PDA

View Full Version : Monitors

morgan_moore
07-20-2011, 09:36 AM
OK Im after a monitor

I dont want an EVF because I find being 'in' the frame innapropriate to my work which may involve interacting with the subject

Im not interested in 480px monitors it needs to be 1280 or there abouts to actually focus on the screen

It should run from sony batts and also my Vlock system

I like 1:1 inspection of the image

I dont really dig peaking or zebras bs because IMO the are not fine enough for guiding focus on narrow DOF cameras

I would love a method of examining the colour distribution of an image - I miss the RBG histo from my 5d

I need a decent screen shade

And decent bite of the 1/4 thread plate, ideally more than one 1/4 mount point

Flip and reverse (mirror) are also cool features

---
In the future I may get an offboard recorder - probably Sound Devices - I love the brand

At that point the monitor would be run from the output to the recorder - daisy chaining into a recorder sounds mad

I suppose I need HDMI and SDI in therefore

---

Small HD seems the obvious choice - but does that have HDMI and SDI in at the same time?
I love their shades

I dont think SmallHD has a method of examining colour

TV logic VFM 056 has also come onto my radar

There may be a marshal option too

Or even Transvideo - but their HD options are steep

THoughts?

TimurCivan
07-20-2011, 09:41 AM
Small HD. Nothing will have 100% of what you need. But it covers almost all of what you are looking for.

Stephen Mick
07-20-2011, 09:43 AM
For the FS-100, I think the TVLogic is a better choice. Since the FS-100 doesn't have the on-board waveform, the TVLogic will give you that, along with the ability to send an HD-SDI signal out to a client monitor if necessary.

I love me some SmallHD, but in this case, I think the TVLogic makes a little bit more sense.

rejdmast
07-20-2011, 09:49 AM
The SmallHD monitor (the SDI version) has loop through with the SDI input. It also has HDMI, component, and composite input.
It doesn't have a WFM but has two different methods of viewing levels with false colors.

The sunshade is the best I have ever seen. If it works under noon day sun in Las Vegas it will work anywhere!

Stephen Mick
07-20-2011, 09:51 AM
The SmallHD monitor (the SDI version) has loop through with the SDI input. It also has HDMI, component, and composite input.
It doesn't have a WFM but has two different methods of viewing levels with false colors.

The sunshade is the best I have ever seen. If it works under noon day sun in Las Vegas it will work anywhere!

So you can take an HDMI signal from the FS-100 and send it out via the HD-SDI connections on the DP6?

EDIT…

I see that feature now on the SmallHD website. Not sure why it's tucked away, I'd tout that as a key feature.

morgan_moore
07-20-2011, 09:53 AM
I have two DP1x - and do love the sunshade :)

Its just too big for handheld

S

morgan_moore
07-20-2011, 09:55 AM
I dont need levels - they are on the onboard monitor (or the main mon when not using a recorder)

Im after RGB levels or some other way of examining colour channels

S

legrevedotcom
07-20-2011, 11:05 AM
Im currently saving up for a Marshall 651STX... Since I'll be steadicamming this camera as well, I need something that is actually viewable in direct sunlight. Most around (in fact almost all inexpensive) are bad bad bad in sunlight. The look nice and have nice contrast and color, but just disappears once you get outside.
The Marshall 651stx is viewable because of its transflective (anti-glare) screen, and have a quite nice color rendition anyways.

BHPhotovideo retails them for 1631 dollars
In the UK you can get it from http://www.prokit.co.uk (http://www.prokit.co.uk/index.php?view=product&product=Marshall-6.5-inch-HDMI-Monitor)

It does however not have dual input.

morgan_moore
07-20-2011, 11:21 AM
Indeed - worth a consideration, res seems reasonable

Viewability is importatnt - but the SmallHD shade does a good job - bit big though

I have a transvideo for my steadicam - expensive, low res and blindingly bright !

transvideo dont seem to put the res of monitors on their website, they do have build quality for abuse however

S

Rick Burnett
07-20-2011, 11:23 AM
I had the DP1x and I moved to the DP6, and never regretted it. The color reproduction on the DP6 is superior to the DP1x. It has the same panel as the TVLogic, however, the firmware in both is different. If you are not after the extra features of the TVLogic, I'd take the smallHD without question. I love mine. Can't wait to try out the DP4 as well.

morgan_moore
07-20-2011, 11:32 AM
What are the features of the Logic that are not on the DP6?

