PDA

View Full Version : Manual Iris Control: Loud clicking sound and flashing aperture

AndyInBuffalo
07-27-2011, 09:23 PM
I just received my Sony alpha to e adapter and a lens for the FS100.

I was unpleasantly surprised to hear a loud clicking sound and flashing aperture when using the on-camera iris wheel. This makes the setup almost completely useless for documentary or run and gun.

I don't like the e-mount lenses offered by Sony.

I'm wondering whether there is a decent lens out there with smooth aperture control. I understand that Samyang has started to make a version with a "de-clicked" ring.

Has anyone had success with an adapter that offers good iris control (quiet, no vignetting).

I'm using the Tamron 28-75.

Andy

eheath
07-27-2011, 09:34 PM
The image is going to flicker, you're changing the exposure..

and if you want a declick lens, do it yourself, buy some or buy cine lenses. Usually, only cine lenses come declicked.

jetswing
07-27-2011, 09:36 PM
Your only option is to use NEX lenes (e.g. kit lens) or manual aperture lenses. And Samyang makes manual aperture lenses but not de-clicked.

jetswing
07-27-2011, 09:38 PM
The image is going to flicker, you're changing the exposure..
He's talking about something else...it's a limitation of Sony adapter -- there's nothing you can do about it.

eheath
07-27-2011, 09:52 PM
He's talking about something else...it's a limitation of Sony adapter -- there's nothing you can do about it.

Oh, well i retract my statement.

@andyinbuffalo have you tried out the kit lens? ive heard many good things, ive been considering it over a nikon 80-200.

mandrean
07-28-2011, 06:00 AM
And Samyang makes manual aperture lenses but not de-clicked.They have started making de-clicked lenses with for Sony E/NEX mount cameras (May 5, 2011, source (http://www.samyang.pl/article,8,news).)

AndyInBuffalo
07-28-2011, 07:54 AM
They have started making de-clicked lenses with for Sony E/NEX mount cameras (May 5, 2011, source (http://www.samyang.pl/article,8,news).)

According to the article, Samyang is making the lenses for Alpha mounts, which means you will not get auto focus control as you would with an e-mount lens. Thanks for the link.