PDA

View Full Version : FS100 into a MacBookPro for live shooting?

shortnstout
08-17-2011, 06:57 PM
Hi all,
I'm on the verge of buying an FS100. I do some events where I need to do live cutting (in Wirecast). Wirecast will not recognize my HVX200 if I set it to HD, so am currently limited to SD (I guess because firewire can't carry an HD signal, and firewire is the only way I can figure to get my HVX into my MBP). Thing is I don't even see a firewire port at all on the FS100 so I'm not even sure I would be able to do any live shooting with this camera. It has HDMI, but stupid Apple doesn't have HDMI for us MBP users and I can't see a way to get it in there. Is there some other way? Is there a USB port that might at least give me SD quality? Can you even set the FS100 to shoot in SD? Would something like a Matrox MXO2 be a solution? I'm considering buying a PC for the sole purpose of having an HDMI in for Wirecast (would probably be cheaper than trying to get it into my MBP).

please help! thanks :)

P.S. I am running an Intel MacBook Pro that is about 2 years old (4GB ram, firewire800, 2 USB 2.0, 2.53 GHz).

LiamR
08-17-2011, 07:09 PM
Can you even set the FS100 to shoot in SD?

Yes you can.

tanega
08-17-2011, 08:46 PM
yup no firewire, an no usb camera mode...only thing i have seen but it is expensive is this...http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/ultrastudio3d/

but ya need a new MBP with Thunderbolt...38619

or this:http://store.teradek.com/cube220-1ch-hdmi-encoder-built-in-2201.html

shortnstout
08-17-2011, 09:04 PM
thanks for the replies! total bummer though. Looks like there is no sensible way for me to shoot live with this camera, which means I can't rationalize purchasing one :( The main advantage of the camera over my DSLRs would be that I could do live broadcasting that looked way better than my HVX. Can't imagine paying $1k for the BMD and also upgrading my computer to a thunderbolt. Might make sense to just get a PC though, which is so hard for me to imagine doing. hmphhh

nyvz
08-17-2011, 09:42 PM
but ya need a new MBP with Thunderbolt...

Why get the $1k model that requires thunderbold if you dont have $1k or thunderbolt, get the USB3 Intensity Shuttle for $200 and a USB3 Expresscard for next to nothing. Probably has about the same HDMI capture capability.

shortnstout
08-17-2011, 09:52 PM
yes, the other option seems like it would be to get the Matrox MXO2 mini, but I don't have an ExpressCard slot on my MBP. Now I'm kicking myself for not getting the 17" that had the ExpressCard.

tanega
08-17-2011, 11:04 PM
I also found this can go HDMI to Firewire!:

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/376159.html

cheezweezl
08-18-2011, 12:42 AM
The hvx does output HD over FireWire. Maybe your software just doesn't get it...

morgan_moore
08-18-2011, 05:55 AM
I know nothing of computer streaming but I wonder if it worth considering the nice solid component out that the camera has - probably a lower data rate too?

S

shortnstout
08-18-2011, 12:54 PM
I also found this can go HDMI to Firewire!:

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/376159.html

Wow! I wonder if this would really work. Have you tried it? I know Wirecast has a plugin to allow HDV in. So I guess, at least HDV can be carried live over Firewire. Impressive if this box could take the fs100 footage and convert to HDV on the fly.

Morgan, if i were to use component I'd still need to get it into the computer with something like the Matrox, I believe.

Postmaster
08-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Yeah, I did that with the HVX over Firewire straight into the computer for years, but it was not HDV, it was DVCProHD, which is way better.
The HVX streames HDV over USB.

Frank

shortnstout
08-18-2011, 01:07 PM
Yeah, I did that with the HVX over Firewire straight into the computer for years, but it was not HDV, it was DVCProHD, which is way better.
The HVX streames HDV over USB.

Frank

Yes, I think Cheezweez must be right that the problem is that Wirecast just wont recognize DVCProHD. Confused because their tech support told me that Firewire was the issue and it just can't carry HD. I tried hooking my HVX up to the USB port but didn't get the computer to recognize it and stream HDV.

Postmaster
08-18-2011, 01:56 PM
Actually I never tried USB, so I guess Imm not much help here.

tanega
08-18-2011, 08:05 PM
I did some test with my ADC110 Canopus via Livestream Procaster http://www.livestream.com/platform/procaster with the composit cables.......worked pretty good.....I am
using a MacBookPro 17" No thunderbolt last years model....http://www.amazon.com/Canopus-770-10150-105-ADVC110-A-Converter/dp/tech-data/B000GJVE8M

Oh yeah we were using Clearwire 4g Network....

shortnstout
08-19-2011, 09:43 AM
So you were going FS100-->composite--->ADC100 Canopus--->firewire--->MBP?? And I imagine this can't give you HD, right? Definitely an interesting inexpensive option for now though. I'm hoping my system (Wirecast and MBP) could handle their HDV version but I'm kinda doubtful...hmm. Thanks for the help!

mandrean
08-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Why get the $1k model that requires thunderbold if you dont have $1k or thunderbolt, get the USB3 Intensity Shuttle for $200 and a USB3 Expresscard for next to nothing. Probably has about the same HDMI capture capability.That way gives you 4:2:2, not 4:4:4 as with the UltraStudio 3D. Not the same HDMI capture capability.

nyvz
08-19-2011, 01:46 PM
That way gives you 4:2:2, not 4:4:4 as with the UltraStudio 3D. Not the same HDMI capture capability.