Rick Burnett
07-20-2011, 11:36 AM
There are definitely some, but I'd ask some others that have used the TVLogic. Waveform and audio through HDMI are two I remember, but there are others. When I was deciding myself, I just couldn't justify the extra cost for the TVLogic for what I wanted. The smallHD hit my price point and I am happy enough using the histogram on the FS100.

morgan_moore
07-20-2011, 11:46 AM
The logic is cheaper in the UK if you are registered for VAT

891 UKP for the SmallHD including shipping (the bundle) - I had to pay customs too on my DP1

There is this TVL 775UKP
http://www.proav.co.uk/Monitors-LCD-OLED/Location-LCD/p29772_sc578.aspx#productInformation

Or this one.. 1040 UKP
http://www.proav.co.uk/Monitors-LCD-OLED/Location-LCD/p29780_sc578.aspx

I gues the cheaper one does not have the waveform but seems the cheapest mon with HDMI SDI (in and out) and HDMI in

S

Rick Burnett
07-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Yeah, the TVLogic is definitely more for me in the US.

morgan_moore
07-20-2011, 11:52 AM
there seem to be two versons one with WF (expensive) and one without

cant see if the cheaper one has other ommissions

TimurCivan
07-20-2011, 01:10 PM
So you can take an HDMI signal from the FS-100 and send it out via the HD-SDI connections on the DP6?

EDIT…

I see that feature now on the SmallHD website. Not sure why it's tucked away, I'd tout that as a key feature.

WHAT!!!!! That is so clutch! It makes monitoring off dslrs possible!!!!!!!

rejdmast
07-20-2011, 01:44 PM
Where do you see that?

This is from the SmallHD website:

Does the DP6 do HDMI to SDI loop through? (http://www.smallhd.com/s.nl/ctype.KB/it.I/id.276/KB.747/.f?category=36)

Currently none of our monitors support native HDMI to SDI loop through.

Why not:
The DP6 is not capable of HDMI to SDI loop through because there just isn't enough physical space for the hardware.
We have however created a great product to help with this short coming. We created a USB powered HDMI splitter that can be powered
directly from the monitor itself. See SmallHD HDMI Splitter.

I also have the DP6 with SDI and cannot do it.

Rick Burnett
07-20-2011, 01:48 PM
We are offering two models to choose from – theDP6-SLR and the DP6-SDI; they are identical in every way except for the addition of a 3G/HD/SDI input & passthru output on on the DP6-SDI.

http://www.smallhd.com/Products/DP6_hardware.html

(http://www.smallhd.com/Products/DP6_hardware.html)I think this means SDI to SDI passthrough, not HDMI to SDI.

Stephen Mick
07-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Ah, gotcha.

speedracerlo
07-20-2011, 02:36 PM
DP6 never had pass through of any kind, one of the main reasons why I chose TVlogic over SmallHD
only the new DP4 has HDMI to HDMI pass through which is nice, but SDI would be better

Rick Burnett
07-20-2011, 02:38 PM
DP6 never had pass through of any kind, one of the main reasons why I chose TVlogic over SmallHD
only the new DP4 has HDMI to HDMI pass through which is nice, but SDI would be better

It does have SDI-to-SDI passthrough.

speedracerlo
07-20-2011, 03:06 PM
I just checked the website again and it's a bit unclear what it means with HD SDI as there is only one HD SDI input so it must output through the HDMI or component?

Rick Burnett
07-20-2011, 03:09 PM
I just checked the website again and it's a bit unclear what it means with HD SDI as there is only one HD SDI input so it must output through the HDMI or component?

No, there are two SDI ports. Look here:

http://www.smallhd.com/Products/DP6.html

One in, and the other out (which is a passthrough). I own the monitor and can verify two connectors.

