PDA

View Full Version : Default Profile Pictures with FS100

Budgieboots
07-27-2011, 12:42 AM
Hi everybody!

I just got my FS100 and I am very happy with it so far.

I'm just wondering if anybody happens to know a little bit more about the built-in profile pictures that are the initial ones that come with the camera.

I'm guessing if I want to go for that "cinematic" look, I'd be interested in either Profile Picture 5 or 6 correct? I believe 5 is the cinematone1, and 6 is cinematone2.

Also, if I want to do post production colour grading, which is the best initial profile picture to give the highest amount of dynamic range?

Or should I just totally scrap the defaults and dial in some other numbers?

FelixGER
07-27-2011, 06:13 AM
Also, if I want to do post production colour grading, which is the best initial profile picture to give the highest amount of dynamic range?

That depends on your approach. Some say: Shoot as flat as possible to have more room in post.
Others (including me) say: Get as close to your desired end result in camera without throwing away information. The less grading needed, the less image degration you get.

I personally recommend two picture profiles.
One with standard gamma, tweaked for maximum range without getting too flat. This you can use in very dark environments. This setting gives you 800 Canon ISO @ 0 DB

One with cinegamma 1, without crushing dark parts of the picture so it´s just a more contrasty picture closer to a graded movie. But this profile is a little darker except for the highlights. They´re the same as standard. This setting gives you 500 Canon ISO @ 0 DB (in the dark-midtones)

Or should I just totally scrap the defaults and dial in some other numbers?

Yes! Just try everything out, read the "Picture Profile Thread". You can always reset to defaults!