PDA

View Full Version : lens suppot for nikon 80-200

eheath
07-26-2011, 09:27 PM
So, ive read that you need support for the nikon 80-200. im looking to buy the old push-pull zoom 80-200 2.8 and it doesn't have a tripod collar. I know there is some company that makes a suppose system with very short rails to attach to a tripod collar.

So my questions are a) whats a good lens support system and b) what should i do about the lens im wanting not having a tripod collar?

thanks guys
evan

morgan_moore
07-26-2011, 11:07 PM
a) get one that does have a collar?

eheath
07-26-2011, 11:12 PM
a) get one that does have a collar?

well, i could spend 400-500 on an 80-200 or 1000+ for an 80-200 for a collar...

Alpern
07-26-2011, 11:18 PM
http://store.zacuto.com/zacuto-lens-supports/

legrevedotcom
07-26-2011, 11:31 PM
Don't want to hijack, but got a similar challenge. I have the Canon 70-200, it does have a collar, but what kind of accessory would I slide on the rails to support it? I don't take it that I should mount the rails on the collar? :S Atleast I wouldn't feel comfortable with the Sony hanging off the adapter, hanging off the lens hehe.

EDIT: Aaaand it would seem that Alpern gave a perfectly good link :) Thanks

eheath
07-26-2011, 11:34 PM
http://store.zacuto.com/zacuto-lens-supports/

i guess this is what im looking for, but i remember seeing a link to a product that included a baseplate, very short rails and the support.

legrevedotcom
07-26-2011, 11:44 PM
I reckon this might work as well?

http://www.shoot35.com/products/rodsupport/rodsupportmainframe.html

eheath
07-26-2011, 11:55 PM
I reckon this might work as well?

http://www.shoot35.com/products/rodsupport/rodsupportmainframe.html

Close, that support is made for the sg blade though.

I was looking into some cheap support on b&h and they make some for lenses without tripod mounts. Add on IndiSYSTEM pro rails, it could be under 200 bucks for the support then i'd have rods for a FF or matte box whenever i decide to get those

eheath
07-27-2011, 12:14 AM
I just realized the fotodiox nikon g -> emount adapter i was considering buying has a tripod mount, would that be acceptable for support? or do i need it physically on the lens?

legrevedotcom
07-27-2011, 12:24 AM
I think you'd still have to support the lens itself, or you'll have a downward dragging force in the socket where lens meets adapter. I doubt the adapter will appreciate this for a longer periode of time. :)

eheath
07-27-2011, 12:38 AM
I think you'd still have to support the lens itself, or you'll have a downward dragging force in the socket where lens meets adapter. I doubt the adapter will appreciate this for a longer periode of time. :)

That makes sense. Plus, the adapters made for lenses without a tripod mount are cheaper.

morgan_moore
07-27-2011, 01:48 AM
well, i could spend 400-500 on an 80-200 or 1000+ for an 80-200 for a collar...

I bet you could get one with a collar for 600-700

My comment may have seemed trite but over the years I had two donkeys of that lense, and a stigma before I just did the right thing and bought a really nice copy*

.. which is what I should have done in the first place and would have saved me cash

If you have a collar on a rail mount you can slide the lens down the rails and then rotate it onto the adapter then lock the collar - super solid

any "under only" support is just going to wobble

A third party solution that wraps round the lens (like that dogs dinner from zacuto) you will have to tighten up after its in place - a PITA no doubt

Supporting the lens with a matte box will require scewing the thing onto the matte box after the lens is affixed to the camera

it will take you 10 mins to change a lens

just get one with a collar.. IMO

S

* actually I bought the 70-200 VR
the best version (for filming) is the 'proper aperture' super rare 80-200 non sliding zoom
One thing about the slide to zoom version is that it is a POS if you want to use a follow focus without tinkering with it all the time

I also bought a fantastic 100-300 nikkor for $100 but gave up on that for filming because I could not get it stable .. no collar

legrevedotcom
07-27-2011, 02:36 AM
Does the kit lens need support for tripod use? Or will the camera mount carry it without problems?

eheath
07-27-2011, 02:41 AM
Does the kit lens need support for tripod use? Or will the camera mount carry it without problems?
no, the kit lens is light enough

eheath
07-27-2011, 02:49 AM
This is very interesting, tripod collar build for the push-pull 80-200... only 150 bucks not a bad price
http://www.kirkphoto.com/Lens_Collar_for_80-200mm_Push-Pull_D.html

legrevedotcom
07-27-2011, 04:14 AM
How many kg is the camera mount able to handle? 468g ain't much, even Canon's 24-70 weighs in around 1000g :S I'm considering cashing out the canons and getting primes instead, maybe zeiss ones.

morgan_moore
07-27-2011, 04:54 AM
the manual says dont pick the camera up by the lens - so we know that the mount is not enough to carry the camera - whatever that is