Postmaster
07-20-2011, 03:19 PM
What are the features of the Logic that are not on the DP6?

I was wighting between the DP6 and Logic for weeks. The reson I went for Logic is

1. Professional scopes (waveform and vector) and I mean really pro - not the pixel blobs you see on some cameras.
2. The first absolute usable, precise and finetunable peaking I ever saw- makes focusing a breze.
3. false color, which is a dream for skin tones
4. 3G SDI - future proof (to some degree)

If you buy it, forget the sunshade - itīs crap. The Hoodman for RED is way better and cheaper.

Frank

Rick Burnett
07-20-2011, 03:21 PM
I was wighting between the DP6 and Logic for weeks. The reson I went for Logic is

1. Professional scopes (waveform and vector) and I mean really pro - not the pixel blobs you see on some cameras.
2. The first absolute usable, precise and finetunable peaking I ever saw- makes focusing a breze.
3. false color, which is a dream for skin tones
4. 3G SDI - future proof (to some degree)

If you buy it, forget the sunshade - itīs crap. The Hoodman for RED is way better and cheaper.

Frank

The DP6 has false color and peaking as well, and I've thought they both work really well. Granted, I have not compared them to the TV-Logic, but the features do exist. I *really* wish the FS100 would allow you to show EVERYTHING you see in the onboard LCD out the HDMI. Sadly, no.

Postmaster
07-20-2011, 03:51 PM
I tried both hands on and found the peaking on the Logic way better.
That and the Waveform where making me buy the Logic.

I Wish I could update the firmware the same way the DP6 does though.

Frank

speedracerlo
07-20-2011, 04:00 PM
Nvm sorry about the confusion Rick, I thought that the DP6 HD SDI was a dual link input of some kind.
That Hoodman for the RED 5.6" is awesome, and at only half the price of the TVlogic hood I'm buying one for sure. Thanks for the find Frank.

I found that the peaking function on the TVlogic to be a bit weird because it would peak on all the text on screen and even peak on its own menu.. Is there a way around this?

SergeSmArt
07-20-2011, 07:16 PM
...So you can take an HDMI signal from the FS-100 and send it out via the HD-SDI connections on the DP6?

Sorry, guys.. I'm not so familiar with it... but . .WHY do we need to take signal from FS-100 to external monitor from "HDMI-out" ?? :huh: ... Seems better to use it for external recording. . ( ...as soon as someone make reall 4-4-4 recording possible :) ) .. and use "COMPONENT-OUT" from FS-100 for your external monitoring ... .. personally I don't feel I need any monitor ( exept when camera will be on TOP, on CRANE or on-Steadycam ... )

Stephen Mick
07-20-2011, 07:19 PM
It all depends on your needs. In some scenarios, you might need to feed a monitor for client viewing. Or you might simply want a monitor with built-in waveform (TVLogic) to help judge exposure.

An external recorder is nice, but not needed in many shooting situations. It just comes down to what your needs are, and what the nature of the shoot is.

Rick Burnett
07-20-2011, 08:57 PM
It all depends on your needs. In some scenarios, you might need to feed a monitor for client viewing. Or you might simply want a monitor with built-in waveform (TVLogic) to help judge exposure.

An external recorder is nice, but not needed in many shooting situations. It just comes down to what your needs are, and what the nature of the shoot is.

My DP6 is SUPERIOR to the onboard LCD on the FS100 (and any camera I have used really). You don't need it, but, for me, it makes pulling focus or hitting focus even easier given it is 720p. Plus, it's larger, and I find it is easier to frame and hit the exposure I want with a larger shot. I was SO against external LCDs till I tried one, now I almost NEVER not use it.

morgan_moore
07-20-2011, 09:45 PM

Frank

This is going to sound nuts to you video people but .. (coming from a stills background)

Ive been judging exposure using histogram for years .. I dont feel happy with waveform or see the need for it (I have it on my transvideo steadicam monitor)

I do colour balance using the three colour histogram on stills cameras

-fill the frame with a grey card

-align the three colour peaks by changing the col temp wheel

Often I will dial in a little 'offness' by allowing a little extra red (for a warm interior) or a little extrab blue (for a cold exterior look) etc

Do you think that I could use the colour checker (on the logic) to do this ?

