PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried PL primes yet?

legrevedotcom
07-21-2011, 02:19 PM
For a still photographer gone video like myself this article was quite informative:

http://www.gizmag...dium=email

I (http://www.gizmag.com/high-quality-optics-budget-film-making/19290/?utm_source=Gizmag+Subscribers&utm_campaign=5d7262b2a2-UA-2235360-4&utm_medium=email)'ve looked and drooled at the CP.2s before, shunning their 5900 dollar price (yep... price in Denmark including tax :S). Besides that I wasn't aware there were so many different kinds around.

I like how the article takes into account the good old stuff. Mechanical can't be beat in a lot ways.

But never the less, I'm still thinking about those primes. I don't know if its the whole "you're expensive so you must be great" mind set, but I'd love to see how much better those would look on the FS100 than say the stock lens or my Canon Ls.

The tests I've seen so far has only involved the 5D and the general look is quite nice although a bit contrasty. I guess one could just shoot flat and apply contrast according to ones own taste afterwards.

Any of you had the pleasure of trying those out yet? Or any of the other PLs mentioned in the article?

In any case... which focal length would be a good starter, in case one could only afford one lens?

Kraut69
07-21-2011, 02:37 PM
Well, the Sony man who made the presentation at NAB said the FS-100's image will scale with the quality of the lens, meaning it will continue to improve right up to the professional lenses that few can afford. I would like to be able to see that scaling first hand.

Postmaster
07-21-2011, 03:05 PM
Donīt swat it, with 4:2:2 8 bit out of the HDMI or 4:2:0 8bit AVCHD you are barely gonna see a difference in picture quality, between a $7,600 Panchro and a vintage $120 Nikon AIs lens from Ebay.

And yeah, long focus throw, no breathing, color matched (way overrated in my book), matched front end size andwhatnot are nice to have, but there are a gazzilion factors, that can make your shot look bad. A lens is the last one - if you know what I mean.

Frank

Kraut69
07-21-2011, 03:32 PM
Well, that makes me feel better, Frank, thanks!

Postmaster
07-22-2011, 02:08 AM
Have a look at the Samyang/Rokinor 1.4 glass - best bang for the buck. Thy even outshine my Nikons at wide open.
I have the 58 and 35 and ended up using them most of the time.

Frank