PDA

View Full Version : Canon FD adapter

Kyle McConaghy
07-24-2011, 05:38 PM
I'm in the market for an FD to NEX e mount adapter. Has anyone used one they particularly like? It looks like the Bower one is the only sub $150 adapter on BH Photo and I'm a bit leery of the fotodiox and rainbow imaging. But maybe I shouldn't be? Thanks for our help!

jetswing
07-24-2011, 05:52 PM
The Bower brand is same as Kipon -- just rebranded. I got a Kipon and it's a high quality adapter. See the link below. I made an offer for $65, which they had accepted.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220672429302&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:1123

LoganMackay
07-24-2011, 06:51 PM
Kipon is *not* high quality.

Spend the money on a Novoflex, MTF Services or Adaptimax.

jetswing
07-24-2011, 08:20 PM
Kipon is *not* high quality.

Spend the money on a Novoflex, MTF Services or Adaptimax.

You're absolutely right - Kipon is not a name brand but you won't get one of those total crap either. It fits well and feels solid. Like I've said, Bower sell rebranded Kipon for $150 -- you're paying for name brand.

Also, spending over $200 for $50 lens isn't exactly prudent. I've barely spent $200 for 6 FD lenses in great condition including couple of primes. FD lenses are small and lightweight. As long as the adapter has a good fit, you shouldn't have much of an issue.

Kyle McConaghy
07-24-2011, 08:24 PM
I've only used Sony EXs and Canon DSLRs... so this will be my first adapter purchase. Pardon my ignorance! What's up with the screw in the adapters? I assume it doesn't hurt your lenses?

jetswing
07-24-2011, 08:48 PM
I've only used Sony EXs and Canon DSLRs... so this will be my first adapter purchase. Pardon my ignorance! What's up with the screw in the adapters? I assume it doesn't hurt your lenses?
There are two variation of FD mount, breech-lock (older, with silver ring) and bayonet (newer all black lenses). The only different is how the lens locks on to the camera body. The "screw" is a switch for the breech-lock type that allow you to lock/open the aperture control ring so you can manually set the aperture. There are adapters that won't support both types.

jdv
07-25-2011, 11:55 AM
Phil Bloom has called the FD series "soft." For those who are using the lenses now on the FS100, what's your verdict on that judgment?

Doctor Wu
07-25-2011, 12:05 PM
You're referring to what page on Bloom's blog?

I believe he called them soft when used with an optical adapter (needed on a Canon EOS mount).

The optical enlarger is not needed on a NEX adapter.

Canon FD's are sharp and contrasty. They just tend to breathe a lot on full frame - less noticeable on smaller sensors for some reason.

jetswing
07-25-2011, 12:09 PM
I think it would unfair to categorize all FD lenses as soft. Yes, a couple of lenses I've tried were soft but I have used others that were sharp as Canon L series lenses or even sharper. For example FD 35-105mm that I picked for less than $40 is sharp as Canon 70-200mm f/2.8.

Kyle McConaghy
07-25-2011, 12:58 PM
What about the sharpness of the Canon FD 1.4. S.S.C? I've read good things but haven't heard from FS100 user.

cuervo
07-25-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm using a rainbow imaging Canon FD adapter and find it quite adequate. The rainbow imaging EOS adapter is a piece of junk, but the FD adapter is fine. I have, also, a lot of canon glass, including the 50mm f1.4, 135mm f/2.8 and 200mm f/3.5. These are all very fine lenses that are tack sharp. Anyone who has characterized these lenses as "soft" is mistaken.
What about the sharpness of the Canon FD 1.4. S.S.C? I've read good things but haven't heard from FS100 user.<br><br><br>

jdv
07-25-2011, 01:39 PM
You're referring to what page on Bloom's blog?

I believe he called them soft when used with an optical adapter (needed on a Canon EOS mount).

Canon FD's are sharp and contrasty. They just tend to breathe a lot on full frame - less noticeable on smaller sensors for some reason.

http://philipbloom.net/2010/08/20/which-lenses-to-buy/

"Avoid the Canon FD lenses. You need an adaptor with glass in it to make it work with the EOS cameras and they simply do not work well. Soft am afraid! A real shame as there are lots of affordable FD lenses out there…"

mico
07-25-2011, 03:11 PM
Ah the cult of Bloom . Doctor Wu is correct. Bloom was referring to the FD to EOS MOUNT adapters which have a cheap glass (plastic really) element in it when FD lenses are used with Canon DSLR's.

FD to e mount adapters have no glass in them. FD lenses were the go to lens for professionals photographers in their day. I have about 8 FD lenses. They are not soft they are sharp and work perfectly with the FS-100. There are some L series FD's that still run over $1000. They can be cinemized too by some companies.

http://www.rplens.com/products.htm

MTF makes a great FD to e adapter. Expensive.

jdv
07-25-2011, 07:10 PM
Ah, good to know.... although I'm sure that FD glass is starting to nudge up in price now.

And Phil's ok - just like all the bigger name guys, you have to take it all with a grain of salt - any one getting prepro products has the potential for bias. He does seems to be a straight shooter though, and I don't think he's ever promoted something that wasn't quality - or trashed something that didn't deserve it.

He knows his sh#$, and his basic advice - invest in good glass before cameras - is sound from where I am.