PDA

View Full Version : Color Matrix in the FS-100?

Bassman2003
08-07-2011, 10:00 AM
Hello,

I am looking at getting an FS-100. I have worked a lot with an EX-1 and am used to adjusting the picture profiles as well as enjoy have the the color flexibility of a color matrix. After looking at the FS-100 manual I did not see s specific reference to an adjustable color matrix. Does the FS-100 have this level of control like the EX-1 series cameras?

Thanks for your help.

thxdave
08-07-2011, 11:05 AM
I've been wondering the same thing as Bassman. I want to get an FS100 to augment my EX1 and was wondering if the matrix controls would allow the two cameras to be easily matched in a 2-camera shoot?

Matthew Bennett
08-07-2011, 11:31 AM
The Sony F3 seems to have ported many of the familliar ex3 cinegammas, matrix controls, etc...

But the FS100 only has a very simplified version of all those. It seems to only have four curves to choose from gamma wise, limited detail control, limited everything else.

That said those presets are all pretty nice looking.

Matching exactly may be a problem...

thxdave
08-07-2011, 12:30 PM
With SO many variables at play here, could anybody who has both cameras give me a good starting point? I'm sure I'll go though it all over again when I finally get the camera, but it sure would help to have a starting point. Any suggestions from the folks who own the FS100 and the EX1?

Bassman2003
08-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Thanks for your help Matthew.

morgan_moore
08-07-2011, 04:05 PM
I've been wondering the same thing as Bassman. I want to get an FS100 to augment my EX1 and was wondering if the matrix controls would allow the two cameras to be easily matched in a 2-camera shoot?

Im no expert on profileing my EX1 but if that has a lot of controls you shoulde be able to match it to the FS

Ive done two shoots with them so far and all was fine apart from slightly dodgy exposure choices by the Bcam op on the EX!

Getting super technical and accurate with the FS seems quite complex and if for example you were doing colour criitcal* the F3 may be better

S

Dermot
08-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Here's a PSA i shot two weeks ago, a freebie for some friends, and a chance to try out a then brand new camera for a good cause;

http://www.vimeo.com/26982223

the interviewees on a grey BG were shot with an EX1 & FS100 intercut, and the folks on a white BG were shot with a 7D
No real problems matching the Ex & FS, the Ex was using BBC's settings with cinegamma 4, the FS had the orignal AbleCine settings.. took seconds to match them
The 7D was a bit more of a up hill battle, glad we had to use a diffrent BG that day so it didn't have to intercut with the Sony camera's, even with the "technicolor look" in camera the blacks are really blocked up when compared to the detail and lack of noise in the blacks with both of the Sony camera's

The FS hold highlights better than the other two, or to put it another way, it has more latitude.

d