I guess when you point at grey you should just get a dot in the middle

As you dial the colours on the camera you should be able to move that dot around (to correct or dial in a look)

Also..

Is it a quick process to..

-turn the colour checker on/off
-go to 1:1 view (top centre) and back to full screen

S

morgan_moore
07-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Another Q about the TVL

it is rated at 6-12V

how does this sit with Vlocks that are 14.4 fully charged?

how do you power yours

S

Postmaster
07-20-2011, 11:25 PM
how do you power yours

S

I power mine (and everything else on my rig, including the camera) with this here: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/2011/07/04/power-your-whole-rig-from-one-v-mount-all-voltages-plus-hdmi-spillter-usb-charger/

I f you are a "histogram person" it will take you a while to get used to waveform. Though itīs basically the same information, it is presented in a different way.

The false color function on the Logic doesnīt show color temperature, but luminance levels on the picture. A bit like a heat image camera.
Your skin tones are pinkish, everything above that has "hot colors" from red and yellow to white. Everything under middle gray has "cold colors".
Itīs a bit confusing at the beginning, but as soon as you start to think in the heat picture analogy, it makes total sense and you start to love it (at least I do).

To answer your question: No, you cant dial in your color temperatures with that.

Frank

morgan_moore
07-20-2011, 11:44 PM
Thank you

Now (again from a stills background) I just dont really get how you video people judge color

(without an RGB histo like on the 5d)

My stills workflow is simple - take a photo of a gregtag card - sort it in post using that frame as a reference - I can dial in perfect white or a look - no worries - or degradation to the final image

Should I return to that location weeks or months later I can still be consistent.. without taking notes!

-------

How do you do judge colour given that..

-You are working in a narrow space that degrades when you do post
-You are on set with a crappy little monitor that isnt properly calibrated
(by crappy I mean compared to a 23inch eizo in the office calibrated using spyder)
-the light levels on set may colour your vision
-The colour controls in the FS are fairly basic

Thanks

S

========
An example of my stills work is here colour ciritcal (or the client gets returned product and incurs costs) the balls are taken over months as stock rotates ..
http://www.blackeryarns.co.uk/knitting-wool-yarns/dyed-yarns?limit=all
I just dont get how a vid person would replicate this

Postmaster
07-21-2011, 01:59 AM
I shoot as flat as possible and grade in post. I grade about everything anyway (if itīs not urgent ENG for news or thelike) to get the desired look for the film, so tweaking the WB while there, is no problem.

I was surprised how good the sheer AVCHD of the FS100 holds up in post though.

But my normal workflow is to convert to Cineform 4:4:4 10 bit and grade with first light (nondestructive).
For high quality stuff I record uncompressed. In the moment with a workstation, as soon as the Hypershuttle talks to the FS100 I gonna use that.

Frank

morgan_moore
07-21-2011, 02:43 AM
IMO such an approach will compromise your final image quality - Of course tweaking and applying a look is part of a workflow but the image from the camera is still thin at the end of the day .. or maybe its not with a recorder

It would be interesting to see some tests ie record a scene under tungsten with daylight settings and correct both onboard and recorder footage

S

alaskacameradude
07-21-2011, 03:20 AM
Not tryin to be a smart a$% or anything, but I was taught to always white balance under the light I was shooting in. Anytime I move, I re white balance. For color, that's all you need
to do. Now if you are talking exposure.....that's a whole nother story.

morgan_moore
07-21-2011, 03:28 AM
.. you white balance off a scene - what if the scene is a sport team all wearing red shirts ?

or you stop down and balance off the source (what I do)

Taking it up a level you return to the scene six months later and need the footage to match

or maybe you are shooting two cameras

Point and click seems a little random to me

OK - but random

S

Postmaster
07-21-2011, 03:51 AM
QUOTE=morgan_moore;2393755]IMO such an approach will compromise your final image quality

S[/QUOTE]

Thatīs the reason why I sing the gospel of uncompressed till delivery (or at least Cineform - which is the next best thing to uncompressed).

