PDA

View Full Version : Large SDI monitors under $2000?

davidwinters
08-12-2011, 07:18 PM
For FS100 shoots

I need two on-set monitors. Director monitor and a client monitor, 17" - 24" range with HD-SDI input. 720p or larger. Currently using two Dell 24" data displays via HDMI. Is there anything on the market which produces decent blacks and costs less than the 17" Panasonic?

I bought the TV-Logic 5.6" to convert HDMI to SDI on camera.

Current options:

1. Purchase two AJA HDMI > SDI converters - total approx $1100, continue to use Dell monitors (but the blacks are washed out).

2. Take the $5k hit and buy two Panasonic 1710W monitors? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/598792-REG/Panasonic_BT_LH1710_BT_LH1710W_17_Widescreen_HD_SD .html

Is there anything in between? Anyone using HDMI WiFi transmitters from camera? Are there any Small HD type companies making a sub $2,000 17" display?

Thanks

Duke M.
08-12-2011, 07:35 PM
I'll add this to the mix because its something I've long considered and don't have a real answer. When you do get your client monitor and director's monitor, do you splurge for the pro monitors that produce images that (while more accurate) will never show images the way the final users will see them?

Or do you get a consumer monitor that produces images off the signal that is more WYSIWYG for the consumer watching that signal?

In addition, why aren't you getting 21" and up monitors so the details can be seen, at least for studio work? The studio I work with the most provides a 32" HDTV for a client monitor for 1080p.

davidwinters
08-12-2011, 07:52 PM
Or do you get a consumer monitor that produces images off the signal that is more WYSIWYG for the consumer watching that signal?

I'm not a fan of the consumer level tv displays on set, as these displays typically have auto adjust settings. Example, we walk in a bounce card to lower contrast on the fill side. Next, the (consumer) monitor auto-corrects by dropping the mid tones, canceling out what we are doing. I've been in situations where we run in circles, as the client is placing their trust in auto-adjusting contrast vs focusing on a neutral image which will be consistent shot to shot and captured for post efficiency.

The issue I battle with my HDMI Dells is they look dramatically different based on what camera is feeding. They look really good with the Red One, awful washed out with the Varicam 3700 to AJA convertor.

mico
08-12-2011, 07:53 PM
Really pro monitors with true calibration. They're coming out with new models that are finally somewhat affordable for a pro monitor.

http://www.shopfsi.com/category_s/12.htm