PDA

View Full Version : Tamron 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Thoughts?

Budgieboots
07-20-2011, 11:47 AM
Have any of you used the Tamron 18-250 F3.5-6.3?

http://www.vistek.ca/store/CameraLenses/237691/tamron-af-18250mm-f3563-diii-ld-lens-for-nikon-nii-hood.aspx

Seeing as how it appears nearly identical to the Sony stock lens (18-200 F3.5-6.3), except with a further reach -- is it a better investment? Do they perform comparably on the FS100?

eheath
07-20-2011, 11:57 AM
nah man, that lens is garbage. not only is the zoom range wayyyy to big, but its a 3rd party brand. youd be much better off with the kit lens (AF, IS, etc) or buying a smaller range of zooms for a little more. there is a reason that lens is 500 bucks, it sucks.

gene_can_sing
07-20-2011, 12:02 PM
For video, it's better to have a constant aperture. f3.5 to f6.3 will cause a flicker whenever you do any type of zoom, plus the aperture changes. Not ideal at all for video. Try to buy zooms that have a fixed f2.8 at least.

sinapps
07-20-2011, 12:07 PM
Not to mention that this is a telescoping lens so forget using a mattebox

DOSMedia
07-20-2011, 12:19 PM
For video, it's better to have a constant aperture. f3.5 to f6.3 will cause a flicker whenever you do any type of zoom, plus the aperture changes. Not ideal at all for video. Try to buy zooms that have a fixed f2.8 at least.

No flicker or aperture click with the kit lens, which is why I recommend it to anyone doing run and gun shooting. You can zoom with it.

If you want a lens like this though, get the kit lens. You can zoom with it, it has autofocus that does work, and OIS that works as well.

I only recommend it though for run and gun shooting or action sports.

alaskacameradude
07-20-2011, 01:39 PM

Nope, you are wrong. Unless I somehow have a 'special' kit lens. My kit lens does not have any sort of 'flicker' whatsoever when I do any zooming.....smooth as can be. Yes it's slow, but for
outdoor shooting, it really doesn't matter, you need ND for it outdoors, slow as it is. The kit lens is great for run and gun shooting as long as there is plenty of light.
Smooth iris, and the auto functions work pretty good, as well as a nice IS feature. Now I would agree that getting a few 2.8 zooms is a very good idea. But every variable lens does
not cause 'flicker' when the zoom is changed

eheath
07-20-2011, 02:18 PM
Nope, you are wrong. Unless I somehow have a 'special' kit lens. My kit lens does not have any sort of 'flicker' whatsoever when I do any zooming.....smooth as can be. Yes it's slow, but for
outdoor shooting, it really doesn't matter, you need ND for it outdoors, slow as it is. The kit lens is great for run and gun shooting as long as there is plenty of light.
Smooth iris, and the auto functions work pretty good, as well as a nice IS feature. Now I would agree that getting a few 2.8 zooms is a very good idea. But every variable lens does
not cause 'flicker' when the zoom is changed
id be willing to bet about 100 bucks the tamron would flicker. the kit lens is 900 for a reason, its about the best kit lens you can buy. the tamron is 500 bucks.

alaskacameradude
07-20-2011, 03:02 PM
id be willing to bet about 100 bucks the tamron would flicker. the kit lens is 900 for a reason, its about the best kit lens you can buy. the tamron is 500 bucks.

You very well may win that bet. I was merely saying that a blanket statement that 'a F 3.5 to 6.3 will cause flicker whenever you do any type of zoom' is not correct. Like you say, I'd go with
the kit lens......and the good thing is, if you buy the FS-100 as a kit, you only pay $600 for the kit lens, it cost significantly more if you buy it separate. The kit lens actually works BETTER
for video than some other still lenses I've seen, no visible iris 'stepping' at all. Like many have said, it is slow, which isn't as much a problem with this camera with the chip it has. But for
the shallower depth of field, you have to get to the mid focal lengths and beyond. I'd definitely get a faster lens as well, after all, it IS an interchangable lens camcorder!!