PDA

View Full Version : Touch to color effect ***

Dvx Kid
07-17-2011, 05:24 PM
So I have this client that wants to shoot a music video in black an white, no biggie right?
then he mentioned he wanted it to be black and white until he touched something in the scene, in the which the object would return to full/normal color

Example: Character is walking down a parking lot, then puts his hand on one single car, and that car would restore to full color while everything else remains in black and white

If ANYONE has a site where i can learn how to do this, description, audio, or video instructions. i would truly appreciate it

Thanks
-Niko

clang
07-17-2011, 10:56 PM
A part-B&W and part-colour picture is easy enough, so long as your NLE can do masks - just have two layers of the same video (one with the B&W filter on), and the mask on the top layer, allowing parts of the bottom layer to show through the mask holes.

The hard part is that moving mask which controls the border between B&W and colour - at worst, you could be manually editing the mask's control points for every single frame, which would almost certainly be impractical. How hard it will be will depend a lot on the shots - if they're mostly shot from a locked-off tripod, that's much less work (as the mask will often remain unchanged for many frames at a time), but if it's shot handheld with lots of movement then expect a whole lot more work.

Dvx Kid
07-18-2011, 02:40 PM
you think mocha's motion tacking will help or theres some way i can use it to my advantage
*editing on fcp

clang
07-18-2011, 11:37 PM
I have no experience with Mocha's features. But if a motion tracking tool can auto-generate a mask, then that would certainly reduce the manual work involved. I presume you'd still need to manually set the initial mask for each shot, which could still be significant work if there are lots of brief shots, less work if there are lots of long shots.

From what I've read about motion tracking tools, their automation works a lot better with motion tracking markers (usually dots or crosses of tape) physically on the set - something that needs to be arranged before shooting. (And you also then need to remove those markers in post...) , , , , .. (And you also