PDA

View Full Version : Making Fall look like Summer?

Andrew McCarrick
08-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Any ideas on how to make fall look like summer? I was hoping to shoot a film this September, but we don't have money yet and the permitting process in one of the cities we want to shoot in takes 60 days. Thus the earliest we can shoot, is October; if applied for permits now.

Michael Carter
08-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Shoot in a southern city. In dallas, it's summer til about december.

David G. Smith
08-01-2011, 11:50 PM
I would get together a lean and mean stealth guerrilla second unit and go out and get as many establishing shots, long shots and the like NOW, while it is summer and use them to match to, the best you can, in the fall. For example, if you have day exteriors of a house, I would shoot the long shots and establishing shots now, with the real small crew, and in the fall, go in tighter and frame to avoid getting in obvious autumn give aways like changing tree colors. I would also get a lot of shots that could be used as back ground plates for possible green screen shooting latter. Like if you have a scene where you want to shoot the talent talking on a park bench with a stand of trees in the medium frame or back ground, shoot some back ground plates now while the trees are green, and in the fall shoot them against a green screen and matte in the summer back ground. You should get summer background plates for view out of windows also. Shoot the summer views now... and shoot the scene latter with a green screen out the window. Shooting the shots now will also give you a reference for your lighting so you can match your autumn light to make it look like summer.

clang
08-02-2011, 12:13 AM
David's ideas are good. And during the main shoot, do everything you can to avoid shooting near shedding trees :)