PDA

View Full Version : Clearing cards from Sony FS100

Justin M
07-11-2011, 05:58 PM
I have a question about dumping cards from the Sony Fs100 onto a hard drive. I've had no trouble getting the content off the cards using final cut but I will be taking a trip and want to be able to dump my cards off onto a computer that doesn't have final cut on it. I've always grabbed the .mov files from my old 7d. Do I just grab the MTS files off these cards? Thanks for the advice in advance.

harrisoncj
07-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Will you be using a mac? Just go to disk utility and make a read-only disk image (.dmg) of the card. Select the top tier name of the drive and click "new image", when the box appears tell it where you want to save the image and choose the option 'read-only' in one of the boxes. It will be a fool-proof copy of the card and will mount like a drive when you open it.

jetswing
07-13-2011, 10:50 AM
I have a question about dumping cards from the Sony Fs100 onto a hard drive. I've had no trouble getting the content off the cards using final cut but I will be taking a trip and want to be able to dump my cards off onto a computer that doesn't have final cut on it. I've always grabbed the .mov files from my old 7d. Do I just grab the MTS files off these cards? Thanks for the advice in advance.
Yes, just grab the MTS files using a card reader.

Justin M
07-13-2011, 02:56 PM
Thanks, I'm going to try both methods and see which is better.

David W. Jones
07-13-2011, 04:34 PM
harrisoncj posted the proper method.

Postmaster
07-14-2011, 12:58 AM
harrisoncj posted the proper method.

Seems pretty complicated to me. What´s the benefit over just grabbing the files and copy them where you want them?

jetswing
07-14-2011, 02:05 AM
Thanks, I'm going to try both methods and see which is better.

For FCP, you do need the other files for ingesting via Log and Transfer so copy and save the content of "BDMV" folder. You don't need to make an IMG for the SD card. Both methods will work fine but just copying the folder is simpler and faster.

For Windows/Premiere users just need to save the MTS files.

HeXman
07-14-2011, 02:48 AM
I did what harrisoncj posted but it took forever to finish...&nbsp;<meta charset="utf-8">Is there any other quicker way to do this? Maybe just dump all the MTS files into a folder and then have something to convert the files into .mov... I wonder if Final cut X will someday be able to read MTS files...

Postmaster
07-14-2011, 02:56 AM
LOL, what was the "P" standing for in FCP ?

mico
07-14-2011, 06:42 AM
Just copying does not give you file verification or checksum. A disk image gives you the ability of file verification. Like harrisoncj said: read only. If you think it takes too long there are programs like shotput pro that have file verification and checksum for insurance that you get an exact copy.

And always lock your SDHC card when transferring to avoid getting anything written back to the card.

jetswing
07-14-2011, 06:56 AM
Since when did Mac become so unreliable that you have to do a checksum when copying a file? I could only say one thing in situations like this, KISS.

morgan_moore
07-14-2011, 07:13 AM
In stills world Ive been copying whole cards into date folders for years with no data loss

On a super important I might Apple I a folder size to check it is the same size as the card

I would copy the structure and not the the MTS files, just in case the structure becomes useful on some future software

Personally Im doing this..
MTS -> Clipwrap -> .MOV -> mpegstreamclip -> ProRes -> Bin in FCP -> Edit

Once im using in 'anger' I will probably "unique-ise" the filename of the ProRes File - I do this using stills software 'photo mechanic' but Im sure there are other methods

ie 00023.mov would become 110723A_pepsi_00023.mov

where 11 is the year 07 is the month 23 is the day, A is the first card of the day, pepsi is the client and 00023 is the original generated file name

S

mico
07-14-2011, 07:19 AM
Its not just a mac issue. It occurs in the pc world too.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/Brilliant-File-Integrity-Verification-Utility

harrisoncj
07-14-2011, 11:26 AM
It's not about mac being reliable or not. It's to get a verified copy of the card, and to protect the file structure from being changed accidentally by myself or someone else. Changing the file structure can make all your footage useless because NLEs don't have the info they need to transcode the clips.

In stills world Ive been copying whole cards into date folders for years with no data loss

in the stills world, you don't need the entire file structure of you card to access your images.

morgan_moore
07-14-2011, 11:32 AM
well Ive just been grabing the MTS files anyway - no reliance on the structure

however with FCPx or suchlike one may need the structure .. I dont know

S