PDA

View Full Version : New Music Video shot on FS100

cheezweezl
08-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Here's a music video I DP'd and edited. This is the second video I have shot with this director for the same artist. The last video we did was shot on the RED MX. For this one, I convinced them to shoot on the FS100 instead. You'll see a very similar look to the two videos. This director likes a lot of fog and loves lens flares and lots of party gels.

At the end of the FS100 video, there is a night time exterior. We had no time to light this so I cranked the camera to 24db and went for it. The only light is coming from the windows of the building to the left. It was actually very dark, much darker than what appears in the video.

"Blown Away" - Shot on FS100

http://vimeo.com/27506395

"Be My Girlfriend" - Shot on RED MX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfwxYggiB_M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RfwxYggiB_M

mrk177
08-09-2011, 04:00 PM
Wow. Amazing job... Keep up the good work!

maranfilms
08-09-2011, 04:12 PM
Maybe im missing something, but the fs100 looks just as good for web delivery. What suprises me is that somebody actually invested money into the artist (or lack there of) I thought he was a total hack ripoff. Goes to show how little about r&b I actually know. As far as the work goes, it's very good, looks as good as music vids I see on Mtv, or used to see on Mtv, back when they played music videos. lol

Did the director like the final product, was he able to see any difference in quality between the sony and red?

cheezweezl
08-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Thanks. The director is very happy with the new video. I think he still has RED fever, mainly due to the size of the camera. The artist wouldn't know what I was talking about if I said RED. I agree with you as far as the two cameras looking comparable for web delivery. Even on a 42" screen, they are very much the same. I'm not going to be delusional and say that the FS100 is as good as the RED. Clearly, the dynamic range is better and shooting RAW leaves more post options. However, for most purposes, if carefully shot, the FS100 stands on it's own. Plus the post is sooooo much easier.

bkmvincent
08-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Great job, man. As much as I hated the song, I thought the work you did was fantastic. Great work controlling the highlights with all that backlighting

Mestizo Devon
08-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Good job!!!
The song is basic
The footage is Great!

Mark Crabtree
08-09-2011, 06:30 PM
I'm logged in but I see no links to the videos.

LiamR
08-09-2011, 06:40 PM
How about now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RfwxYggiB_M

??

Nice video's mate, how come the vimeo one isn't HD? would really like to watch it in high def :)

PaPa
08-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Nice videos. Music sucks. I'm sick of robot auto-tuned voices. Where the hell did all of the talent go?

cheezweezl
08-09-2011, 08:44 PM
Will replace the vid with the HD version tonight.

So I'm getting that you guys don't like the music. Lol. That makes two of us!!

cheezweezl
08-10-2011, 01:36 AM
HD version is up...

Bassman2003
08-10-2011, 07:50 AM
Thanks for posting. I enjoyed the videos. It is an interesting comparison between the two cameras. Even with the RED only being in the small window I liked its image more. It is almost like the FS-100 is too detailed or sharp. Although this also has to do with in-camera processing.

zeke
08-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Nice videos. Music sucks. I'm sick of robot auto-tuned voices. Where the hell did all of the talent go?

+1, no respect for "singers" who use autotune. Great visuals though. I just turned off the audio so I wouldn't puke.
If I see a Nicki Minaj video I change the channel or mute the TV.

PaPa
08-10-2011, 12:08 PM
Auto tune is a tool, it should be used sparingly for minor adjustments, but it seems to have become an industry standard these days.. Fuck it. I'm going to go and listen to some pearl jam :P

tieuellegacy
08-10-2011, 12:29 PM
I like the vid. There are subtle colors that are nice in the interior. Lighting is good. Clear shots. Love the final scene also.
Singer has a bit of the 80's and current r&b feel. Catchy yet simple hook. I could hear it on the radio. Really I didn't notice a lot of the autotunes. Tieuel Legacy! Motion

cheezweezl
08-10-2011, 12:30 PM
poo poo it. I'm going to go and listen to some pearl jam :P

lol. They had awesome videos, btw.