As I said, the AVCHD holds up way better than I thought - for local advertising, industrial, corporate and low budget stuff, itīs absolute usable including color correction.
For that kind of projects I donīt even considering to convert into something else. You can see some examples here:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?255736-Grabs-from-a-national-radio-image-film&highlight=

Maybe we sweat it too much. Most things you see in theatres was trancoded, graded and compressed multiple times, and it still looks good enough.

Frank

morgan_moore
07-21-2011, 03:59 AM
Frank - those images are really nice - most of my images look good too

back to the topic

My DP1x and the onboard monitor (as expected) look totally different - I dont trust judging off a (location) monitor

Im just enquiring if there is a monitor or other tool that gives a reading of colour be that RGB histo or somthing else..

BTW what im doing at the moment is experimenting with my old ExpoDisc which may add a little more consistency

S

Mark Crabtree
07-21-2011, 04:50 AM
You are so right. Only we see the tiny differance in image quality.
QUOTE=morgan_moore;2393755]IMO such an approach will compromise your final image quality SThatīs the reason why I sing the gospel of uncompressed till delivery (or at least Cineform - which is the next best thing to uncompressed).As I said, the AVCHD holds up way better than I thought - for local advertising, industrial, corporate and low budget stuff, itīs absolute usable including color correction. For that kind of projects I donīt even considering to convert into something else. You can see some examples here: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?255736-Grabs-from-a-national-radio-image-film&highlight=Maybe we sweat it too much. Most things you see in theatres was trancoded, graded and compressed multiple times, and it still looks good enough.Frank[/QUOTE]

Rick Burnett
07-21-2011, 06:39 AM
I found the DP1x not to be ANYWHERE near as good as the DP6 in terms of color reproduction. I loved my DP1x for the freedom and size of image it gave me, but I always felt it exaggerated the contrast in scenes quite a bit, which I do not see on the DP6.

As for color, we just aren't as picky, we fix it in post. We've been doing this with the HVX200, 7D, AF100 and now the FS100. I listed them in this order because that is the order in which we think the cameras are forgiving in terms of grading. The FS100 image can REALLY be pushed pretty far, and I was amazed by that.

One thing I will say, most of the shoots I am on are go go go. Trying to mess with color settings in the scene menus is just not practical to me. I can white balance, I set exposure, I set aperture, and then I go. For blowouts, I just the histogram, zebras, and I just look at the image. I'm not afraid of blowouts in my scene, but I do know when I don't like how they look. So I am just careful and use the DP6 to check them. I've never been dissatisfied with doing this.

I don't shoot photography, so I can't really comment there, but from my own thoughts, I think it's really different in the sense, you are framing ONE shot. With motion capture, you have movement of both talent AND possibly the camera. For this reason, you have to build in margin to your exposure since small changes can push what you see up and down intensity wise. With a camera with a low noise signature, you get a little more freedom in post for that, but if you want to prevent clipping, you've got to check around at what could clip even though what you are currently pointing at will not.

mico
07-21-2011, 06:42 AM
You white balance off the source light

Set color bars.
You use a high quality monitor as you can afford that has the ability for true color bar adjustment with real color bars.

If the image is not to your liking you adjust your PP

Get the image as close as possible to what you want if you're staying AVCHD

Use an off board recorder with better codec if you want to post work the color.

Relying on AVCHD for post working color and keeping a good quality image at the same time is a mistake. Unless al you're shooting for is youtube..

Rick Burnett
07-21-2011, 06:56 AM
You white balance off the source light

Set color bars.
You use a high quality monitor as you can afford that has the ability for true color bar adjustment with real color bars.

If the image is not to your liking you adjust your PP

Get the image as close as possible to what you want if you're staying AVCHD

Use an off board recorder with better codec if you want to post work the color.

