PDA

View Full Version : Bit rates & quality of recording query

jdv
07-14-2011, 06:29 PM
Full disclosure - I'm a Canon fan. That said, I have a project coming up in the next 4 months and it sure as heck doesn't look like the Mark III will be out by then (assuming that it even will have video capability when it is released). I've been greatly impressed by both the Panny AF100 and FS100 footage - and the fact that they're both very small, yet have "true" video camera functionality.

My question about the FS100 regards recording quality - what exact quality can this camera record at? I know it can record 3 ways (please correct me if in error), either on a SD card, an internal Sony priority flash hard drive, or HMDI out to a hard drive based recording unit.

I read in another thread that Barry said the quality is the same for video recorded to the SD card or internal flash hard drive - but what is that quality? Are there variable recording quality rates (ala magic lantern for the Canons)?

Any help or information regarding this would be very appreciated.... Thanks!

bkmvincent
07-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Click on the specifications tab on the site, it has all the information you're wondering and more:

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-broadcastcameras/cat-nxcam/product-NEXFS100UK/

morgan_moore
07-14-2011, 10:57 PM
The FS whacks the canon when you record to card or the optional hard drive, put on an external recorder and it moves up another step

To me the main difference is the rainbow moiree from the canons

It also has onboard sound , solid mount points, big HDMi feeding out a decent signal to you monitor, no mirror getting in the way of PL lenses and a bunch of other stuff that make it friendly to the operator not to mention 50/60p at 1080

Of course the 5d gives a different an unique look, is smaller, lighter, cheaper, has more intuitive controls and other things going for it

S