PDA

View Full Version : ND and Coatings

bkmvincent
08-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Now that the camera's been around for a little while, I'm wondering what people's thoughts are using ND filters with the FS100. There's a lot of options out there, and I've found that reflections are easily showing up on my cheaper UV filters. Here's a few questions I have:

1) Are the coatings of the more expensive NDs worth the extra money? Will they reduce these reflections enough for them not to be an issue?
2) How many stops will it take to shoot around f/2.8-3.5 ?
3) Are you stacking your filters or using the higher amounts on single filters (obviously excluding variND users)
4) Is a variable ND filter a better investment?

I want to be able to shoot outside without having to up my shutter speed to something ridiculous. I don't have the need to shoot at 1.4 because frankly I think that's too shallow for most applications, particularly outside. I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts.

speedracerlo
08-09-2011, 09:27 PM
Reflections from ND filters are problems for even the expensive types. Anti-reflective coating may reduce some of the ghosting, but it won't ever completely go away.
Which ND are you using btw?

eheath
08-10-2011, 01:18 AM
I have the Light Craft Workshop Fader ND mkII and so far i like it. There is a very minor color shift and a very very very small change in sharpness, but not enough to notice on the internet, i could barely notice on my 27" screen. The heliopan(sp) fader ND is suppose to be perfect, no sharpness lost and no color shift, but its also 300 dollars more than the LCW, so i went for the LCW since im on a budget.

bkmvincent
08-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Reflections from ND filters are problems for even the expensive types. Anti-reflective coating may reduce some of the ghosting, but it won't ever completely go away.
Which ND are you using btw?

I don't have ND yet. I've been doing research on which ones I should invest in, however. The filters I was referring to are my UV and polarizing filters that are causing reflections

I have the Light Craft Workshop Fader ND mkII and so far i like it. There is a very minor color shift and a very very very small change in sharpness, but not enough to notice on the internet, i could barely notice on my 27" screen. The heliopan(sp) fader ND is suppose to be perfect, no sharpness lost and no color shift, but its also 300 dollars more than the LCW, so i went for the LCW since im on a budget.

Interesting, I'll have to check that one out. Thanks for the recommendation!