Relying on AVCHD for post working color and keeping a good quality image at the same time is a mistake. Unless al you're shooting for is youtube..

You can push AVCHD pretty far, but if you are doing VERY heavy grading, then yet, it's possibly going to be a problem. Shoot closer to what you want in camera. That said, I think AVCHD in both the FS100 and AF100 color wise can be pushed pretty far, a lot farther than my 7D could with it's H.264 implementation. The only way to know for sure is to test, test, test.

SergeSmArt
07-21-2011, 07:43 AM
My DP6 is SUPERIOR to the onboard LCD on the FS100....
Sorry. .but would you be so kind to SHOW me a picture of your "DP6" .. or link to it .. as I have no idea - what are you talking about ?? :huh:

Rick Burnett
07-21-2011, 07:47 AM
Sorry. .but would you be so kind to SHOW me a picture of your "DP6" .. or link to it .. as I have no idea - what are you talking about ?? :huh:

www.smallHD.com

:)

Kraut69
07-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Rick, I just got the DP6 yesterday for my FS-100 and will probably have some questions for you but I'll do my own investigating first. There are quite a few adjustments possible on the DP6, I am wondering if you have been able to come up with one set of settings that suffices for most situations, indoors and out, or are you constantly having to play with the settings on the DP6? I'm talking about color, sharpness, etc of the image (May not be a good question)

Rick Burnett
07-21-2011, 01:21 PM
I've been happy with mine out of the box. I went through all the settings and set the presets to 1:1 and edge detect. I use a sunshade outdoors. Given I've only done one shoot with the FS100 though, I still need time myself to evaluate what I saw with the FS100 and what I saw when reviewing footage.

With the AF100, which I used the DP6 with as well, I thought that the default settings matched close enough to what I saw later, so that's why I was using them.

Kraut69
07-21-2011, 06:30 PM
So, Rick, you are using the 1:1 I assume to enhance your ability to judge focus, but are you leaving it on most of the time (when you are moving around a lot) and doing framing with the FS100 LCD?

morgan_moore
07-22-2011, 09:04 AM
I found the DP1x not to be ANYWHERE near as good as the DP6 in terms of color reproduction. .

Agreed

Thanks for everyones thoughts

I think Im going to get a small HD

Ill get the SDi version so I could feed it from a HDMI driven recorder keeping the HDMI leads to a minimum

The deciding factors are..

-The shade
-Possible firmware upgrade path

I have encouraged them to add a method of evaluating colour in Firmware

S

Kraut69
07-22-2011, 12:48 PM
I find the DP6 method of focus peaking hopefully an advantage, although I haven't used it in all sitatuations. It is subtle, so it doesn't destroy the image with bold white/coloured outlines which interfere with the view, and also which also can blend into the background. Having been use to focus peaking on the FS100 and DSLR's with Magic Lantern, I thought the DP6 focus peaking wasn't working at first! Obviously, only a high resolution, large monitor could utilize this type of focus peaking.

Rick Burnett
07-24-2011, 10:10 AM
So, Rick, you are using the 1:1 I assume to enhance your ability to judge focus, but are you leaving it on most of the time (when you are moving around a lot) and doing framing with the FS100 LCD?

I don't leave it on after I set the focus, I set it back. I've gotten pretty good at setting focus with 720p and not needing 1:1, but, I still check on super shallow scenes to make sure I hit it right. If I have to pull focus, I just do it without it. I find with most lenses/cameras, after a few weeks of using them, you know where focus is most of the time.

sinapps
07-25-2011, 09:09 PM
Has anyone tried the Marshall LCD50 with the FS100?

morgan_moore
07-25-2011, 09:18 PM
it has a 480 px screen so cant really be relied upon for focus

of course its cheaper

If I was using cine lenses and had a focus puller id look for different specs in a monitor, small light bright and free of reflections - thats transvideo

EVFS are 480px too so they give the 480 res in a smaller lighter package than the marshall

S

sinapps
07-25-2011, 10:27 PM
Agreed for Run&Gun, but for still shots I'd assume that the higher magnification at 1:1 caused by the lower res of the panel would be beneficial.

robmneilson
07-26-2011, 06:11 AM
I'm kinda bummed that I'll have to use my Sony CLM V55 (with its 480 res!) for a little bit while I pay off my FS100 (arriving friday) and Lomo's! Does the FS100 LCD screen operate while the HDMI out is being used? I'm assuming I will use my monitor for framing, and keep the FS100 LCD on 1:1 mag if possible for close focus.

