PDA

View Full Version : NEX mount

willyy
07-20-2011, 06:16 PM
I'm looking into buying an FS100, but seeing as I have all Canon lenses I am looking to start adding some Nikon lenses to my collection. I'm trying to find a good adapter, but B&H doesn't seem to have any. I have been seeing a lot of NIK/NEX adapters out there, but those say they're for the NEX-3 and NEX-5. Will those adapters still work for the NEX-FS100, or are they meant for alpha mounts or something?

willyy
07-20-2011, 06:18 PM
for example, would this mount work, and is it a good one? do adapters affect focal length? http://www.fotodiox.com/product_info.php?products_id=651

jdv
07-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Been doing a lot of research into this, and the basic answer seems to be that you can use manual Nikon glass via a cheap "dumb" adapter and still achieve full functionality, but can not use EOS Canon glass with a similar adapter.

Birger is working on one - see this link for Phillip Bloom's review of a pre-pro model here:
http://philipbloom.net/2011/07/13/birger/

Unfortunately, it's not ready yet, and it will be expensive. Personally, I don't mind the wire link - somehow I'd trust that more then a wireless version (mind you, I don't know that that's the hold up, but given how well his version works, you have to think it is).

willyy
07-20-2011, 07:53 PM
Great, thanks for the reply! I have definitely been planning on buying the Birger mount when it comes out, just looking for some cheaper Nikon lenses and a dumb Nikon adapter to tide me over until then.

Mark Crabtree
07-20-2011, 08:14 PM
You can use Canon EF lenses with a dumb mount. You just get no aperture control. You have many options. 1. Carry a Canon camera on your shoots. Set the aperture with the camera, then, while depressing the depth of field button, remove the lens. It will retain that selected F stop. 2. Buy a full set of ND's. .3, .6, .9, 1.2, 1.5, 1.8, 2.1.3. Buy a vari-ND.I do all the above.

willyy
07-20-2011, 08:37 PM
The information I was really looking for was if any NIK/NEX mount would work on the FS100, or if there were only a few specific NIK/NEX mounts that would work with the FS100.

I don't intend on buying a dumb mount for my Canon lenses since I will be buying the Birger mount, and I also want to begin buying Nikon lenses seeing as A. the glass has a better reputation and B. I do a lot of run and gun filming, so even with the Birger mount I will have to use the remote to change aperture. I would rather just be able to turn the aperture ring on a Nikon lens when I'm on the go.

jdv
07-20-2011, 09:22 PM
You can use Canon EF lenses with a dumb mount. You just get no aperture control. You have many options. 1. Carry a Canon camera on your shoots. Set the aperture with the camera, then, while depressing the depth of field button, remove the lens. It will retain that selected F stop. 2. Buy a full set of ND's. .3, .6, .9, 1.2, 1.5, 1.8, 2.1.3. Buy a vari-ND.I do all the above.

And that nicely sums up why I'm selling my Canon glass.

Love Canon and all, but those work arounds equal death on a set if you're trying to shoot 10 pages a day. Hell, if you're trying 5 pages.

$20 adapter + Nikon glass = go time w/ the FS100. Canon EOS ='s 3 days behind schedule on day 1 and an insane 1st AC. No thanks.

willyy
07-20-2011, 09:26 PM
And that nicely sums up why I'm selling my Canon glass.

Love Canon and all, but those work arounds equal death on a set if you're trying to shoot 10 pages a day. Hell, if you're trying 5 pages.

$20 adapter + Nikon glass = go time w/ the FS100. Canon EOS ='s 3 days behind schedule on day 1 and an insane 1st AC. No thanks.

True, but get a Birger mount and you'll be set!

jdv
07-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Well sure - but they don't even have the AF100 or RED mount yet, and those cams were released before the FS100. And if the pricing rumors of $800 are true, I'd rather sell off the limited amount of EOS glass I have and pick up Nikons.

However, if I had a boat load of L glass, I'd definately think differently. Regardless, I can't use what's not available. Again, if any of the powers that be read this stuff, I'd tell them to give us a wired version (hopefully for cheaper) if that gets it to market sooner.

mico
07-20-2011, 09:43 PM
But the birger will be a huge benefit for focusing. You'll be able to mount the controller anywhere so there won't have to be any reaching for focus or aperture rings. Its wireless, you can give it to your AC or you can put it right by your shoulder rig handle for self operation, if you're run and gunning. I'm keeping the Canon glass. The birger is going to make camera life so much easier.