PDA

View Full Version : Starting a new short doc

RossS
04-28-2005, 05:25 AM
I am a newbie who would like to begin shooting a short doc that focuses around a lot of nature / scenics. Most of the stuff will be outdoors, many wide, static shots. Also some time lapse and a lot of slow-mo. Any advice on equipment I will need for this? Is there a decent tripod on the market for under $400 that will suit my needs? Thanks for any advice. I am truly at Step #1!!!

antonx
04-28-2005, 09:17 AM
Ross8, sorry to jump on the bandwagon, but I figured we could kill two birds with one proverbial.

I too would like some information on equipment, particularly a camera. I have shot a few low quality short documentaries for my own enjoyment and have an interest in stepping up the quality a bit.

I'm going travelling to make a long planned documentary (on a passion of mine) and although i'm not in the business i'd love for it to be of good quality. My aim is not to make money from this effort nor to launch a doco career, however It'd be great to be able to enter it into competitions etc... or try to get it aired somewhere.

I've narrowed it down to needing a 3ccd 1/4" (what is a 3ccd 1/4.7" see panasonic) with a low apperture lens (I need to shoot in a lot of low light - pub - environments)

Is there any advice out there about what quality I'd be able to go down to and still be able to produce a decent quality peice that'd be ok for competitions etc... (as previously mentioned) For example would going down to 3ccd 1/6" (panasonic PV-GS150) be a really bad idea?

And finally, I am on a budget and can spend no more than about US$ 500 - 800 on the camera alone.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

sojrn
04-29-2005, 09:40 AM
Is there a decent tripod on the market for under $400 that will suit my needs? Thanks for any advice. I am truly at Step #1!!!

We got our tripod, an Amvona fluid head, on ebay for under $200 and we have been very pleased with it. You may want to check out Ebay as they have some for bid right now.

sojrn
04-29-2005, 09:46 AM
Basic Equipment:

Camera
Good Tripod for the camera
Good Microphone, preferably with a boom (don't use the built-in mic)
One or Two lights with stands (look in lighting for examples of cheap lighting)
One or Two Bounce Boards (Wal-Mart has white foam boards for cheap)

If anyone can think of anything else that would go in a basic "starter" package, chime in!

sojrn
04-29-2005, 09:51 AM
And finally, I am on a budget and can spend no more than about US$ 500 - 800 on the camera alone.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

I'm afraid the DVX camera is going to cost you much more than what you have to spend, even used, but in my opinion it is the best camera around, so you might want to see about upping your budget to afford the DVX. It would definitely be worth it.