Rick Burnett
07-26-2011, 06:23 AM
The LCD stays on while using the HDMI port. :) Also, yes, you can leave expanded focus on while you shoot as well!

sinapps
07-26-2011, 06:28 AM
I'm kinda bummed that I'll have to use my Sony CLM V55 (with its 480 res!) for a little bit while I pay off my FS100 (arriving friday) and Lomo's! Does the FS100 LCD screen operate while the HDMI out is being used? I'm assuming I will use my monitor for framing, and keep the FS100 LCD on 1:1 mag if possible for close focus.

The problem with the built in expanded focus is that it is not 1:1. It is "about 2.0 times" according to the manual which puts it in the 720 category.

Rick Burnett
07-26-2011, 06:37 AM
The problem with the built in expanded focus is that it is not 1:1. It is "about 2.0 times" according to the manual which puts it in the 720 category.

I've used it and it works really well. Given the size of the LCD, I'd rather have 2x than just 1:1, but I'd prefer both. That said, I mostly use my DP6 with my FS100 which has 1:1 so maybe I just don't test it enough :)

robmneilson
07-26-2011, 06:39 AM
Thanks folks. 720 will work in a pinch since beggars can't be choosers. I'll be relocating from NYC to Houston Texas, so hopefully I can get some good freelance work down there to be able to purchase a DP-6 in the near future. Really looking forward to shooting tests with this camera this weekend.

Kraut69
07-26-2011, 06:45 AM
As far as I can figure out, no information generated by the camera comes over to the external monitor from the camera except the picture, no camera setting information appears, so if you are thinking that an external monitor will completely solve the problem of not being able to view the top mounted FS100 LCD when the camera is high above your head, the external monitor is not a complete solution.

robmneilson
07-26-2011, 07:12 AM
There has to be display information generated via the HDMI I'd imagine? I dont think I've ever had a camera that did not have that option for an external monitor.

sinapps
07-26-2011, 07:33 AM
P78 of the manual.
Display Output
Select "All Output" to duplicate on-screen displays on external monitor. Works with HDMI and composite.

Rick Burnett
07-26-2011, 07:40 AM
As far as I can figure out, no information generated by the camera comes over to the external monitor from the camera except the picture, no camera setting information appears, so if you are thinking that an external monitor will completely solve the problem of not being able to view the top mounted FS100 LCD when the camera is high above your head, the external monitor is not a complete solution.

This is incorrect. You can select all the information to display on the external LCD or not. What does NOT happen with the external LCD is the expanded zoom from the camera OR the edge detect. No zebras either. But, all other information, works great. I've tested and used personally.

morgan_moore
07-26-2011, 10:04 AM
One quirk is the histos dont show on the external monitor when the lil one is closed (on mine!)

S

davidwinters
07-27-2011, 09:40 AM
Sold my DP6 yesterday, TV Logic arrives tomorrow.

I'm mostly shooting jobs with a 5.6" on board, directors monitor, client monitor. The HDMI to SDI conversion will reduce the amount of crap attached to the camera, the boxes are not so much the issue, it is the cables for power and signal that cause all the delays and problems.

It is too stressful fighting HDMI splitter intermittent issues and broken HDMI connectors. For years I've been feeding two Dell 24" HDMI monitors over 50' cables, it sucks, I can't take the pressure anymore. I average 1 or 2 new 50' HDMI cables / month.

The waveform will be nice as well, but was not a deciding factor for my application.

If you don't need to send signal all over the place, the DP6 is the way to go.

Kraut69
07-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Another quirk on the FS100 is that if the marker is turned on, the only thing that displays on the external monitor is the time code.