S

morgan_moore
07-27-2011, 05:10 AM
This is very interesting, tripod collar build for the push-pull 80-200... only 150 bucks not a bad price
http://www.kirkphoto.com/Lens_Collar_for_80-200mm_Push-Pull_D.html

Have you considered getting this on

You would need to do up the allen key after you had it in place

Of course if you are slinging the camera on the back it would be cool but if the camera is already on rails you need to be able to move the lens to the camera, turn it 60 degrees then lock

S

legrevedotcom
07-27-2011, 05:41 AM
the manual says dont pick the camera up by the lens - so we know that the mount is not enough to carry the camera - whatever that is

S Ok... that would mean that the mount cannot sustain the weight of ca. 1000g, since the body weighs that. Support it is then :S

Douglas Villalba
07-27-2011, 07:38 AM
I have one of those lenses since it first came out and it is the sharpest lens I have at fully open f2.8. I have a lens support for it at BH back in the 90s on one of my visits to their used store.
I don't use it at all, it is kind of hard to focus and zoom with it on. The lens is not that heavy anyway and it was made to be used that way. I would just get the adapter with the rail support in case that the flange on the camera is not strong enough only the adapter may get screwed up.

eheath
07-27-2011, 10:32 AM
I have one of those lenses since it first came out and it is the sharpest lens I have at fully open f2.8. I have a lens support for it at BH back in the 90s on one of my visits to their used store.
I don't use it at all, it is kind of hard to focus and zoom with it on. The lens is not that heavy anyway and it was made to be used that way. I would just get the adapter with the rail support in case that the flange on the camera is not strong enough only the adapter may get screwed up.

Yeah im stoked to use one of these older 80-200 2.8s but im almost at the point where im about to just get the kit lens for my tele shots and save a couple hundred on support and shit.

tanega
07-27-2011, 10:33 AM
I Saw this on Ebay...28 bucks...37436

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wieldy-Lens-support-mount-15mm-rod-rig-5d2-7D-DV-/110711350551?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c6e92517#ht_1732wt_1398

eheath
07-27-2011, 10:35 AM
I Saw this on Ebay...28 bucks...37436

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wieldy-Lens-support-mount-15mm-rod-rig-5d2-7D-DV-/110711350551?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c6e92517#ht_1732wt_1398

This was my first solution, but people said it wouldn't work well? i mean, if its all cranked down on rails it would be okay on just a tripod right?

tanega
07-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Yeah could Zip tie you lens down to this as well...same thing i think....I guess it would have to be at the end of your 80-200 near filter ring...it would be "steady freddy"....

eheath
07-27-2011, 11:03 AM
Yeah could Zip tie you lens down to this as well...same thing i think....I guess it would have to be at the end of your 80-200 near filter ring...it would be "steady freddy"....

yeah, i may have to go this route since its about 180 dollars cheaper and way easier than the kirk tripod collar and then mix and matching 15mm rod mounts with quick releases. I would most like keep it attach to my 80-200 at all times and when ill be using an 80-200 ill be setting up a bunch of stuff so time isn't a huge issue.

morgan_moore
07-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Yeah im stoked to use one of these older 80-200 2.8s but im almost at the point where im about to just get the kit lens for my tele shots and save a couple hundred on support and s**t.

The kit lens is pretty awesome with AF IS and all - and tiny and 18.3.5 which is expensive to beat in prime land - its a must have

get the 80-200 later when you have more cash for workarounds

Id pick the kit lens over an old 80-200 any day unless I only shot narrative

Im rockin the kit lens and also have an 85/2 nikkor which gives me the fast tele look and has none of the support issues and cost $200

S

eheath
07-27-2011, 11:23 AM
The kit lens is pretty awesome with AF IS and all - and tiny and 18.3.5 which is expensive to beat in prime land - its a must have

get the 80-200 later when you have more cash for workarounds

Id pick the kit lens over an old 80-200 any day unless I only shot narrative

Im rockin the kit lens and also have an 85/2 nikkor which gives me the fast tele look and has none of the support issues and cost $200

S

yeah this was gonna be my other option, kit lens and then a fast prime 85/105, i already have a 135 2.8. im gonna be meeting up with a friend who has an fs100 this weekend and he has the kit lens so ill have to feel it out.

Kraut69
07-27-2011, 11:31 AM
This will work for many situations:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554350-REG/Manfrotto_293_293_Telephoto_Lens_Support.html

morgan_moore
07-27-2011, 11:37 AM
yeah this was gonna be my other option, kit lens and then a fast prime 85/105, i already have a 135 2.8. im gonna be meeting up with a friend who has an fs100 this weekend and he has the kit lens so ill have to feel it out.

