PDA

View Full Version : would you trust a top handle?

morgan_moore
07-27-2011, 02:51 PM
Of course a top handle would be a great plan for a naked camera and kit lens

But no disrepect to the other thread just started but in pimping my FS100

With rails big lenses a monitor and vlock batteries I get the feeling I would not want to pick it up by those three screws on the top of the camera

any thoughts

S

plasticam
07-27-2011, 03:36 PM
We talked about that. Paul, the engineer I'm working with wasn't even concerned if it was a metal or plastic chassis that those 1/4" threads land in. he said plastics are so strong these days it doesn't matter.

caleb

Alpern
07-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Yes I would be concerned. I would want any top handle to tie into the rods and base plate of the camera. If you can make it more or less fool proof for a few extra $ or risk a 5K camera. Its just not worth the risk IMHO.

plasticam
07-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Well its not an either or guys. it's a function of a safe weight limit. and you're both right, if you have a primo zoom
and a v-lock set up, I wanna be tied to baseplate too. If you have a 28-70 and a 5" marshall with rods and FF- there is
nothing to worry about. but I thank the starter of the thread I already have a call into Sony for parameters on this and we may make a bridgeplate/rod connector depending on need... it is an FS100 tho. 95% of the applications are within chassis limits I expect. but I will get word from Sony and post back here. we all need to know this. great caution.

caleb

plasticam
07-27-2011, 04:47 PM
Zacuto and berkey both use the same screws for their top handles. if you want a top handle - this is kinda the way to do it. You wanna go into Howitzer Mode and get big, you need to be careful with these plasticams on all fronts. I've seen an EX1 in pieces on the ground. Now should we talk about Sony's concept of a handle mounted to a single screw?

sinapps
07-27-2011, 06:47 PM
I trust my top handle just fine, just not one attached to the cam

DM_rider
07-28-2011, 12:07 AM
I wouldn't trust the one mounting point on the camera, even with nothing but a lens on it. I could see it getting hit wrong and being ripped off or something.

legrevedotcom
07-28-2011, 01:37 AM
I trust my top handle just fine, just not one attached to the cam

Where did you get that handle accessory from? I think it looks rather nice.

sinapps
07-28-2011, 02:26 AM
Where did you get that handle accessory from? I think it looks rather nice.

Monstor Grip from Cinevate: http://www.cinevate.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=271

plasticam
07-28-2011, 04:06 AM
I was just remembering the handles on my Aaton LTR and XTR. I serviced those myself for simple things and was constantly
removing the handle to access the tap and clean the ground glass. That cam is a tank and a masterpiece of lightweight strength. The handle fastened with just 4 allen heads about one quarter the size of the FS100 bolts. I mounted them loaded with cine zooms underslung to Weaver Steadman arms from a single 3/8ths nut without ever giving it a seconds thought. All hanging from the handle. Grips do that stuff all day.

I just think Sony employs engineers to make their camera chassis, and those mounts are meant for one thing- weight. I agree we should know the designed weight load parameters but to suggest two 1/4 inch chassis studs won't handle a normal shooting rig is a going too far. The engineers at Sony, Zacuto and berkey know their business too.

plasticam
07-28-2011, 11:00 AM
OK I have an email in to my Sony rep who said he will need to fwd it to Japan and get back to me in a couple days.
I have a shoot coming up next week that involves a dolly and some heavy weight and I plan to use a prototype handle so I'm glad you guys raised the issue. I'll post whatever Sony says here.

Postmaster
07-28-2011, 01:02 PM
The product manager said there is a stainless steel skeleton under all that plastic - would be great if true.

Frank

dstoe
08-01-2011, 02:18 AM
What happened to the other thread offering a top handle with a wooden grip for the FS100? Was this censored?

After the first two shoots with my FS100, I will definitely need a better handle.

Kraut69
08-01-2011, 05:57 AM
Was wondering the same thing. If a thread gets deleted, there really needs to be a marker or something noting the deletion to avoid confusion.

Mestizo Devon
08-01-2011, 08:58 PM
+1

Thought I dreamed the whole thing.