PDA

View Full Version : About to take the plunge

funkmusicinstitute
08-14-2011, 11:00 AM
And bite the FS100 bullet (assuming I can sell my HPX500 anyway; different beasts, I realize).
Planning on getting the kit lens and the 16mm. I see folks happy about the Heliopan nd, anyone know if this works w/ the kit lens?
Also have lots of Canon EF and L glass, wondering what adapter people have been happy with.
And also trying to find an adapter to use old lenses I used with a 1957 Canon VT deluxe camera:
canon 35mm 1.8
canon 50mm 1.8
steinheil munchen culminar 85mm 2.8
schneider-kreuznach tele-xenar 135mm 3.5

Will be doing run n gun, sit-down interviews, documentary type stuff. Low budget affairs.
Any suggestions greatly greatly appreciated!

legrevedotcom
08-14-2011, 11:29 AM
You won't be disappointed.
About the Heliopan, it works fine with the kit lens. I haven't noticed anything damaging about it. Be sure to buy it too big and then buy step rings if you are going to use canon EFs. That would allow you to use one filter for all your lenses. Of course if you're working on a busy set, I bet some would argue that it is a waste of time and that you should invest in a matte box instead.

I went ahead and bought two adapters for my cam: The Fotodiox and the Kipon. I tried the Kipon once and now it's on the local 2nd hand website. I know it has a numbered dial and all, but that build in aperture really don't fall into my taste. Too much fall off etc. The Fotodiox is fine in my opinion.

Tonight I was testing my gear setup for an upcoming short documentary. I tried the 18-200 kit lens against the canon 70-200 and I will definitely use the Canon... it looks brilliant!

Get extra batteries. Fortunately my Steadicam is modified to use NP-F batteries so I had extras lying around, but at a green screen shoot last monday I went through 3 batteries (F970) during the twelve hours. This was with the kit shotgun attached. Just FYI.

funkmusicinstitute
08-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Many thanks for the suggestions, legreve! Appreciate it.
Re: the Heliopan and the Fotodiox, I'm trying to get everything in one swoop from B&H, is there one in particular you recommend?
Actually, I don't think B&H carries Fotodiox products (according to their site), do you have a place you recommend for that?
I doubt I will be on a real set much.
Will definitely get extra batteries. Also, do you know approximately how much footage (timewise) you can fit onto a 32gb card at 1080/24p, by chance?
Also good news about the Canon 70-200, as I have that lens.
Thanks again!

Kraut69
08-14-2011, 12:12 PM
Legrevedotcom, do you have the Canon 24-70mm L lens, I have seen one person say it is not so brilliant, while they said the 70-200mm is.

alaskacameradude
08-14-2011, 01:36 PM
Many thanks for the suggestions, legreve! Appreciate it.
Re: the Heliopan and the Fotodiox, I'm trying to get everything in one swoop from B&H, is there one in particular you recommend?
Actually, I don't think B&H carries Fotodiox products (according to their site), do you have a place you recommend for that?
I doubt I will be on a real set much.
Will definitely get extra batteries. Also, do you know approximately how much footage (timewise) you can fit onto a 32gb card at 1080/24p, by chance?
Also good news about the Canon 70-200, as I have that lens.
Thanks again!You can fit 174 minutes of 1080 24p footage on a 32gb card.

eheath
08-14-2011, 08:41 PM
Honestly, if you're not going to be using any canon bodies, ditch the canon lenses. Nikon lenses are cheaper, better and way more practical.

legrevedotcom
08-14-2011, 10:52 PM
@Kraut.. good question, and funnily enough I have it, but didn't try it out yet. I think the reason is that the times I've been out wide, I haven't cared about shallow dof. I will try it though now that you asked. The problem with the 24-70, while a great lens, is that I don't think it's too sharp until you move out to around 4.5. I can imagine that if someone wanted to use it for shallow dof while shooting people they would be dissatisfied with it. So for those wide shots I'll settle for the 16 and the wide-angle adapter, though it's kinda annoying you can't filter the wide angle.

@eheath... I would agree, I still use the 5D for stills though. But if you're not Funk, I would take eheaths advice.

funkmusicinstitute
08-15-2011, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into some Nikon glass, but I still use the Canon lenses w/ my 5D for stills. Was hoping perhaps segue them onto the FS100, though now I've read
about all the necessary workarounds. Legreve, re: the Heliopans, did you get just one or a series of them for the kit lens?

allantab
08-15-2011, 08:06 AM
I have both nikon and canon lenses, and with the canon lenses, and a Kipon adapter, you'll need the Heliopan or another ND filter to control aperture. However I heard the Birger Canon EF adapter (electronic aperture control, $700 or higher) for the FS100 is already out at Rule camera in Boston.

Chris Johnston
08-15-2011, 08:22 AM
I have both nikon and canon lenses, and with the canon lenses, and a Kipon adapter, you'll need the Heliopan or another ND filter to control aperture. However I heard the Birger Canon EF adapter (electronic aperture control, $700 or higher) for the FS100 is already out at Rule camera in Boston.

???

legrevedotcom
08-15-2011, 08:42 AM
What? Would be nice with a confirmation on the Birger...

In regards to the Heliopan. I was in a pickle at the point of purchase... I litterally couldn't afford the step ring, so I had to buy the 67mm heliopan, but I'll be trying to sell that and instead get the 67>77 step ring and then buy the 77mm heliopan. All my current Canons are 77mm so that would be most sensible.
But like said, you'll either be stuck at 2.8 or troubled by the fact that you need to put the lens on a canon body every time you want to change the aperture.

mico
08-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Couldn't afford the step ring?

http://cgi.ebay.com/77mm-67mm-77-67mm-77-67-Step-Down-Ring-Adapter-/300525677100?pt=US_Filter_Rings_Holders&hash=item45f8b9ea2c#ht_2851wt_1398

mico
08-15-2011, 10:15 AM
Honestly, if you're not going to be using any canon bodies, ditch the canon lenses. Nikon lenses are cheaper, better and way more practical.

If the Birger comes out and works the Nikons will be at a major disadvantage. Wireless follow focus and aperture control will make steadicam and any focus pulling much easier even for solo shooters too as you will be able to mount the focus wheel anywhere its comfortable. If you're going Birger keep your Canon glass. Not to mention being ready for anything Canon brings out in the future.

Kraut69
08-15-2011, 10:28 AM
What's the estimated price for the Birger set up with wireless follow focus and aperture control?

allantab
08-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Here's Rule Camera (boston)'s facebook page with a picture of the Birger Canon EF - NEX E-mount adapter
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rule-Boston-Camera/46957103796

F (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rule-Boston-Camera/46957103796)or my canon, I use a kipon adapter, and a Lightcraft Fader ND to help with exposure. On the nikon side, Fotodiox, MTR, Voghtlander, and many others make adapters to the NEX mount that also control the aperture on the adapter itself..

rejdmast
08-15-2011, 10:53 AM

I just called them. They have a pre-production model on their showroom floor. They still do not know when it will be out but they are taking pre-orders.

eheath
08-15-2011, 12:03 PM
If the Birger comes out and works the Nikons will be at a major disadvantage. Wireless follow focus and aperture control will make steadicam and any focus pulling much easier even for solo shooters too as you will be able to mount the focus wheel anywhere its comfortable. If you're going Birger keep your Canon glass. Not to mention being ready for anything Canon brings out in the future.

I disagree, but to each his own.