PDA

View Full Version : best length of time for documentary??????

gstarza
05-02-2005, 11:42 AM
I'm working on my first documentary that is intended to be shown at photographer's exhibit. People who attend the show will be able to watch this documentary on a tv outside of the main exhibit area. While the the museum wants the piece no longer than twenty minutes, I am thinking of making is a little longer so that I can submit it to tv stations that might be interested. Therefore, what's the best length of time to make a documentary so that it's viable for airing? 15min, 30min, 1hr?

best,
jerry

Duct Tape Films
05-07-2005, 07:49 AM
I'm working on my first documentary that is intended to be shown at photographer's exhibit. People who attend the show will be able to watch this documentary on a tv outside of the main exhibit area. While the the museum wants the piece no longer than twenty minutes, I am thinking of making is a little longer so that I can submit it to tv stations that might be interested. Therefore, what's the best length of time to make a documentary so that it's viable for airing? 15min, 30min, 1hr?

best,
jerry

I think the lengths for say, PBS docs, are 54 minutes & 27 minutes, if I remember correctly....

galt
05-07-2005, 08:16 AM
Nothing says you can't have multiple versions. And it seems the trend is to more oddball lengths anyway. At 20 minutes they can mix 3 into a one hour show. And some networks have as much as 9-10 minutes of commercials per half hour anyway. Worst thing is if you make it too long for the material.