For live web streaming? I highly doubt any web streaming applications can deliver beyond 4:2:0. Also, have you confirmed that the UltraStudio 3D captures 444/RGB over HDMI? In the case of most products, it seems like the 444 spec only refers to a 3g/duallink SDI recording capability.

444 HD seems like a pretty small concern if SD analog composite video is being considered...

tanega
08-19-2011, 02:17 PM
FS100-->composite--->ADC110 Canopus--->firewire--->MBP--->Livestream Procaster...

I also think it depends on your internet connection..t1 or t3 speed would be best to squeez hd sig through...How is your network set up???

mandrean
08-20-2011, 10:42 PM
For live web streaming? I highly doubt any web streaming applications can deliver beyond 4:2:0. Also, have you confirmed that the UltraStudio 3D captures 444/RGB over HDMI? In the case of most products, it seems like the 444 spec only refers to a 3g/duallink SDI recording capability.

444 HD seems like a pretty small concern if SD analog composite video is being considered...You said "Probably has about the same HDMI capture capability.", which it doesn't. I never mentioned web streaming, neither did you.

Regarding your other statement I'm not sure where you got your info from. Please provide a source when making such a bold statement about "most products." For example, Cinemartin clearly states on their website (http://www.cinemartin.com/) that it records 4:4:4 HDMI. So does Cinedeck (http://www.cinedeck.com/CinedeckEXTREME_SpecSheet/CinedeckEXTREME_SpecSheet_0511.pdf).

Also, have in mind that the UltraStudio 3D has HDMI 1.4 (just as the FS100), which means they both support about 7x the bandwidth of HD-SDI or about 3.5x the bandwidth of 3G-SDI or dual link HD-SDI but through a single HDMI cable.

nyvz
08-21-2011, 02:03 AM
You said "Probably has about the same HDMI capture capability.", which it doesn't. I never mentioned web streaming, neither did you.

Regarding your other statement I'm not sure where you got your info from. Please provide a source when making such a bold statement about "most products." For example, Cinemartin clearly states on their website (http://www.cinemartin.com/) that it records 4:4:4 HDMI. So does Cinedeck (http://www.cinedeck.com/CinedeckEXTREME_SpecSheet/CinedeckEXTREME_SpecSheet_0511.pdf).

Also, have in mind that the UltraStudio 3D has HDMI 1.4 (just as the FS100), which means they both support about 7x the bandwidth of HD-SDI or about 3.5x the bandwidth of 3G-SDI or dual link HD-SDI but through a single HDMI cable.

You may have not mentioned web streaming, but the original question posed in this thread was specifically about web streaming using Wirecast software, so I would hope most responses would consider that so as to avoid going far off topic. I was responding with that in mind.

I apologize about the generalization about products offering 4:4:4 HD-SDI, but what I intended was that I would think it best not to assume 4:4:4 dual/3g hd-sdi capture necessarily will support HDMI 4:4:4 modes. My generalization was intentionally vague, as many products do not directly address it in their specifications sheets. It is possible that many HD-SDI 4:4:4 recorders also support HDMI 4:4:4, but I certainly would not assume that to be true. Cinedeck and Cinemartin are both Windows computers, so it may be problematic to assume their features have any connection with the features of the external capture devices discussed in this thread.

In my limited knowledge, even the earliest versions of HDMI supported very high bandwidth (~5Gbps), and yet that rarely determines the capture modes that are supported by capture devices. Many HDMI capture devices do not support 1080p60 or 4:4:4/RGB, both of which have been part of the HDMI spec from the beginning as far as I know. It is always safest not to assume a particular capture mode will work just because the interface supports it.

shortnstout
08-21-2011, 08:02 PM
FS100-->composite--->ADC110 Canopus--->firewire--->MBP--->Livestream Procaster...

I also think it depends on your internet connection..t1 or t3 speed would be best to squeez hd sig through...How is your network set up???

Thanks! The network depends on the event. I record a number of events for startups around San Francisco and I'm looking to try and give them live streaming. But my PRIMARY concern is to record to disk (which Wirecast allows) with live cutting between PowerPoint and presenter to take the effort/time out the post work. So, the network is wireless but the quality depends- and the streaming isn't as essential as actually getting an HD signal into my computer for recording to disk. So are you able to get HD through the composite to the ADC100? That's only SD, right?

As far as the other postings go- thank you all- and correct, things like 4:4:4 are of no concern to me. I just want to take something in to my computer at least at 720p.
thanks!

tanega
08-22-2011, 12:25 PM
Thanks! The network depends on the event. I record a number of events for startups around San Francisco and I'm looking to try and give them live streaming. But my PRIMARY concern is to record to disk (which Wirecast allows) with live cutting between PowerPoint and presenter to take the effort/time out the post work. So, the network is wireless but the quality depends- and the streaming isn't as essential as actually getting an HD signal into my computer for recording to disk. So are you able to get HD through the composite to the ADC100? That's only SD, right?

As far as the other postings go- thank you all- and correct, things like 4:4:4 are of no concern to me. I just want to take something in to my computer at least at 720p.
thanks!

I hooked it up did a movie record with Quicktime...this is what i got. See photos....hope this helps...went in to menus and found only 480i is max on Composite output...3883738838