PDA

View Full Version : Genus Matte Box + 4x4 NDS or variable ND?

Kyle McConaghy
07-26-2011, 08:59 AM
Hello! I have an upcoming shoot and need a ND solution soon. It looks like the heliopan faders are out of stock everywhere. What do you guys think about a Matte box + a .9 and .6 4x4 filters? Would that be a good solution? Thanks for your help!

David W. Jones
07-26-2011, 10:33 AM
If a 4x4 filter will cover your widest lens then it would be a good start.
Most of my filters are 4x5.65.

All the Best!

Dave

NeedCreative
07-26-2011, 07:09 PM
I use a Matte box with 4x4's (Genus, Tiffen). It's kind of a pain to set up but it does work nicely. I however got a 1.8 filter as well as a .6 and .9; I had to stack a 1.8 and a .6 at sunrise at 0db at F4 just to expose correctly.

jdv
07-26-2011, 07:41 PM
The Genus is a grand w/o filters. The filters start off at around $150:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=4x4++ND+filter&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

The Heliopan ND filters start out at around $60:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=heliopan+ND+filter&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

So if money is an issue, and you don't have a lot of different focal length lenses, the screw on filters are much cheaper.

A tweener type option is the Cokin system. It uses drop in glass like a matte box, but instead of a true matte box, it screws onto the lens:
http://www.amazon.com/Cokin-CBP400A-P-Series-Holder/dp/B000L47COM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_p_2

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/browse/Cokin/ci/9308/N/4232863067

Kinda of a cool option, and not pricey.

jdv
07-26-2011, 07:48 PM
Nice write up on the Cokin system at B&H:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/cokin.jsp?cm_sp=Resource-_-Newsletter_Article-_-Cokin_Creative_Filter_System

A nice review that features the Cokin on the FS100:
http://exposureroom.com/members/dvwarrior/da8e41d323124ad8beedc644a468c08c/

NeedCreative
07-27-2011, 05:46 AM
The one thing you're missing with that Conkin setup is you don't have any protection against stray light that the sunshade and french flag get you on a Matte box. Just a note to consider.

I agree Genus is expensive (including filters, I spent over $1200... and I got the Genus kit for half price on Amazon out of sheer luck one day. $500 for the box, french flag, a ring and the advanced bars all in a kit that separately would have been around $1100 I believe).

FrameFarmMedia
03-10-2012, 11:06 AM
They have a stackable hood available as an accessorie.

mico
03-10-2012, 11:48 AM
I just bought the genus GWMC wide angle matte box from B&H which included, box with 77 screw ring, nuns knickers, height adjustable 15mm rod riser attachment, and top french flag all separately for around $775. With this system you can use it without rods to screw onto the lens , or use with rods and adjust height, knickers to keep light out along with the top flag. If you buy items separately you'll have more functionality for around the same price as their all in one kits that won't give you height adjust or nuns knickers.

Its also a great matte box. I've tried several others and this is by far the best for the price and functionality.

BrianMurphy
03-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Both. If you need to rig the camera for light weight operation handheld or stabilizer, a variable is going to come in handy and its lightweight and managable. That is my take and what I am doing.There are certainly many variables in quality and price in variables...sorry couldn't resist.

DM_rider
03-10-2012, 03:00 PM
I have a helio pan, full set of circulars, as well as a chrosziel mb450 matte box with an nd 3,6,9,1.2, grad 6, grad 9, pola, and an IR. Pretty basic kit, but it does the trick. You really should have a full set of ND. I think people forget how important light control is with the FS100. It's 100% worth it to invest in good filtering, it will out last any camera.

I use the heliopan when I really have no time to be swapping filters or don't have an ac. I prefer not to use it, but it's always with me. Most of the time I have the matte box on, even if I'm running around.

The best advice you can get would be to not cheap out on a matte box and filters. You will seriously regret it, do it right the first time. It may seem pretty steep when you add it all up, but it's worth it.

Also, I have used the schneider digicons with the FS100, and am about to pick a few up. They are also worth having in your kit.

Postmaster
03-11-2012, 12:57 AM
Actually I started to prefer the variable ND over my 4x4 NDs.

You donīt touch your shutter speed anyway, use the aperture for creative reasons - so your only exposure control is ether your lights, or a ND.
With the variable ND I can dial in my exposure on the spot and get the most out of the camera.
With fixed steps of ND, itīs always a sacrifice and compromise.

my ct2

Frank

Kyle McConaghy
03-11-2012, 11:11 AM
I agree with Frank. I have the Heliopan and love it. I have never noticed any quality degradation. It's so nice to set your aperture and then fine tune your exposure with the ND.

shortnstout
06-18-2012, 02:35 PM
I have a helio pan, full set of circulars, as well as a chrosziel mb450 matte box with an nd 3,6,9,1.2, grad 6, grad 9, pola, and an IR. Pretty basic kit, but it does the trick. You really should have a full set of ND. I think people forget how important light control is with the FS100. It's 100% worth it to invest in good filtering, it will out last any camera.

I use the heliopan when I really have no time to be swapping filters or don't have an ac. I prefer not to use it, but it's always with me. Most of the time I have the matte box on, even if I'm running around.

The best advice you can get would be to not cheap out on a matte box and filters. You will seriously regret it, do it right the first time. It may seem pretty steep when you add it all up, but it's worth it.

Also, I have used the schneider digicons with the FS100, and am about to pick a few up. They are also worth having in your kit.

DM- what is the best way to use ND Grads in a mattebox. I see 4x4 NDs but imagine you don't have room for repositioning. For photo I have a 4x5.6 vertical grad that allows me to move it up and down. Can you use this in a mattebox? I've seen the horizontal 4x5.6 grads, which would help with wider lenses I guess, but can you move them up and down to position the horizon?
Thanks!