The kit lens is funny - I hated it at first - do a few walk AF tests and some handheld wide stuff and you will be sold

Switch to the prime when you need a serious shallow look or some nice focus feel when pulling focus on a tripod

The let down of the kit lens is the fly by wire focus - which feels delayed and mushy

eheath
07-27-2011, 11:47 AM
This will work for many situations:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554350-REG/Manfrotto_293_293_Telephoto_Lens_Support.html
i saw this too but it doesn't really seem that legit, do you think this would work well for long tele shots? possibly 80-200 with 2x teleconverter?

Kraut69
07-27-2011, 12:37 PM
The reviews on B&H are good. I can mount a Canon FD 300mm L lens on this thing to the FS100. Put a Bogen quick release plate on it and mount it to your regular head, doesn't look quite as elegant as a rod system but it works.

eheath
07-27-2011, 12:39 PM
The reviews on B&H are good. I can mount a Canon FD 300mm L lens on this thing to the FS100. Put a Bogen quick release plate on it and mount it to your regular head, doesn't look quite as elegant as a rod system but it works.

interesting, this would eliminate the need for rails and would knock down my cheaper system from 130 bucks to 60... not a bad idea

plasticam
07-27-2011, 04:14 PM
This is a great thread. I havent had time to read it all but am facing same issue. my concern is that there will be more lens mount failures from torquing lenses too firmly with the force of the threads- than if no support was ever used.

I've used rail supported lens mounts and it's just screw it in until sorta tight. that is not enough for me. Maybe I'm thinking about it too much! i just want some kind of lens torque spec.

Caleb crosby

legrevedotcom
07-28-2011, 11:26 AM
Well, wouldn't a vertical adjustable rail support come in handy here? I'd love to hear why people are shunning the Ebay ones... they seem to look decently made?

eheath
07-28-2011, 11:42 AM
interesting, this would eliminate the need for rails and would knock down my cheaper system from 130 bucks to 60... not a bad idea

So, i think i was a little tired when i was looking at this, my only concern with this manfrotto lens support is that the height doesn't adjust, its making me think twice...

legrevedotcom
07-29-2011, 09:08 AM
I just decided to go for the Vocas universal 15mm lens support. I've read and heard good things about them, and since they were available from a Danish retailer as well, I thought what the heck. Well give some feed back on it when it arrives next week.

From what I understood from the retailer, they are ordering them in from Holland, so there should be some available for us Europeans, in case you're tired of looking.

eheath
07-29-2011, 03:53 PM
more and more im considering the kit lens. i dont need a fast lens, i just want a lens that looks good, goes to 200 and is easy to use. Seems like the kit might be the choice...

Kraut69
07-29-2011, 06:02 PM
On the manfrotto lens support--adjustment for the height is compensated by tilting the camera on the head, the lens pivots on the front support as needed, plus if you ever need to, you could put a foam layer under the front cradle--I have installed the canon EF 70-200M L lens and the Canon FD 300mm L lens, quite a bit of height difference between the two, and I didn't have to add any additional foam to the front support. Changing the lens is pretty fast. One issue is you have to put a short lens on the camera that doesn't need the support, there's a possibility if you leave the support on, it could get into the field of view. Taking the support off for a shorter lens would be a hassle when you are in a hurry.

eheath
07-29-2011, 09:45 PM
On the manfrotto lens support--adjustment for the height is compensated by tilting the camera on the head, the lens pivots on the front support as needed, plus if you ever need to, you could put a foam layer under the front cradle--I have installed the canon EF 70-200M L lens and the Canon FD 300mm L lens, quite a bit of height difference between the two, and I didn't have to add any additional foam to the front support. Changing the lens is pretty fast. One issue is you have to put a short lens on the camera that doesn't need the support, there's a possibility if you leave the support on, it could get into the field of view. Taking the support off for a shorter lens would be a hassle when you are in a hurry.

interesting... giving me more confidence. i wish the top plate was a 577 quick release not the tiny little guy, it could make switching really easy. but, when i use my 80-200 i probably wont be in a hurry to change, so this might work well.

Kraut69
07-30-2011, 01:23 PM
You could always maybe install a 577 to the little guy, would just raise things up a bit, don't know how much that would affect fit though. If you do get one, there is a little brass lever safety catch that has to be pushed to the rear each time you put the camera on, the camera plate catches fine, sort of neat how it catches to the support, but that little brass lever is a second safety catch, don't forget to flip it.

I got this setup because I am pretty confused with the selection of rod supports, and I don't want to buy something I will regret later, so this $61 solution has bought me more time. Plus it works great on the DSLR's which is what is was made for. You need something to support the weight of the lens AND the FS100 in my opinion because the FS100 weighs so much more than a DSLR. Hence the typical tripod mount like on the 70-200mm doesn't hack it for the FS100.