Razz16mm
08-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Nice work. I must say I like the way the FS100 holds tonality and detail into the deep shadows. Much better than the AF100 in this respect.

cheezweezl
08-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Agreed. I shot this on the dark side to preserve detail in the highlights. So midtones and shadows were lifted quite a bit. The footage holds up well and tons of detail just waiting to pop out.

Wendt
08-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Agreed. I shot this on the dark side to preserve detail in the highlights. So midtones and shadows were lifted quite a bit. The footage holds up well and tons of detail just waiting to pop out.

Could you post some still frames from the ungraded fotage where you were portecting the highlights/lights and their coresponding corrected/lifted still fames. Just trying to get a visual on how you shot this and what you were abe to bring out in post. By the way I really liked how the lights looked. I did not notice the banding around your lights that I see in some videos (yellow banding around the sun or street lights for example). Is that because, as you said, "I shot this on the dark side to preserve detail in the highlights" Or do you get this yellow banding around the sun, street lights etc. Thank you.

Gary W
08-11-2011, 06:15 PM
So,what scene file settings did you use for this shoot? Nice work by the way.
I also agree the singers not that great.

tscav
08-12-2011, 05:45 AM
Great vid. I agree on the "a little too clean" notion, but thats taste, and post processing could chance that. Definately well litt, and well shot. Did you shoot to external recorder??

Phil1076
08-12-2011, 06:44 AM
What suprises me is that somebody actually invested money into the artist (or lack there of) I thought he was a total hack ripoff. Goes to show how little about r&b I actually know.

Welcome to the garbage that is today's music (and has been for the past 10 years now). This type of music is such crap and the people doing it have no talent. I could "sing" like that too if I had an Autotune...

"Oooh baby you so fine; I wanna tap it two times"
"Uh huh..uh huh for real girl....you my boo"

But I digress....nice camera work. I watched it on mute though.

cheezweezl
08-12-2011, 08:58 AM
Hi all, I am going to post the ungraded version, or at least some stills as soon as I get a free minute. Tscav, what do you mean by "too clean"? Referring to the video or the music? Speaking of the music, yes I think it's clear that nobody likes this guy. I'm not a fan either. I just don't think we should be bashing him on a public forum like this. It's not constructive and doesn't help anyone. Feel free to state your opinion, please just don't let it get to the point of trolling.

With that said, I'm glad you guys like the video despite the audio. I appreciate all the comments.

dtjohns1
08-12-2011, 10:30 AM
@cheezweezi Can you help me out with how you used fog/haze? First off was it a fogger or a hazer and how do you get it to stay in the air for longer than 5 minutes. I have a fog machine but it always seams to disappear really quickly.

cheezweezl
08-12-2011, 11:33 AM
we used a regular fogger. it was one of the nicer rosco ones. fog does need to be kept up. we blasted between takes and fanned a 4x4 solid to get rid of the plumes and make it hazy. the best thing you can do is use a high quality fogger/hazer that doesn't take long to reheat and use high quality juice. the crap they sell at the party store goes away very fast.

dtjohns1
08-12-2011, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the info man! One last question. When you're backlighting the fog what wattages of lights are you using? I only have 650 fresnels and when I use them the beam of light isn't very visible on camera.

PabloOzzy
08-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Cool song and AMAZING clip - seriously well done! Artist must have been over the moon with how that looked. The FS100 is a force to be reckoned with, its a shame the next level up (the F3) for all its benefits lacks a key requirement in overcrank. Oh well, until scarlet emerges (if it ever does) the FS100 looks hard to beat for the $$.

bclighting
08-12-2011, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the info man! One last question. When you're backlighting the fog what wattages of lights are you using? I only have 650 fresnels and when I use them the beam of light isn't very visible on camera.

To get awesome beamage it is better to use a hard edge fixture. It doesn't take much when you have a hardedge and it is pointing just below the camera. The beam angle and the contrast with the surrounding lighting levels is what you really need to look out for.

cheezweezl
08-12-2011, 04:07 PM
We used 1k fresnels on full spot with double steel blue or steel green for the backlights.

cheezweezl
08-15-2011, 12:15 AM
Just found the BTS for this video on YouTube. For anyone that wants to see, here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fixl2ZElTC0&sns=em