PDA

View Full Version : Which Miller tripod should I get? Budget up to $2500.

Searcher
08-12-2011, 10:16 PM
I'm buying Miller because they're good and I like to buy local (I'm pretty sure they're made in Australia) and also there are lots of secondhand ones available locally.

I have a spanking brand new FS100. I plan to use it mostly with Nikkor and Zeiss prime glass so nothing too big. I have a SmallHD DP6 monitor. I may use FF at some point but I doubt I'll ever get a matte box. So a pretty typical set up, nothing too heavy. Narrative filmmaking with a little bit of documentary.

I may have the cash to buy a decent tripod but I don't have the experience to know what to get. But I do know tripods are a good investment and will outlive many a camera. Hopefully I will be worthy of my new tripod in a year or two.

Also the head fell off my manfrotto sticks a few weeks ago and it was only luck I had a hold of my GH2 at the time or it could have been the end of my Voigtlander .25 as well...

Thanks for any advice.

morgan_moore
08-13-2011, 01:17 AM
1) go to a shop and try some, plan some shots and do them including low high and very accurate - like getting a computer screen square in the frame

2) IMO avoid Solo sticks - a right pain to adjust the height .. but good out and about which is not what you have described

squig
08-13-2011, 03:37 AM
I had a DS5 and a DS10 head that needed refurbishing. I couldn't afford to fix both of them so I spoke to a guy at Miller HQ here in Sydney and he recommended the DS10 to handle the weight of my rig- 5D, mattebox, rails, follow focus, filters, z-finder, heavy vintage glass. The FS100 weighs 200 grams more than the 5D so the DS10 head should be a good choice if you don't have the coin for a compass head. I had the DS10 refurbished and I'm very happy with it. I have Manfrotto 542ART sticks (much faster to adjust than the solo legs) the solo legs do go a lot lower if that's important but they're a 2 man job with a heavy rig. Miller have video legs with a spreader as an option. Try before you buy a 2nd hand head, they loosen up a lot if they've been well used. You're looking at over $500 to refurbish one.

morgan_moore
08-13-2011, 04:27 AM
BTW Ive got an Arrow head and it is the nuts

S

Searcher
08-15-2011, 06:56 PM
Thanks to both of you for your thoughts. I know it's a newby question and there's no single answer but you both helped.

I have 90% decided on the following even though it's a little over what I wanted to spend. My only real question is whether the the 2kg minimum payload is a problem because my set up is quite minimal and at least to start with will only be in the 2.5kg range...

Solo: Solo DV 2 Stage 75mm Carbon Fibre Tripod (http://www.millertripods.com/product_details.html?camera_brand=&camera_model=&type=2&system=&application=&series=&id=178&back_url=%2Fproduct-type%2Ftripods)
+

Fluid Heads: Compass20 Fluid Head (1036) (http://www.millertripods.com/product_details.html?camera_brand=&camera_model=&type=1&system=&application=&series=&id=244&back_url=%2Fproduct-type%2Ffluid-heads)

Allan Black
08-17-2011, 12:50 AM
I've got the Compass 15 head on the CF Solo 2 stage sticks and couldn't be more satisfied.

Made 20 mins from me in Artarmon they were happy to give me the tour and demo the combo. Seems a lot of folk tighten the Solo screw locks too tight, they require about 1/2 turn. I was surprised to find the CF legs are not that much lighter than the aluminium version, but as Miller pointed out, the CF are more stable, less inclind to twist.

At the AF100 demo here, Panasonic used the 15 CF Solo combo, and as a much used Lemac rental, the drag positions were 'run in' more than my new one and mine is now catching up. Nice.

The 15 has 2x5 drag positions and the new Compass 12 has 2x3. Can't see any prices for the 12 yet but that might have suited me and saved a few bucks.

Cheers.

David W. Jones
08-17-2011, 08:12 AM
If it were my money and I was working with a limited budget, I would get a high quality used unit rather than a lesser new unit. I would also get something that would support any future cameras you might purchase. You will likely replace the FS100 in under 4 years, so it makes more sense to get a tripod/head that will last a lifetime, rather than replacing it every time you get a new camera.

Good Luck!

Dave

Searcher
08-17-2011, 05:17 PM
If it were my money and I was working with a limited budget, I would get a high quality used unit rather than a lesser new unit. I would also get something that would support any future cameras you might purchase. You will likely replace the FS100 in under 4 years, so it makes more sense to get a tripod/head that will last a lifetime, rather than replacing it every time you get a new camera.

Good Luck!

Dave

Thanks David. I ended up going with the Compass20 and Solo legs. I was thinking of going down the secondhand route but I am a relative newby and not the best judge of whether a secondhand unit is still in good condition. Also I'm in a bit of a rush.