PDA

View Full Version : Matching the FS100 with EX1 and EX3

Jean-Philippe
08-17-2011, 09:41 AM
I have a multicam shoot next week. I'ts a pilote for an upcoming documentary serie. A big part of this shoot is a multi-person interview, a "table ronde" with an animator facing five participants. The budget for the pilot is somewhat on the low side, and we can't afford to use 3 identical cameras. So we will be shooting with my FS100, intercutting it with the EX1 and EX3 of the producer. So I will have to match the 3 cams, but I can't have access to the two EX before the shoot. Is there someone here who already tried to match theses cams and can give me some insight infos about what to do?

Thank you very much,

morgan_moore
08-17-2011, 02:56 PM
I think it will be easy

Kepp the EX cameras doing tight shots and the FS doing the loose stuff

use the kit lens on the FS

Jean-Philippe
08-18-2011, 06:54 AM
Thanks Sam. Of course I am aware of the difference in DOF between the cams, I think it will not be a problem, like you said.

Perhaps I was unclear, but I am more interested in some picture profiles tweeks to get them close color-wise...

morgan_moore
08-18-2011, 08:52 AM
My Ex1 is PP off, my FS has a minimally kneed PP

The EX1 did blow some highs in that config on the shoot I did this with - this may have been operator error

Colour wise we just auto'd off a big bit of white !

Looked fine

S

Dermot
08-18-2011, 09:31 AM
EX's with BBC white paper settings / cinegamma4
FS with orignal Ablecine look
all white ballanced
FS is a stop faster
Zeiss 16-35 on the FS
Stock zooms on the EX's
no prob's matching

Jean-Philippe
08-23-2011, 07:17 AM
Dermot: When you say "FS with orignal Ablecine look", are you referring to the AB_NORM profile that can be found here: http://blog.abelcine.com/2011/07/25/fs100-scene-files-from-abelcine/ ?!?

and by "EX's with BBC white paper settings / cinegamma4" are you referring to using settings for filmlook explained by Alan Roberts here: http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/whp/whp-pdf-files/WHP034_ADD30-rev1-Sony-PMW-EX1-and-EX3.pdf but changing the cinegamma to 4 ?

Dermot
08-23-2011, 07:51 AM
Jean-Philippe;

yes, that is excatly what i used for a series of short's a few weeks ago with good resualts.

My Ex's have been set to the BBC + Cinegamma4 for years now, currently my FS is set to AbleCine's "Technicolor" with saturation turned up to -3, no issues matching as long as the EX's have enough light to expose without turning on gain

Once gain is on the EX they are pretty difficult to match the FS, if not impossible due to noise!

Deliverable targets are a huge variable, we were targeting HD / YUV for everything we have been matching camera's on.

d

Jean-Philippe
08-23-2011, 09:16 AM
Thank you very much. Sorry to ask again, but to clarify, are you matching these cameras using AB_NORM or 5DM2_TEC on the FS100?

Dermot
08-23-2011, 09:43 AM
I have used both now, when i wrote the first time i had only used the "AB norm" at that point, and was testing the "AB tech", i have now use that on a talking head interview intercut with the EX's and did not have any issues matching, the FS is lower contrast with the AB tech settings, but not enough to cause problems matching

I have left AB norm in the camera menu, and will use that in future shoots that need to match the EX's, as i don't see any of the gains in the "AB tech" once matched to the EX.

Hope i'm making sense ;-)

They are close tho, (until gain gets turned on in the EX).

d