PDA

View Full Version : Just Received my FS100,

derrick
08-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Wanted to see how it performed with a cheap lens, shot with the canon 18-55 EF Lens,
Can't wait to get back to Miami to see how it really performs in the nightlife and beach Setting with proper PL lenses and filters,,

http://vimeo.com/27841481

jetswing
08-17-2011, 08:34 PM
Congrats on your new toy.

Test footage -- it's way over-exposed. You probably shouldn't had to use any gain.

eheath
08-17-2011, 08:39 PM
Yeah. you might wanna pull up that beautiful histogram to dial in your exposure, the LCD is a little dark.

derrick
08-17-2011, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the advise Eheath

cheezweezl
08-18-2011, 12:47 AM
Don't be afraid to shoot dark. Save your highlights. The underexposed areas can be lifted in post with minimal increase in noise.

jdv
08-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Yeah. you might wanna pull up that beautiful histogram to dial in your exposure, the LCD is a little dark.

Hadn't heard this... any way to dial in the LCD?

eheath
08-18-2011, 02:03 PM
Hadn't heard this... any way to dial in the LCD?

nah, you can put it on "bright" and its close, but you should never judge exposure from your LCD anyway you should always use your histogram

derrick
08-18-2011, 06:02 PM
Yep Dialed up the Lcd, Helps me see details better, Just shot a clip using the Picture Profie setting created by Andy with abelcine, (JR45CINE) simulating the setting with the Panasonic Varicam, I love the colors. Shot with the Canon 50mm f1.2L series lens and the H&Y Fader ND Filter
will post video up once it's uploads to vimeo....

http://vimeo.com/27887885

derrick
08-18-2011, 06:15 PM
Love your video of the skiing,, amazing work!!!

jdv
08-18-2011, 10:24 PM
nah, you can put it on "bright" and its close, but you should never judge exposure from your LCD anyway you should always use your histogram

I'm shooting with a T2i right now as I save my pennies for the FS100! So it's pretty much viewfinder or nothing....

jetswing
08-18-2011, 10:39 PM
I'm shooting with a T2i right now as I save my pennies for the FS100! So it's pretty much viewfinder or nothing....
LCD on Canon DSLRs are much more accurate, especially the color rendition. I rarely even use the LCD on FS100.

eheath
08-19-2011, 01:22 AM

you could at least get magic lantern and have zebras

LiamR
08-19-2011, 02:54 AM
LCD on Canon DSLRs are much more accurate, especially the color rendition. I rarely even use the LCD on FS100.

I would definitely have to disagree with that. Also derrick I don't know what you're doing with your camera but that footage does not look like fs100 footage, sorry to say it, but with a bit of tweaking I think you could make it look good.

jdv
08-19-2011, 02:17 PM
I have ML - but I find that the LCD is actually pretty darn close (and strangely enough, is better then the LCD on the Mark II/7D). Zebras have always annoyed the hell out of me (and sometimes have burned me). Besides, I like to shoot Roger Corman fast....

Anyone else care to comment on the LCD? I hadn't planned on budgeting for an EVF/out board monitor, but seems like I better do so.

nyvz
08-19-2011, 08:29 PM
I would definitely have to disagree with that. Also derrick I don't know what you're doing with your camera but that footage does not look like fs100 footage, sorry to say it, but with a bit of tweaking I think you could make it look good.

Yeah that footage looks pretty crazy, looks like about half the latitude I'm used to using my custom picture profile based on cinematone1. That is some high contrast/saturation and clippy highlights.

I've generally found the onboard LCD to be fairly accurate, about as accurate as any video camera LCD, but it may crush blacks a little, which you can tell a bit from turning on colorbars.

Chris Johnston
08-20-2011, 08:33 AM
Don't be afraid to shoot dark. Save your highlights. The underexposed areas can be lifted in post with minimal increase in noise.

Can you explain how you do this? lifting the the underexposed without blowing the highs. (sorry for the nubie question) Is it done with something like a fast color corrector and bumping the input/out levels?
I'm using PPro cs5.

derrick
08-20-2011, 09:10 AM
I would definitely have to disagree with that. Also derrick I don't know what you're doing with your camera but that footage does not look like fs100 footage, sorry to say it, but with a bit of tweaking I think you could make it look good. I agree LiamR, I had just taken it out of the box like 30 mins before that shoot hadn't had time to tweak it, but I'm getting the camera's setting almost to where I like it, and will upload a better Image later,,