PDA

View Full Version : FS100 vs Steadicam Pilot... will it fly?

legrevedotcom
07-13-2011, 01:37 AM
I'm in a pickle... I'd love to own both. But I'm affraid that the Pilot will succumb to the weight when accessories have been added. The camera with stock lense weighs in at 2.7kg, leaving just under 2 kg for accessories. That's not much :S Considering I would NEED a wireless FF AND a mattebox attached. For flying I imagine that I would just shoot to cards, so no need to fit an external recorder. And then add the little things like baseplate and quick release..

Any oppinions?

Thanks..

morgan_moore
07-13-2011, 02:21 AM
My pilot is pretty much maxed with a 5d, Hofo, Vlock, and no MB

My only space is to get a smaller Vlock

I reckon that the pilot will fly the FS with the kit lens - yep use AF

I guess you will max the pilot out if you get the FS and add a focus, mb large batt and all the toys

I would consider if you "NEED" a focus and MB

S

legrevedotcom
07-13-2011, 02:34 AM
Hm :S Everything I've learned just says that flying a steadicam without a focus is a nono. Also the FS would at all times need an MB wouldn't it to compensate for the lack of a ND wheel?

You say HoFo... how is that working out? Basicly the kit you mention is the exact kit I'm about to buy into: 5D, hofo, shoot35 base, vlock, before I started considering the FS100.

morgan_moore
07-13-2011, 02:44 AM
Well the FS has Auto focus - Its ok - at the wide end - it would work for (I guess) weddings/events and walktalks but not for drama where focus control is driven by elements of the story

I dont see the need for a MB just an Nd will do

So you dont 'need' a remote focus with the FS like you do 'need' it with a DSLR

---

As for my current rig - it works - the HoFo is good for the price but not as good as a $20k radio focus like Bartech or whatever

My biggest spend was a daylight viewble sceen

My rig has cost 3X what the pilot cost!

With the 5d I have the arm crank to the max all the time

If you are in the UK you could come and play

As for 5d vs Fs100 - as a general cam Id pick the FS every time

Maybe get The FS, a T2i and a $500 glidecam - if you are a shooter that has SC as a sideline

If you want to make a living from steadicam Id consider the investment in a larger rig that would fly the FS and all the toys with some spare capacity

S

legrevedotcom
07-13-2011, 02:53 AM
Valid point... It easy to get blinded by brands. To be honest I haven't checked out how the Glidecam works, so I cant even say I dont want it because of quality etc.
I'm going to meet up with a guy today that's selling a used Pilot for 2350 pounds with vlock and stand and then import an 651stx from BHphotovideo. So that is a bit tempting.

Qualitywise, I'd prefer the FS as well. But since I already have the 5D and some L lenses (Formally I'm a commercial photographer so I use the 5D mainly for stills). Alas, buying into the FS would set back my posibility to equip the 5D properly for steadicamming.

hehe... Me and wanting everything :P I guess it's back to the budget balancing.

speedracerlo
07-13-2011, 03:00 AM
I dont know about the Steadicam Pilot, but I currently use a Glidecam HD4000 modified with Berkey System adapter to fit on my Steadicam Pilot arm and vest
The Glidecam HD4000 and Pilot have the same load capacity at 10 lbs.
I just shot a piece of a music video with this setup and my FS100 with baseplate, rods, swingaway mattebox, and ND filters weighed in at around 9.5 lbs and worked perfectly on my Steadicam setup.
I don't have a wireless FF, but it hasn't bothered me much.

morgan_moore
07-13-2011, 03:11 AM
Valid point... It easy to get blinded by brands..

By glidecam I meant a $500 stabiliser of some sort that would work with a 5d or T2i and no bits aznd limited functionality

morgan_moore
07-13-2011, 03:14 AM
I dont know about the Steadicam Pilot, but I currently use a Glidecam HD4000 modified with Berkey System adapter to fit on my Steadicam Pilot arm and vest
The Glidecam HD4000 and Pilot have the same load capacity at 10 lbs..

The thing that is maxed out on my rig is not the gimbal but the arm

So that would be the same with the 4000 or pilot - unless the self weight of the 4000 is lower

It is obvious that our OP needs to do some careful maths .. if he feels the need for a FF

You might comment on the lens you used and if it was the kit lens the efficacy of the AF..

S

legrevedotcom
07-13-2011, 03:28 AM
Yes that would actually be nice to know about the lens. I guess that since I dont do a lot of fiction yet, the need for FF is not strictly there. I could probably manage without and that would free some funds for a different combo of gear.

morgan_moore
07-13-2011, 03:37 AM
It is also worth considering that the berger mount may provide remote focus be lighter than a HoFo and also hook your canon lens investment to an FS100

S

robmneilson
07-13-2011, 06:28 AM
I was thinking the same thing, we have a pilot at work and I'm going to invest in an FS100 next month. You probably can fly the bare bones FS100, but the load is going to be very very close to the max. Especially if you have a nice big lens on it. I'd try and find a steadicam flyer that's used. Usually you can find one for around 5k.

legrevedotcom
07-13-2011, 07:15 AM
Yeah... i know its a bad word in the av world but me budget is tight :S i managed to work some money around and let go of some items. That allows me to pick up.these:
Pilot
FS100
Marshall 651stx
Af100 baseplate
2 16 gb transcend cards
Var ND filter (not sure which)

What else is needed for barebones?