there are others out there, with the same feelings.

Frank

Sad Max
08-30-2011, 02:57 PM

"O.K. cut the blue one...."

"Cut the blue ground wire with the white stripe, not, I repeat not the black lead wire with the yellow stripe..."

analog_addict
08-30-2011, 04:44 PM
Looks great. Did you model this off photos of a real bomb or just your imagination?

Sad Max
08-30-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm betting Doc modeled it off the real bombs he's imagining...

Doc Bernard
08-30-2011, 09:06 PM
A little from column A, a little from column B. LOL!

I have a fair working knowledge of demo (with a little hands-on).......The hardest thing was finding the lettering/wording for the fake Russian semtex wrapper. BTW, it weighs about the same as a real one too........

I had to use a little improvisation for some of the parts....... Obviously couldn't use the real thing, so a trip to Lowes and Michaels was in order. Got everything I needed between the two stores. The "detonator" was a epiphany, remembering something I had to work on before at the house.

Let's just say, if the final assembly had been filmed.......not too many people would say "ahhh... so fake!" All told, I think I spent 50 bucks?

With what I learned on this.......I think I am going to make some fake C4, TNT, Comp A/B........... Hmmm, just mentioning those explosives.........I think I just set off major alarm bells in some dark basement at Fts. Belvoir and Meade.......... Guys in black, they are fake movie props.

Sad Max
08-31-2011, 12:09 PM
Be sure to get that greasy sheen on the wrappers right. Can't tell you how irritating it is, to see on-screen C-4, PE4, T4 or Semtex without the greasy sheen.