PDA

View Full Version : Re: Proper Canon EF to E-Mount Adapter for fisheye lens with fixed hood?

ectobuilder
07-29-2011, 08:31 AM
Hey Guys,

I just bought one of the Canon Fisheye lenses (by Rokinon) to adapt to my NEX-FS100, the thing is, the adapting point on Canon's is at 12-o'clock, but on the NEX-FS100 (as you all may know) is at ~2-o'clock. As a result, when you connect the Fisheye to the NEX-FS100 via an adapter, the lens ends up being at a 45 degree angle, as a result vignetting occurs at the two corners due to the unique lens hood of the fisheye. Are there any proper adapters out there that can avoid this?

NOTE: I know that Sigma has a fisheye without a hood but that one is 4x the price of the one I bought, so I am looking for an adapter solution first.

legrevedotcom
07-29-2011, 08:49 AM
I know this is not what you're asking, but why didn't you just get the Sony 16mm and the 0.75 adapter? It's pretty decent and damn cheap at the same time. Add to that that the lens is native to the system so it has AF and all that.

mico
07-29-2011, 10:05 AM
I know this is not what you're asking, but why didn't you just get the Sony 16mm and the 0.75 adapter? It's pretty decent and damn cheap at the same time. Add to that that the lens is native to the system so it has AF and all that.

Because the sony 16mm with .75x will only get you to 12mm and the fisheye is well, a fisheye.

I use my Opteka fisheye which I think is just a rebranded samyang, bower, rokinon and it lines up just fine. Its just a generic no name adapter I can't recommend or remember who i purchased from because there is alot of play in it. You might just have to try a bunch of different adapters.

jetswing
07-29-2011, 10:26 AM
Hey Guys,

I just bought one of the Canon Fisheye lenses (by Rokinon) to adapt to my NEX-FS100, the thing is, the adapting point on Canon's is at 12-o'clock, but on the NEX-FS100 (as you all may know) is at ~2-o'clock. As a result, when you connect the Fisheye to the NEX-FS100 via an adapter, the lens ends up being at a 45 degree angle, as a result vignetting occurs at the two corners due to the unique lens hood of the fisheye. Are there any proper adapters out there that can avoid this?

NOTE: I know that Sigma has a fisheye without a hood but that one is 4x the price of the one I bought, so I am looking for an adapter solution first.
What brand adapter is this? It really doesn't make any sense why anyone would manufacture an adapter that doesn't lineup the lens correctly.

Get a Kipon. It's a good quality dumb adapter.

ectobuilder
07-29-2011, 10:45 AM

Yes I have the 16mm pancake lens with fisheye adapter, I need more of a dramatic fisheye though as well.

ectobuilder
07-29-2011, 10:48 AM
What brand adapter is this? It really doesn't make any sense why anyone would manufacture an adapter that doesn't lineup the lens correctly.

Get a Kipon. It's a good quality dumb adapter.

It is this one:
http://www.adorama.com/CZEOSNEX.html

Can you confirm that the kipon adapter, when screwed onto the NEX-FS100 has the canon lens in the proper orientation?

jetswing
07-29-2011, 10:59 AM
It is this one:
http://www.adorama.com/CZEOSNEX.html

Can you confirm that the kipon adapter, when screwed onto the NEX-FS100 has the canon lens in the proper orientation?

My mistake. Kipon is for FD lenses. I'm using Fotodiox for EOS. Yes, the orientation is correct when you mount the lens.

legrevedotcom
07-29-2011, 11:06 AM
You can also get a Kipon for EF > E mount... I just bought one: ebay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220811212465&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_720wt_1146)

jetswing
07-29-2011, 11:17 AM
You can also get a Kipon for EF > E mount... I just bought one: ebay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220811212465&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_720wt_1146)
Built-in aperture ring is just a gimmick. Why throw away money?

ectobuilder
07-29-2011, 11:48 AM

....AND it is in the proper orientation when screwed on???

ectobuilder
07-29-2011, 11:58 AM
My mistake. Kipon is for FD lenses. I'm using Fotodiox for EOS. Yes, the orientation is correct when you mount the lens.

I'm reading the reviews on Amazon and it doesn't look too positive. What is your take on these negative reviews? One person said that it is "hard to take off". Are these testimonials true?

jetswing
07-29-2011, 12:16 PM
I'm reading the reviews on Amazon and it doesn't look too positive. What is your take on these negative reviews? One person said that it is "hard to take off". Are these testimonials true?
The Fotodiox adapter that I bought was the PRO version ($20 more). I've used it with more than 5 different EF lenses ranging from small prime to big 500mm. The only lens I've experienced a "tight fit" was the 100mm L macro. All other lenses were fine -- not sure if I can fault the adapter. Regardless, I've shot with 100mm a ton so no problem.

All of the reviewers gave bad rating and claims that "it doesn't work" because it doesn't allow you to control the aperture. That's pretty funny. :)

legrevedotcom
07-29-2011, 12:41 PM
Will know tomorrow... :)