PDA

View Full Version : Could a laser kill sensor in an FS100?

mandrean
07-25-2011, 05:56 PM
I've heard a lot about 5D:s and 7D:s getting killed by lasers in night clubs: http://youtu.be/q5kz7kQhGtU

Is it as dangerous for an FS100 as well? I'm not that into the physical and technical aspects of sensors, but perhaps parameters like base sensitivity and pixel size/pitch matters affects how much each photo diode can handle before breaking?

What would you say? Should I keep my FS100 away from work where there are lasers?

TimurCivan
07-25-2011, 07:28 PM
I would. If it'll kill a 5/7d it probably will kill a FS.

DM_rider
07-25-2011, 07:30 PM
I imagine they would.

mico
07-25-2011, 07:43 PM
http://www.laserist.org/camera-sensor-damage.htm

mandrean
07-26-2011, 08:44 AM
Is this true? (From a YouTube comment)

"use polfilters , due to the fact taht laser light is polariziced the filter will secure your camera by direct laser light"

Barry_Green
07-26-2011, 09:07 AM
Well, it's an interesting idea, but way overly simplified and certainly not something you can count on. Laser light can be polarized, usually is polarized, but not always, and the type of polarization may vary.

If you want to know all there is to know about lasers, check out Sam's Laser FAQ (http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/laserfaq.htm).

I think green lasers are supposed to be always polarized, but others may not. I just tried a red laser pointer, shining through a polarizing filter -- and no matter what angle I rotated the filter to, it made no difference, the laser was equally bright -- meaning that this particular laser pointer wasn't affected at all by a polarizing filter.

So the question becomes -- if you're shooting where lasers are, should you use a polarizing filter? And the answer is... well, it may or may not work, but even if it does work, do you want to use it? It depends -- do you want to be able to see the lasers? If the lasers truly are polarized, you may be able to protect your sensor by turning the polarizer to the point where the lasers disappear, which means that they won't be able to damage your sensor, the filter would be blocking the laser entirely. But that would (should?) also mean that you can't see the lasers in the show too, right? I dunno, I'm spitballin' here.

Rick Burnett
07-26-2011, 09:12 AM
The problem is, all lasers are not created equal. I've shot lasers with my 7D before and didn't have a problem, but they were my lasers and I knew the output. Many of the videos I have seen where people are shooting lasers at shows, they are VERY HIGH POWER lasers, and I'd even question if you should even be seeing them AT ALL with your eyes. I'd say the safest thing is NOT to ever shoot them. It's actually illegal in many states to use high powered lights like that, and there are people who go around to clubs and measure them. The fines are CRAZY high as well. But people still buy them, especially the cheap chinese super powered ones (which I have bought before as well) and don't actually know they are doing something illegal.