PDA

View Full Version : What bag are you using for your FS100 kit?

legrevedotcom
07-16-2011, 01:36 AM
I just ordered an FS100, but I haven't found a bag for it yet. I guess the only thing I need at the moment, is a bag with enough space for the FS100 and accompanying accessories, a couple of Sennheiser G3 kits, and a ND filter.

I good ideas? I've been looking at bags over at proav.co.uk, but I can't really tell from the photos wether they are suitable or not :S Hope you guys can offer some help.

Thanks

cheezweezl
07-16-2011, 02:17 AM
How about a Kata Panda? It's a backpack that holds your camera, lenses, and a laptop. http://www.kata-bags.com/imagez/4727x264xpanda.PDF

I have one that is like new. $75 via Paypal, and it's yours. If you're outside of the LA area, I can ship it if you cover the costs.

Postmaster
07-16-2011, 02:55 AM
Though the Panda is great for certain situations, especially nature stuff, mountain climbing or run&gun in the trenches of a big city, I prefer something more protective - i.e. hard cases.

When we go on a regular shoot - like a commercial, narrative, doku andwhatnot, I have a flight case that swallows my complete Frank-N-Stein rig, including mattebox, flags, slate and some other stuff.
The lenses live in a separate Pleicase, so does the monitor, the recorder and the batteries. The SD cards have their own mini Pelicase :)

When I need something with a smaller footprint, I have a B&H case. It holds the camera, lenses, monitor and some other small gear.

Frank

MattDavis
07-16-2011, 03:07 AM
Thanks to Dan Chung (http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/danchung) who put me onto the ThinkTank Airport Accelleration (http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/airport-acceleration-backpack.aspx) for my EX1, I looked around for something that would fit my FS100 with growing glass collection and further support needs.

FWIW, I also have to travel with an Apple 17" MacBook Pro, its power supply and leads, and at least two bus powered FW800 drives for editing and backup. Oh yes, and the whole lot must be sized for international 'Carry On' and be light enough to live with day to day.

So I ended up with, you guessed it, another Airport Accelleration. Not totally sure about the new design over the old one, but it works for me so far.

The camera is stored with a Nikkor 17-55 2.8 (my 'standard' lens) with a Tokina 11-16, Sony 18-200, Tamron 2.5 Macro, Samyang 35mm 2.8, Nikkor 10.5 semi fish-eye. The Tamron and fisheye can be swapped out with a Sigma 50mm 1.4 if I'm doing talking heads.

There's a couple of mics, a Zoom H4n, the viewfinder tube, and the Zacuto Striker, 4x batteries, charger, cleaning and care materials, 8x cards in a little case, adaptor, mic cable and of course the little 'bag anorak'.

It is not a 'budget' item, but I've learned to avoid skimping on hard working luggage. The layout's not quite right yet, but that can take months to get right, but then you can check the job's kit with just a glance. BTW, if it's not obvious, this is a back-pack. The fully loaded EX1 pack varies between 14 - 17Kg. I haven't dared weigh this yet!

DM_rider
07-16-2011, 10:37 AM
I have an F stop bag. I use this when I'm hiking in somewhere a pelican can't go.
http://fstopgear.com/en/product/mountain/satori

morgan_moore
07-16-2011, 12:16 PM
I keep it in a tamrac bag

I have a second billinham bag with prime lenses ND mic cans

Actually shooting ill probably leave the tamrac n the van

S

perpetual
07-16-2011, 12:55 PM
I visited 3 of the large Boston area camera equipment supply houses, and found only 2 bags that would be big enough to put all the gear I want inside, provide a good level of protection - though not Pelican case-level - while having a reasonable weight, wheels and handle. The better one was the Think Tank Logistics Manager. I did not buy it yet because it cost $450, but will get it within a month. It had enough height inside to hold the FS100 with its mic holder/pseudo handle in place (at least 7.75 inches of height needed to be safe), the removable VF extension tube, several lenses from 16 to 200mm, 3 filters in protective holders, cables, lens cleaning supplies, small toolkit, a shotgun mic, FS100 manual, Zoom H4N, and several accessories. Most bags turned out to not be deep enough inside.

Dermot
07-16-2011, 02:55 PM
Three cases;
a LowePro all weather for run-n-gun, holds the body, rails/MB/FF and one Zoom, radio mic and my 15" MacBooKPro for checking shots
a Halliburton case that used to hold my CP16, (and it has a canvas case cover), it holds the body, three zooms, rails/MB/FF, filters, three primes, mic's - it's held camera's in it for 40 years now, good for general use
a medium Peli case for acc's

sinapps
07-16-2011, 03:38 PM
KATA OMB-74 One Man Band

Fits camera on rails with lens and mattebox.

http://kata-bags.com/product.asp?p_Id=481&Version=Video

P. Harrill
07-16-2011, 04:51 PM
@ Postmaster

What's the model of that B&H bag or do you have a link for it? I've got a backpack similar to some of the ones listed above and I'm going to have to upgrade soon.

Pcenginefx
07-16-2011, 08:04 PM
I decided on the Petrol Red ONE Bag - big enough for the camera+rails & mattebox attached, or a multicam shoot. I just did a 3 camera wedding shoot, and only had to take this one bag with me!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/622169-REG/Petrol_PRB_15_Red_Bag.html

profnoxin
07-17-2011, 03:00 AM
I have a mondo Pelican 1630 that allows me to carry the FS100 fully rigged (including the handheld rig portion of my Voltron-esque setup), plus my TV Logic 5.6, Ultralight support arm, hoodman, FS100 eyepiece, batteries, charger and FS100 top handle. It's epically huge, but rolling onto set with a fully rigged camera makes producers so very very happy.

legrevedotcom
07-19-2011, 09:27 AM
Thanks for all the input... In the end I started thinking about getting another Lowe Pro Runner 350AW, but while it's fine for my 5D, I thought I needed something more decent for the Sony. So I looked up some pelicases and the final decision landed on the Peli 1510 with deviders. From what I've read it will also lend some space to some accessories etc. (heck maybe I can even fit the Canon in there as well xP).

Important things:
- flight cabin sized
- has got wheels
- all the other good things about peli cases :P